What's new

2021 6.2 Trailboss HELP

Amontoya23

Reaction score
Engine failed at 40,000 miles.

Was asked if I had it tuned or if I had done any mods? No
Was asked for Oil change history? Provided (every 7000 miles)

Still under power train warranty.
MY question for anyone out there is i was told i might have to pay possibly a portion because i have a 6" lift. Was told that increased load etc. could of contributed. SMH but if truck is rated for X amount tow capacity blah blah. How can they justify the lift being partially responsible for the engine failure. Does anyone have experience with this or have any advise on how to proceed. Should I be liable? Gm has their best interest at hand but who has mine? I'm in AZ and 75 percent of Chevy's trucks on the road are lifted.

The dealers sell "factory modified" trucks as well with at least a 6" lift (whoever they send them to), I would fight them as it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

They have to prove that is the direct cause, aftermarket parts do not void a warranty unless it is the direct reason for failure, I have a Pulsar LT intake exhaust lift and oversized tires, I had lifter failure, none of those would have any direct affect on lifters so they covered everything. now if I had replaced the cam then the lifters failed that would be different. I would absolutely make them prove that's the direct cause other wise call their customer care center and make a claim I did and they where actually pretty good with it.

Engine failed at 40,000 miles.

Was asked if I had it tuned or if I had done any mods? No
Was asked for Oil change history? Provided (every 7000 miles)

Still under power train warranty.
MY question for anyone out there is i was told i might have to pay possibly a portion because i have a 6" lift. Was told that increased load etc. could of contributed. SMH but if truck is rated for X amount tow capacity blah blah. How can they justify the lift being partially responsible for the engine failure. Does anyone have experience with this or have any advise on how to proceed. Should I be liable? Gm has their best interest at hand but who has mine? I'm in AZ and 75 percent of Chevy's trucks on the road are lifted.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act says that a manufacturer must be able to prove that an aftermarket modification caused the issue in question in order to deny warranty coverage. Look it up and quote it if they give you any grief again. I doubt they can prove the "extra load" caused it to fail that soon.

Sorry to hear you're in this situation...
It's been my experience that some dealership owners try harder to deny warranty work than others (they often don't get reimbursed by the manufacturer their full cost of repairs). If you have only contacted one dealer, maybe try a different service department or go direct to GM and start the process for a case review. As stated above, GM must prove that the modifications directly lead to failure. Best of luck!
CJ

Dealers don't void warranties, the manufacturers do. I don't see how a lift is the cause of an engine failure. It is a truck, not a Mazda Miata.

Dealers don't void warranties, the manufacturers do. I don't see how a lift is the cause of an engine failure. It is a truck, not a Mazda Miata.
Dealers are representatives of the manufacturer. Their input carries weight. You can escalate to GM, but might need to push hard to get GM to actually take a look instead of taking the dealers word for it.

Engine failed? is it the common valve train issue? Your truck could be lifted 5 feet and they should honer the PT warranty.

Having similar issue. My trail boss. Main bearings let go uphill with a 1900lb trailer attached, 3 hours from home. Had it towed to dealer and because i have a "Banks" sticker on my tailgate (I have a deleted and tuned L5P) they immediately went straight to asking if the engine was tuned and they would have to plug in to measure horsepower numbers and peak torque values. I know from being in GM's ASET program that these new ECM/TCM are Read only double encrypted. So if I had anything plugged in, it would leave a water mark. My engine had 58,000 miles on it and i bought it used in November. Still under bumper to bumper warranty. Its bewildering.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back