What's new

2021 Trail Boss Tire Advice

Rumble

Reaction score
Hello all, i have been trying to read all the posts on tires on here, and have come up with a few types i cant decide on so i wanted to see if anyone can lend me any advice. I mainly use the truck on highway. every now and then around the property to haul stuff, or haul my small trailer with the dirt bike and 4 wheeler. Travel a ton to different states for baseball tournaments, so pack up everything in bed and travel. So road noise is big for us that way we dont have to talk loud or turn raid up to drum out the humming lol. i have the wrangler duratac orginals on the truck with about 28k miles. every 5-6k tires have been rotated with oil change, but wow they are now very loud. here are the ones i found that i have been trying to read on. stock size 275/65/R18

Nitto Ridge Grappler
Nitto Terra Grappler G2
Toyo Open Country A/T
Falken Wildpeak A/T
Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S

Thx again everyone love this forum so far with advice and directions :)

I really like my Toyo Open Country lll. Smooth and quiet but good off road too.
Good luck👍

I run Toyo Open Country AT3 in 275/70/R18. It's a true 33" tire. Load Range E. Awesome tire that rides smooth and is quiet.

All mud terrain tires will generate some level of noise as they wear. They also wear out much faster than all terain because there is less surface area on the ground. For the usage you listed I would scratch all MT tires off your list. All Terrain tires are not inferior to MT tires in any way, even in many off road conditions. The truth is many guys run MT tires because they like the aggressive look of them but never get them dirty. Unless you are going to 4wheel often in soft surface conditions you don't need them. They look great but the trade off is low milage and noise.

The BFG AT KO2 mentioned above is my tire of choise. I wore out three sets of them on another vehicle. I used them in very harsh off road conditions, towed a 7,500 lb trailer all over the western states, with no problems at all. As far as the stock Goodyears on my TB go.....I have ripped open sidewalls 4 times! I have road hazard on them so I am stuck in a loop of garbage Goodyears. Eventually they will get replaced with the BFG KO2.
I do know your list is not about MT tires. This was just a rant :)

Steve

Last edited:
All mud terrain tires will generate some level of noise as they wear. They also wear out much faster than all terain because there is less surface area on the ground. For the usage you listed I would scratch all MT tires off your list. All Terrain tires are not inferior to MT tires in any way, even in many off road conditions. The truth is many guys run MT tires because they like the aggressive look of them but never get them dirty. Unless you are going to 4wheel often in soft surface conditions you don't need them. They look great but the trade off is low milage and noise.

The BFG AT KO2 mentioned above is my tire of choise. I wore out three sets of them on another vehicle. I used them in very harsh off road conditions, towed a 7,500 lb trailer all over the western states, with no problems at all. As far as the stock Goodyears on my TB go.....I have ripped open sidewalls 4 times! I have road hazard on them so I am stuck in a loop of garbage Goodyears. Eventually they will get replaced with the BFG KO2.
I do know your list is not about MT tires. This was just a rant :)

Steve
It's a good rant 🙂 and great information. I will read up in the bfg at ones. Do u know what the milage life expectancy is on those?

They are guaranteed for 50,000 miles. They also claim the sidewall is 20% stronger. I believe it, I tore them up in the desert for years and never had a problem. IMHO they are worth the few extra bucks.

Steve

They are guaranteed for 50,000 miles. They also claim the sidewall is 20% stronger. I believe it, I tore them up in the desert for years and never had a problem. IMHO they are worth the few extra bucks.

Awesime

Steve

Steve

Steve

ok great. i will read up on those. i know my old truck was the silverado redline edition 2018 and i got the Bridgestone Dueler 3 and those were great tires if i remember correctly so definitely interested in seeing if there are even better ones then those out there for noise.

I love my BFG Ko2 tires… So much quieter than the stock Duratracs… They have been excellent in snow and mild off-road so far.. 12,000 miles on them so far..

I just got the nitto ridge grappler lt295/70/18 on stock rims and they are amazing and quiet. Definitely a must have. Also no cutting needed or any lift. Only thing I'm still figuring out is a good pressure to run them in, but other than that they are amazing.

Hello all, i have been trying to read all the posts on tires on here, and have come up with a few types i cant decide on so i wanted to see if anyone can lend me any advice. I mainly use the truck on highway. every now and then around the property to haul stuff, or haul my small trailer with the dirt bike and 4 wheeler. Travel a ton to different states for baseball tournaments, so pack up everything in bed and travel. So road noise is big for us that way we dont have to talk loud or turn raid up to drum out the humming lol. i have the wrangler duratac orginals on the truck with about 28k miles. every 5-6k tires have been rotated with oil change, but wow they are now very loud. here are the ones i found that i have been trying to read on. stock size 275/65/R18

Nitto Ridge Grappler
Nitto Terra Grappler G2
Toyo Open Country A/T
Falken Wildpeak A/T
Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S

Thx again everyone love this forum so far with advice and directions :)
I recently purchased and installed the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT’s. Great ties. Quiet, and aggressive.!!! Love them.

Most Reactions

Back