What's new

3x3 Pod Lights for FF Matrix Bumper

Trail_Boss_6.2

Reaction score
I will be installing a Fab Fours Matrix bumper on my 2021 Trail Boss - I'd like to install the 3x3 lights that would mimic (as close as possible) the factory lights (color temp and light pattern).
The Matrix supports two 3x3 lights per side and I was thinking of having one set as fog lights (clear that would be replacement of factory) and on set driving. Fog would be connected to factory wiring, driving would be on separate switch.

Looking for experiences / suggestion before sinking $$$ on lights.

Diode Dynamics are awesome in my experience. I’m running their SS3 Max fog lights and they are the brightest legal fog lights I’ve seen.

Good to know.. thanks. How do you like the amber? And did you get the Sport, Pro or Max?

I got the Max in amber, and they are great for the fog we get where I live. They’re crazy bright so I just keep them aimed down low.

Thanks Baz - I am did some research and think I will be going with a combination of Pro and Sport.
Pro for driving and sport for the fog (which will be on with low beams - less chance of annoying people).

Last edited:
Reactions: Baz
After further research. Ordered the both the Fog and Driving as the Pro version with the amber backlight.
They should be her on the 5th - at which time, if all goes well, I'll be able to install and finish Matrix bumper install.

Matrix bumper installed and the Pro SS3’s are the ticket. They are very bright but not bright enough to bother others. The Fogs are a great replacement for the stock fogs as they match the color temp of the stock led headlights. Would definitely recommend for anyone that is looking for the 3x3 POD lights.

Just wanted to add another vote for the SS3's. I used the Sports - one pair of fogs and one pair of driving - in my Warn Ascent bumper and they are fantastic. I have no idea why you would need the Pro's because the Sports are bright AF, but hey if that's your thing then go for it.

Just realized I never posted a pic of the lights installed. So here is it with the amber backlights on. Also added ditch lights since then (SS2 Pro's).
The SS3 Pro's fog lights are awesome. They are positioned to fill in the gap between the truck and the low beams as well as towards the sides, no one flashed high beams at me. (y)
I have only used the other lights offroad one so far - can you say daytime. :cool:
If I remember to, I'll get some night picks.

RockLight2.jpg

Just realized I never posted a pic of the lights installed. So here is it with the amber backlights on. Also added ditch lights since then (SS2 Pro's).
The SS3 Pro's fog lights are awesome. They are positioned to fill in the gap between the truck and the low beams as well as towards the sides, no one flashed high beams at me. (y)
I have only used the other lights offroad one so far - can you say daytime. :cool:
If I remember to, I'll get some night picks.

View attachment 6877
How did you do your wiring for that set up? Looks great man.

How did you do your wiring for that set up? Looks great man.
If you are referring to the switches. I have the Auxbeam remote switchbox installed on the fuse box under the hood. Held on with industrial velcro.
I just have the control box sitting in the console - haven't mounted that yet. It's been out of the way and easily reached, so its not high on the list.
https://auxbeam.com/products/ar-800-multifunction-rgb-switch-panel-system-qp008526-1
AuxBeamSwitchBox.jpg
IMG_6722.jpeg

If you are referring to the wiring for the lights in bumper, it's all in wire loom that go to the switchbox above. Except for the fog lights, they are using the factory fog light switch.

8_BumperWiring.JPG

Ditch lights have a hole drilled in the plastic covers by the windshield, the brackets a little expensive and are made by SDHQ. But they don't bolt to the hood.
Link to discussion on ditch lights and brackets : https://www.trailboss.org/threads/ditch-light-brackets-for-2021-tb-opinions-and-pics.1872/
RockLight_1.jpg

Let me know if I answered your question or not, I can always take more pictures 📸

Last edited:
If you are referring to the switches. I have the Auxbeam remote switchbox installed on the fuse box under the hood. Held on with industrial velcro.
I just have the control box sitting in the console - haven't mounted that yet. It's been out of the way and easily reached, so its not high on the list.
https://auxbeam.com/products/ar-800-multifunction-rgb-switch-panel-system-qp008526-1
View attachment 6923View attachment 6928

If you are referring to the wiring for the lights in bumper, it's all in wire loom that go to the switchbox above.

View attachment 6924

Ditch lights have a hole drilled in the plastic covers by the windshield, the brackets a little expensive and are made by SDHQ. But they don't bolt to the hood.
Link to discussion on ditch lights and brackets : https://www.trailboss.org/threads/ditch-light-brackets-for-2021-tb-opinions-and-pics.1872/
View attachment 6927
Let me know if I answered your question or not, I can always take more pictures 📸
That’s perfect thank you. Nice set up!

If you use the Diode Dynamics SAE fog cubes you can wire them into the stock fog light circuit, and the SAE driving lights can be wired in parallel with the high beams, and you will still pass inspection in most states. That's exactly what I did with my setup:

20230908_124922.jpg

Fogs are controlled with the factory fog light button and the driving lights come on with the highs. My intention is to add a 30in single row bar on top of the bumper under the hoop and a Diode Dynamics Crosslink bar on top of my sport bar, and those will be controlled using the upfitter switch kit that I still need to install (because most states won't allow light bars to be wired in parallel with factory lighting).

Note - I used the Sports because I can't possibly see how the Pros would pass inspection, they are far too bright...but perhaps most stations aren't that picky, I dunno. Doesn't matter to me because the Sports are more than bright enough for what I need.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that, thanks.
The fog lights are wired into factory fog light switch and I have the module installed that will kick them on with high beams as well.
The Driving lights are controlled by the panel as I want to control when they come on.

I went with the Pro's as it is my understanding that the sports won't get hot enough in winter to melt the ice/snow off of them.
They are also SAE compliant so there should be no issues with inspection. (Not sure they actually test the fog lights).

Googling I found:
"“Fog lamps would be considered optional equipment and their functionality would not be part of a safety inspection. As long as there is not an issue with any broken glass or sharp edges, fog lights would not be cause for failure."

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that, thanks.
The fog lights are wired into factory fog light switch and I have the module installed that will kick them on with high beams as well.
The Driving lights are controlled by the panel as I want to control when they come on.

I went with the Pro's as it is my understanding that the sports won't get hot enough in winter to melt the ice/snow off of them.
They are also SAE compliant so there should be no issues with inspection. (Not sure they actually test the fog lights).

Googling I found:
"“Fog lamps would be considered optional equipment and their functionality would not be part of a safety inspection. As long as there is not an issue with any broken glass or sharp edges, fog lights would not be cause for failure."

It's highly dependent on the inspector. I know my dealer cares because I was given a hard time when I put LED retro bulbs in the fogs in my Tahoe. That was a major PITA so i'm not taking chances any more. I'm sticking with street legal pods in the bumper and my bars will be covered when the truck goes for inspection. The DD pods have the SAE number printed right on the lens so I can easily point that out if I get any questions...I still worry though because man these fogs are BRIGHT.

Most Reactions

Back