What's new

4800 miles and probs.....esc, emergency brake check engine etc.

I had an '07 LTZ with AFM on the 5.3 and traded it in 2016 with 133k on it and not a single engine/powertrain issue! Had my '16 SLT with the 5.3 and traded it at 28k due to crappy 8-speed, but never an AFM issue. How is it that they have regressed in quality/durability??

Bad lifters, that sucks! I did an oil change at 500 miles, then 3000, then 6k, and 9k. Hoping to avoid a lifter failure im going to do the rest of my oil changes around 4500 miles each.
BTW its not just a GM thing, Dodge has the same problem. I would love to have the option to buy a non AFM/DFM truck but the EPA is the reason we have this bullshit.

Last edited:
Bad lifters, that sucks! I did an oil change at 500 miles, then 3000, then 6k, and 9k. Hoping to avoid a lifter failure im going to do the rest of my oil changes around 4500 miles each.
BTW its not just a GM thing, Dodge has the same problem. I would love to have the option to buy a non AFM/DFM truck but the EPA is the reason we have this bullshit.
YUP. First oil change for me at 900 miles next will be early around 3k & like you I am following a frequent change schedule. Thought about a Pulsar - still thinking, I have to believe not cycling them on off, while it may not PREVENT ultimate failure, it certainly should POSTPONE it.

I believe you can also put the truck in 9th gear and it will keep afm/dfm at bay. My daughter has the 6.2 in Florida and will tow the horse trailer back in a month or so.. we are at 6800 miles or so and so far so good. I hate that gm stuck us with this gremlin

2021 TB 6.2L Black Edition. Build date within the dreaded 3 month period. Bad lifter on pass side at 8000+ ....dealer replaced all lifters on that side. Three months later lost one lifter on driver side. All lifters replaced and dealer said would warrant to 100k on the engine.
17k miles on the truck now with no issues. Love the truck - closest thing to a hot rod I've had since my youth...

When is the “3 month timeframe”?
Was alluded to earlier in this thread and on other discussions this site and others.
Generally stated as October through January build dates. With that said...obviously this issue has occurred for years in one way or another. I just have not experienced or heard of this issue in the last 4 GM pickups I've owned.

Was alluded to earlier in this thread and on other discussions this site and others.
Generally stated as October through January build dates. With that said...obviously this issue has occurred for years in one way or another. I just have not experienced or heard of this issue in the last 4 GM pickups I've owned.
Oops...October '20 through January 21.

Just had a friend that has a 2021 Custom TB 5.3 and same thing happened to his TB at 9,000 miles. His has a build date of 9/21.
Man I feel like crap. Mine has a build date of 8/21.
My friend got his truck back. Not lifters. Spark plug wire chewed up by a rodent. Whew!!!!

My friend got his truck back. Not lifters. Spark plug wire chewed up by a rodent. Whew!!!!
That's a relief!! Still sorry to hear it happened. But gives hope that the original late 2020/early 2021 build issues are the only ones that should have early lifter failures. Thanks for update.

That would be great but unfortunately it’s not limited to those few months😬

That would be great but unfortunately it’s not limited to those few months😬
Yeah I get that, but it makes me feel somewhat better that the engine LIKELY won't need to get torn into in only a few thousand miles due to a KNOWN defect. Better odds it could go the distance. I am not trying to justify a crappy design - still upset it may not see the high mileage without a failure.

Most Reactions

Back