What's new

6.2 valve spring issue

2020 6.2L build date of 09/20. One of the last 2020's off the line for the year by doing a VIN check. Just passed 5400 miles with no issues (yet). Hoping this issues doesn't rear it's ugly head as this truck is my tow truck for long hauls across country.

Well mine was stamped 9/20… 6.2… reached 6,200 miles and guess what started happening yesterday into today… loud knocking and now misfiring like crazy. Made it to dealer and will update when they give me a solution. Service parking brake light came on before it started shaking…

I’ve heard this also affects the 5.3?
I have 6K on my 2021 🤞

I have heard and read that as well. ..Started with what the wife described as a loud clunk/ tick yesterday. Then today it started shaking and misfiring as well as service parking brake light and check engine light. Dealer stated it’s the lifter but will know more when they tear into it tomorrow or whenever they get a chance. I’ll keep y’all updated. Word of advise is as soon as it starts shaking get it to the shop if you safely can we are luckily within 2 miles of the local dealer. If not I would have had it towed.

There’s a few threads on GM forums regarding the valve spring/ lifter issue along with the fuse box issue all referencing the service parking break light. There were a few 5.3’s chiming in with that issue. I have read as early as 300 miles and before my truck as late as 4600-4800 miles I thought I was in the clear but BOOM 6200 and fail lol can’t do anything but laugh.

There is a TSB issued by chevy. Google chevy 6.2 liter valve spring issues. There's a bad batch of springs. Not a recall YET but should be. Not sure if you can search by vin. If posted in "trail boss not" post. Mine was in/out of shop at 600 miles blown cylinder 3. I was devastated. Repaired in 24 hours, replaced all valve springs. Guaranteed it with 100,000 mile warranty on motor (transferable). Not happy with the problem but they fixed it and backed it up. Turned 4000 miles today. I run it hard and its ...... well..... like it should have been new.
Full disclosure, I didn't give a true break in period for my 6.2, just had to feel that horsepower, which I NOW recommend. Good luck, love my TB.
How were you able to get the 100k warranty on the motor? Due to it being a rebuild? Or did you have to contact GM?

Picked up my truck today, they stated it was a lifter issue and replaced all the lifters. I know the power train is guaranteed for up to 60k miles but damn what a headache to worry about now.

I fought and argued with the dealer until they caved. "If you stand behind the repair put a warranty on it. Otherwise I'm going to GM for a buy back. Stood firm, refused to drive off the lot without resolution. My warranty is directly from the dealership. I did softly threaten legal action if a resolution wasn't reached.

Looks like I am one of the lucky ones. My 2020 TB 6.2 had number 6 lifter go out two weeks ago, 500 miles from home in Orlando, FL. Limped 10 miles to the nearest Chevrolet dealership and was blessed the fleet mechanic was standing by the service advisor. My truck has 12K on it so they replaced all the lifters on one side, if I would have had less than 8K they would have replaced all of them. So now I have a ticking time bomb on the other 4 cylinders, thanks Chevrolet. I have an appt with my local dealer in 3 weeks and will see if there is anything they can do about the other ones. They got me on the road in 24 hrs, so thankful for that.

The fleet mechanic told me that the original manufacturer of the lifters were just bad. He was replacing ones that had already been replaced, it was about all he did in 2020/2021. Chevrolet has a new supplier (not sure when that happened) but these new ones are holding up. Hopefully one day they will do a full recall on these. I was pretty lucky I have the 6.2 since they had those in stock. Lifters on the 5.3 were out of stock and had been backordered for quite a while.

Most Reactions

Back