What's new

6.2 valve spring issue

JonSnow

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone besides the "trail boss not" post is having any issues with there 6.2 engine? Mine falls into the date range 6/1/20 to 9/15/20 but at 900 miles I have not had any issues yet. After looking online I'm starting to feel is a matter of when,not if.

There is a TSB issued by chevy. Google chevy 6.2 liter valve spring issues. There's a bad batch of springs. Not a recall YET but should be. Not sure if you can search by vin. If posted in "trail boss not" post. Mine was in/out of shop at 600 miles blown cylinder 3. I was devastated. Repaired in 24 hours, replaced all valve springs. Guaranteed it with 100,000 mile warranty on motor (transferable). Not happy with the problem but they fixed it and backed it up. Turned 4000 miles today. I run it hard and its ...... well..... like it should have been new.
Full disclosure, I didn't give a true break in period for my 6.2, just had to feel that horsepower, which I NOW recommend. Good luck, love my TB.

I'm just wondering if anyone besides the "trail boss not" post is having any issues with there 6.2 engine? Mine falls into the date range 6/1/20 to 9/15/20 but at 900 miles I have not had any issues yet. After looking online I'm starting to feel is a matter of when,not if.
I too fall within those dates but have not had any issues. My trucks got 3k miles and runs perfect. Im thinking it may not affect every single truck?

I too fall within those dates but have not had any issues. My trucks got 3k miles and runs perfect. Im thinking it may not affect every single truck?
I'm sure it doesn't affect every truck. I went in and talked to the service manager about it. He said he has only had one come in with the spring problem. He also said GM told dealers that if it doesn't happen by 300 miles it's probably not going to happen. Not sure about that one. He also said that GM directed them to run all new V8 engines at 1800 RPM for 4.5 hours. If no failure happened they were good to go.
Every GM plant that builds trucks can produce 65 trucks per hour so that's a lot of trucks. It's not just affecting trucks it's also Corvettes Camaros Cadillacs anything with 6.2 or even the 5.3 engine.

There is a TSB issued by chevy. Google chevy 6.2 liter valve spring issues. There's a bad batch of springs. Not a recall YET but should be. Not sure if you can search by vin. If posted in "trail boss not" post. Mine was in/out of shop at 600 miles blown cylinder 3. I was devastated. Repaired in 24 hours, replaced all valve springs. Guaranteed it with 100,000 mile warranty on motor (transferable). Not happy with the problem but they fixed it and backed it up. Turned 4000 miles today. I run it hard and its ...... well..... like it should have been new.
Full disclosure, I didn't give a true break in period for my 6.2, just had to feel that horsepower, which I NOW recommend. Good luck, love my TB.
Thanks, yeah I have done a lot of research on it. I have 1000 miles on mine and no problems
I've put mine through the paces also with no issue. Hopefully it stays that way. Glad they did the right thing with yours and is the way it should be now.?

I'm sure it doesn't affect every truck. I went in and talked to the service manager about it. He said he has only had one come in with the spring problem. He also said GM told dealers that if it doesn't happen by 300 miles it's probably not going to happen. Not sure about that one. He also said that GM directed them to run all new V8 engines at 1800 RPM for 4.5 hours. If no failure happened they were good to go.
Every GM plant that builds trucks can produce 65 trucks per hour so that's a lot of trucks. It's not just affecting trucks it's also Corvettes Camaros Cadillacs anything with 6.2 or even the 5.3 engine.
Thanks for the info....fingers crossed but at 3k miles hopefully I'm good. Pretty sad that at 60 grand we have to deal with this but it happens to all auto manufacturers.

Thats semi true. There is a recall to run certain vehicles with the 6.2L at around 2k RPM for that time frame but its not ALL new V8 engines.

My valve spring on my 2020 LT 6.2 broke at around 300 miles and they only replaced one valve spring.

I really hope nothing happens to you...or conversely... if it has to... it does happen soon so they can repair the top end and get you back to feeling good.
This is my second truck with the 6.2 and it is such a great motor that it sucks whenever there is a run in which a bad part causes stress for so many.

My valve spring on my 2020 LT 6.2 broke at around 300 miles and they only replaced one valve spring.

I'm not sure why they only change one spring when this happens. It ones bad there's a good chance some of the others are bad. I understand their thought, they're trying to save money. But if they have to do it again it's going to cost them more money.

This happened to me. 3rd time driving my 2021 5.3 Trailboss. Broke down 6th cylinder was all they replaced. I am glad I have 100,000 mile warranty through Geico. Honestly, I was always a toyota owner and loved my tacoma. I had some initial regrets. Bought December 4th so far after service no problems. Crazy how accurate you guys are it broke down at 278 miles. Currently have 561 miles. I wasn't sure if it was me because I put it into 4WD just playing around but I sort of feel better now hearing other people have the same thing.

I agree with the above post though, wouldn't more cylinders be busted not just the 6th? Or do cylinders come from different places?

This happened to me. 3rd time driving my 2021 5.3 Trailboss. Broke down 6th cylinder was all they replaced. I am glad I have 100,000 mile warranty through Geico. Honestly, I was always a toyota owner and loved my tacoma. I had some initial regrets. Bought December 4th so far after service no problems. Crazy how accurate you guys are it broke down at 278 miles. Currently have 561 miles. I wasn't sure if it was me because I put it into 4WD just playing around but I sort of feel better now hearing other people have the same thing.

I agree with the above post though, wouldn't more cylinders be busted not just the 6th? Or do cylinders come from different places?
It's not the cylinder itself that breaks, it's the valve spring. They are all installed at the same point in time. If one is bad it's very possible that others in the same engine are bad also. That's why I think all of the springs should be replaced when you have an issue with one. Some dealers are doing that and some are not.

My date stamped 10/20 phew, sorry for those of you dealing with this. Make sure to ask to have all springs fixed, should be protocol, not just one or two.

This has been bothering me. Read the link below...GM instructs dealers to replace all valve springs if one is bad. You may have to March up to the district manager if a specific dealer is trying to half ass it...but that has worked for me with Ford in the past.

I am at 1400 miles with no issues

Most Reactions

Back