What's new

6.2 vs 5.3?

Gypsyjon

Reaction score
Just joined this forum and looking for some real world advice. I will be buying a Trailboss within the next week and was looking for some advice. My local dealer has several 6.2L but no 5.3L. Is it true that the 6.2 requires premium fuel? If so what happens when you just run regular non priming fuel?
Thanks for any insight you might have.

Reactions: MJ$
Just purchased a 2020 6.2L V8. First, I test drove two 5.3L V8's over a 6 month period trying to figure out if I wanted to get a trail boss or a GMC.. I was told by a couple of friends to get the 6.2L.. I did it without driving one.. WOW, what a difference. I have put regular, mid-grade, and premium in the truck.. While it doesn't "knock" technically on regular gas, it does seem to run rougher, a bit more of a clicking noise . I seem to get better gas mileage out of mid-grade, and premium, and the truck is extremely responsive with mid to premium gas.. Just my opinion, maybe its just me. Then again, unless I am trying to pass a slow driver I don't really punch it off the line from stops, and I drive pretty casually most of the time. I will try and post some actual mileage numbers once I drive it a little more. Just have over 700miles on it at this point. Probably going to stick with mid-grade most of the time. Unless others on here have some knowledge that I am unaware of that would change my mind to premium?? Im all ears.

Just purchased a 2020 6.2L V8. First, I test drove two 5.3L V8's over a 6 month period trying to figure out if I wanted to get a trail boss or a GMC.. I was told by a couple of friends to get the 6.2L.. I did it without driving one.. WOW, what a difference. I have put regular, mid-grade, and premium in the truck.. While it doesn't "knock" technically on regular gas, it does seem to run rougher, a bit more of a clicking noise . I seem to get better gas mileage out of mid-grade, and premium, and the truck is extremely responsive with mid to premium gas.. Just my opinion, maybe its just me. Then again, unless I am trying to pass a slow driver I don't really punch it off the line from stops, and I drive pretty casually most of the time. I will try and post some actual mileage numbers once I drive it a little more. Just have over 700miles on it at this point. Probably going to stick with mid-grade most of the time. Unless others on here have some knowledge that I am unaware of that would change my mind to premium?? Im all ears.
Just put premium in it man. Damn truck almost cost 60 grand and your worried about putting premium in it?! I've owned several 5.3 and was very under impressed. 6.2 is completely different and was a requirement for me but to each his own.

Nope!! Not "worried" about the price of the truck or putting premium in it. In fact, I will have it paid off within the next year, and I just purchased it. Truth is, I have seen other vehicles that "RECOMMEND" premium gasoline BUT not "REQUIRE" it. I've never paid full price for anything in my life, and I'm not going to start now.. Living that way has served me well.. Maybe that's why Im not concerned about purchasing a $60,000.. Its about managing your money.. Hell, here in the state of Ohio we have a program where we can shop for and negotiate for our gas and electric rates, and lock them in for a number of months.. I've saved thousands over the years on energy costs. Maybe that's why I can afford the 6.2L:cool::)

Nope!! Not "worried" about the price of the truck or putting premium in it. In fact, I will have it paid off within the next year, and I just purchased it. Truth is, I have seen other vehicles that "RECOMMEND" premium gasoline BUT not "REQUIRE" it. I've never paid full price for anything in my life, and I'm not going to start now.. Living that way has served me well.. Maybe that's why Im not concerned about purchasing a $60,000.. Its about managing your money.. Hell, here in the state of Ohio we have a program where we can shop for and negotiate for our gas and electric rates, and lock them in for a number of months.. I've saved thousands over the years on energy costs. Maybe that's why I can afford the 6.2L:cool::)
Defensive much?!! All good bro, thanks for the life lesson hot shot?

Defensive much?!! All good bro, thanks for the life lesson hot shot?
Well, when I ask a sincere question, and I get your response of "Damn Truck costs almost $60 grand and your (by the way, its "YOU'RE") worried about putting premium in it?!!" <,Yeah skippy , that's going to get you some push back from me.. Your tone was condescending to say the least. Your accusation was that I couldn't afford the gas and I couldn't afford the truck.. I'm an airline pilot, I think I can afford the gas.."BRO":rolleyes:

I honestly like the power of 6.2 over the 5.3 I had in my last truck, the gas mileage is about 16mpg with regular, it was only 14.1 in my 2011 crewcab with a 5.3. I have yet to use premium, I don't haul a lot of weight and there is no knocking or pinging. The cost of premium outweighs the benefit. I had a turbocharged car that required premium and my sister put regular in it, the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, the car ran horrible. This is not what you get when you use regular in these trucks, the premium recommendation allows for a higher tow rating. While a compression ratio of 10.5:1 is higher than some turbocharged cars that do require premium, it's not so high that these engines can't advance or retard the timing to compensate for engine knock. Hope this helps those that are still on the fence.

Last edited:
Well, when I ask a sincere question, and I get your response of "Damn Truck costs almost $60 grand and your (by the way, its "YOU'RE") worried about putting premium in it?!!" <,Yeah skippy , that's going to get you some push back from me.. Your tone was condescending to say the least. Your accusation was that I couldn't afford the gas and I couldn't afford the truck.. I'm an airline pilot, I think I can afford the gas.."BRO":rolleyes:
Feel like I'm talkin to a woman haha, did we just get in a fight? Alright skipper you're (you are) a pilot, I'm extremely impressed and I'm sure the rest of the trailboss nation is as well. To beat the dead horse more- I meant if your a hot shot to buy a $60k truck then don't trip (freak out) about putting premium in it. Let me know if you'd (you would) like me to list my occupation to further prove myself as a tool like you did, I'd be happy to.

Feel like I'm talkin to a woman haha, did we just get in a fight? Alright skipper you're (you are) a pilot, I'm extremely impressed and I'm sure the rest of the trailboss nation is as well. To beat the dead horse more- I meant if your a hot shot to buy a $60k truck then don't trip (freak out) about putting premium in it. Let me know if you'd (you would) like me to list my occupation to further prove myself as a tool like you did, I'd be happy to.
?? Face it.. I called you out on your attitude, and the whole “trailboss nation” watched me kick you back in your lane.. Then, you got all insecure because I stated my occupation to show that I could afford it.. I get it, it made you feel insignificant, and like you’re wasting your life.. Is your name Napolean? Because you sure as sh!t have a small man complex.. No worries, I just ordered you a step stool off of amazon, so you can climb up in your truck??? From here forward I shall refer to you as the “TrailBoss Troll” ?? better known as #smallman??

?? Face it.. I called you out on your attitude, and the whole “trailboss nation” watched me kick you back in your lane.. Then, you got all insecure because I stated my occupation to show that I could afford it.. I get it, it made you feel insignificant, and like you’re wasting your life.. Is your name Napolean? Because you sure as sh!t have a small man complex.. No worries, I just ordered you a step stool off of amazon, so you can climb up in your truck??? From here forward I shall refer to you as the “TrailBoss Troll” ?? better known as #smallman??
Really spoke yourself up on that one...im impressed with your thought and care when communicating with me, it means alot. I dont need to make fun of you to make myself feel important but nice try bud. Im here for the trucks. Not your candy ass, so I'll see you on the otherside captain of the skys. I got some 91 octane to buy

Really spoke yourself up on that one...im impressed with your thought and care when communicating with me, it means alot. I dont need to make fun of you to make myself feel important but nice try bud. Im here for the trucks. Not your candy ass, so I'll see you on the otherside captain of the skys. I got some 91 octane to buy

:ROFLMAO: :sneaky: TrailBoss Troll (aka small man), I'm really starting to feel sorry for you. If you're trying to troll someone, at least try and use proper grammar; instead of coming off as a mental midget. I left the forum up on my laptop, and my 6th grade son read your posts; he started laughing. He said, "Are you sure it's not some kid that got on an adult forum about trucks? Heck, I'm only 11 and I know that "ALOT" is not a word.":D ..... Go ahead and google that..... I'll wait.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: :sneaky: TrailBoss Troll (aka small man), I'm really starting to feel sorry for you. If you're trying to troll someone, at least try and use proper grammar; instead of coming off as a mental midget. I left the forum up on my laptop, and my 6th grade son read your posts; he started laughing. He said, "Are you sure it's not some kid that got on an adult forum about trucks? Heck, I'm only 11 and I know that "ALOT" is not a word.":D ..... Go ahead and google that..... I'll wait.:LOL::ROFLMAO:
All you got is grammar class huh haha. True sign that you got nothing more to say. Good one. Inspiring that you actually found a hog to reproduce with.

All you got is grammar class huh haha. True sign that you got nothing more to say. Good one. Inspiring that you actually found a hog to reproduce with.
Again, I just can't take you serious if you can't speak in full sentences. It's like getting verbally punched by a two year old; a mental midget. Hell, my 11 yr old can't even take you seriously..I really am finding this laughable. Every time you post you look more and more ignorant to everyone who reads it. When you start insulting my family members I know I have won this pissing contest. I can just see you getting more and more angry:mad:, and it's hilarious.:ROFLMAO: All because you acted like some condescending jerk in response to my original post. If you read everyone else's posts, they are all helping each other out; not making some sh!tty comments like you have. Its really unfortunate, but I expect nothing less from such a small man. This forum, and others like it, is probably all you've got. I'm going to click the ignore button on YOU now, and go back to enjoying others on here who are helpful, and enjoy their trucks. This is suppose to be fun, not a pissing match with some loser who is insecure, and wants to fight. I apologize to everyone else who has had to endure our back and forth, but not to you TrailBoss Troll; you're a douche.

Again, I just can't take you serious if you can't speak in full sentences. It's like getting verbally punched by a two year old; a mental midget. Hell, my 11 yr old can't even take you seriously..I really am finding this laughable. Every time you post you look more and more ignorant to everyone who reads it. When you start insulting my family members I know I have won this pissing contest. I can just see you getting more and more angry:mad:, and it's hilarious.:ROFLMAO: All because you acted like some condescending jerk in response to my original post. If you read everyone else's posts, they are all helping each other out; not making some sh!tty comments like you have. Its really unfortunate, but I expect nothing less from such a small man. This forum, and others like it, is probably all you've got. I'm going to click the ignore button on YOU now, and go back to enjoying others on here who are helpful, and enjoy their trucks. This is suppose to be fun, not a pissing match with some loser who is insecure, and wants to fight. I apologize to everyone else who has had to endure our back and forth, but not to you TrailBoss Troll; you're a douche.
I stopped reading about a sentence in due to the rambling bs your spitting out. Can you please just stop now? You're (you are a dipshit) highly annoying at this point. Im not mad at all, the word is annoyed. Enjoy your Sunday Birt

Most Reactions

Back