What's new

AFM Question

ShayStarnes1969

Reaction score
Still kinda new to the Trail Boss and how everything works. Mine is a 2021 LT 5.3. My question is which screen on the DIC will tell me when the AFM is active if I have it? I bought the truck used so I do not have the original sticker to see if my truck is equipped with AFM

Actually I think I answered my question myself with more research. It appears that there is no indicator light.

I have a 2021 LT 5.3 with a 10 speed trany. It appears that the pulsar will not work on my truck. Has anyone tried the Range Technology device that you plus into your OBD-II Port? Does it work?

Ever since the switch from AFM to DFM there appears to be no way of knowing how many cylinders are active.
I keep hearing that some people have AFM on the 2019+ models but I've never seen proof that they actually have AFM and not DFM. Some people did not get the chip for DFM, but I was under the impression that none of the Trail Boss models Custom or LT have AFM.
If you have the 10 speed transmission I believe the OBD port Range models do not work properly, 10 speed tranny means you'd need the Pulsar LT or a full tuner setup. Not sure why the Pulsar wouldn't work on your truck.

Not sure which website you're on, but I see that Edge Products part number #22451 Pulsar LT will work with 2021 Silverado 5.3L and 6.2L.

Screenshot_20230307_142012_Chrome.jpg

I see what you mean, that is odd.
I think their website is broken. Plenty of 2021 owners running the Pulsar.
Anyone else want to chime in and confirm that the Pulsar will work on his truck?

Ever since the switch from AFM to DFM there appears to be no way of knowing how many cylinders are active.
I keep hearing that some people have AFM on the 2019+ models but I've never seen proof that they actually have AFM and not DFM. Some people did not get the chip for DFM, but I was under the impression that none of the Trail Boss models Custom or LT have AFM.
If you have the 10 speed transmission I believe the OBD port Range models do not work properly, 10 speed tranny means you'd need the Pulsar LT or a full tuner setup. Not sure why the Pulsar wouldn't work on your truck.
From my understanding, the 5.3's with the six-speed transmissions still had AFM. My 2019 Custom Trail Boss definitely had AFM. But I think the 5.3 with the 10-speed, and all 6.2's, have DFM.

2021 5.3 10 speed- Pulsar LT 22451 installed and love it. Works great.

Maybe I’ll roll the dice. Big question is, will it void the warranty?
As long as you return the truck to factory settings and remove the device prior to bringing the truck to your dealership, the dealership will never know about it ever being there. Either way, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a manufacturer must prove that an issue at hand is a direct result of an aftermarket modification in order to deny warranty coverage.

2021 5.3 10 speed- Pulsar LT 22451 installed and love it. Works great.
Ditto! same here. Love it. just using it to disable the DFM and the auto stop/start. also have 2021 5.3 10 speed. lifters failed before 10K miles on one side so I bought the Pulsar just after it was fixed.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back