What's new

Aftermarket Exhaust for 6.2L

Which Borla Exhaust would you get?

• Total voters
I just installed the S-type yesterday. Not very mechanically inclined but only took me about 2 hours and I didn’t use a lift or jacks. Sounds is awesome, I don’t personally think I would go much louder. It’s pretty loud on cold start and mellows down while driving.

Attachments

• IMG_5708.MOV
    10 MB
I just installed the S-type yesterday. Not very mechanically inclined but only took me about 2 hours and I didn’t use a lift or jacks. Sounds is awesome, I don’t personally think I would go much louder. It’s pretty loud on cold start and mellows down while driving.
That sounds AWESOME. Thanks for sending. S-Type has been ordered.

I run the MBRP Stainless Cat Back, probably the best sounding exhaust I have heard throaty and no drone and you retain the factory exhaust bezels at the bumper.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I went with the S-Type and have it installed. It sounds amazing, I can hear it slightly when driving down the highway at speed or putting around town. And wow, what a sound when you get on it..
The only thing I didn't take into consideration (until after I ordered it), was how loud it is on a cold start - I personally like it, hope my neighbors like it too.

In short, I probably should have gone with the touring, but in the end, loving the S-type.

For other out there that may be worrying about disturbing your neighbors, on a cold start the S-Type is loud and will let them know you started your truck.

Please note, this is on the 6.2L - Not sure if it would be the same on the 5.3.

I put a Hooker Axle-back exhaust in my '07 Corvette, cuz stock it sounded like a honda. The Fit of the Hooker exhaust was not very good, but I did manage to install everything myself. I REALLY like the difference in sound. This is the least expensive exhaust upgrade I could find.

The same might be said about the Hooker Cat-back exhaust for our Silverado 1500 trucks (perhaps least expensive):

This is a very affordable upgrade. However ... the indication is that this is a VERY Loud and Aggressive sounding exhaust.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I went with the S-Type and have it installed. It sounds amazing, I can hear it slightly when driving down the highway at speed or putting around town. And wow, what a sound when you get on it..
The only thing I didn't take into consideration (until after I ordered it), was how loud it is on a cold start - I personally like it, hope my neighbors like it too.

In short, I probably should have gone with the touring, but in the end, loving the S-type.

For other out there that may be worrying about disturbing your neighbors, on a cold start the S-Type is loud and will let them know you started your truck.

Please note, this is on the 6.2L - Not sure if it would be the same on the 5.3.
Did you end up doing it yourself?

Yes, I did it myself. the hardest part was removing the factory tips (Borla 140774BC comes with the black chrome tips.
I watched a few youtube video's and took some notes from them.
  • Drove up on ramps for added room (rear tires)
  • Cut pipe before and after muffler for ease of removal (due to lack of room - aka not on a lift)
For the exhaust tips, took about 1/2 hour, used ratcheting wrench and got 2-3 clicks per turn (Did not remove bumper step)
Adjustment to make tips even took a little time to make even on left/right.

Best advice I can give..... Take your time, don't rush and don't get overwhelmed. (Took about 2 hours doing it without help).

When I get a moment, I'll take a picture and post.

Removing the bumper steps isn’t too bad…and makes it much much much easier.
Thanks for chiming in. Hopefully this will help someone who will be removing the exhaust tips.

I was already under the truck working and got a little lazy - didn't feel like going to lookup how to remove :oops:

Sorry for delay in uploading. Video is cold start to warm up idle (51 seconds long) so you can hear what it calms down to.

It was around 70 degrees out.

Cold start is very loud, louder than I wanted, but it is on there and my neighbors don't mind it, so I'm good.
If I had to do over, I'd go with the Touring.

Scratch that.. after having it on for over a year.. I’d stick with the S Type…

Last edited:
Felt great underneath my 6.2 with a saw all. I put a Borla Attak in and it sounded boss. Just $$ an AWE 0FG Dual Exhaust System with Quad Diamond Black Tips. Going all out this time. I pulled The engine and did the AMF delete. Couldn’t help myself and ordered a stage 2 cam and a Piston and Rod set. Looking at 850 at the wheels. Just need my 6 inch lift and coopers. Then I’m broke.

Attachments

• 7CF15F5C-40FA-4896-8B6B-0511AF564C89.jpeg
    7CF15F5C-40FA-4896-8B6B-0511AF564C89.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 46

Most Reactions

Back