What's new

Aftermarket Exhaust with AFM

mhjones12

Reaction score
I’ve read a lot about aftermarket exhausts enhancing the helicopter-like sound when the engine enters V4 mode. The recommendation is to use one of those devices that plug into the OBD-II port disable AFM. That is not an option for me because I use that port for a device that tracks my driving for a pay-per-mile insurance (it’s a low mileage 2nd vehicle).

If I upgrade to aftermarket exhaust and keep the AFM, how bad will it be? I’ve never noticed the sound with the stock exhaust. The couple videos I’ve seen it doesn’t sound too bad, but I know things sound different in real life vs videos. Thanks!

my 23, has a muffler delete pipe. i dont notice the sound from cyl drop. i notice the drone more so at interstate speeds while using the phone.

Its not bad but I did get a module to elimante the sound. As stated the drone is the biggest hinderence at about 70 mph. I did the muffler delete since I have 2 resonators forward of the exhaust tips. Sound perfect except the drone. That being said I may switch to a Borla Attack which I understand sounds much like the muffler delete minus the drone. Also interested in Boral's harmonizing pipe.

I’ve read a lot about aftermarket exhausts enhancing the helicopter-like sound when the engine enters V4 mode. The recommendation is to use one of those devices that plug into the OBD-II port disable AFM. That is not an option for me because I use that port for a device that tracks my driving for a pay-per-mile insurance (it’s a low mileage 2nd vehicle).

If I upgrade to aftermarket exhaust and keep the AFM, how bad will it be? I’ve never noticed the sound with the stock exhaust. The couple videos I’ve seen it doesn’t sound too bad, but I know things sound different in real life vs videos. Thanks!
I have the full Borla "S" type cat back exhaust system on my 5.3 and have no issues with resonating. I cant speak for other brands but this is my second Borla exhaust system and both have performed very well with just a nice throaty sound.

I have the full Borla "S" type cat back exhaust system on my 5.3 and have no issues with resonating. I cant speak for other brands but this is my second Borla exhaust system and both have performed very well with just a nice throaty sound.
Great to hear! I am installing a Borla S-Type cat back exhaust.

So I installed the Borla S-Type cat back and it sounds amazing. No drone. No bad sound in V4 mode that I can detect.

Attachments

• IMG_0829.mov
    9.4 MB
i have a 6.2, my Borla S type TRUE DUALS should be arriving Wed. hopeful that it refines the exhaust tone to my liking. been going back and forth between, Borla, Corsa and AWE. the Borla S seem to land right where i wanted. Nice deep tone, not cackle or raspy notes. wasnt looking for LOUD< just a nice clean exhaust note.

the delete pipe was a nice start to hear when driving , to le t me know about what RPPM to look into with each system

After several attempts of looking for the right exhaust note for daily driving my 6.2 I finally settled with a 22inch single in and single out magnaflo drop in muffler #12589. I started with a Flowmaster super 44 & deleted the flapper and resonators. That combo was too much drone in the cab. Added in an inline flow master resonator pre muffler and that helped some but the DFM was still annoying. Today I replaced the flow master stuff with magnaflo and it’s just right for me. Just a few decibels louder than stock at idle and a nice deep tone when I get on it. For those looking for a true attention getting exhaust, this may not be for you. Hope that helps someone.

i unboxed the Borla True Duals, only to find one of the tips to be manufactured incorrectly, i went with the square quad tip. one side had the chrome tip itself rotated, and slightly pointed up.

1 quick call to Borla, requesting i send a pic and invoice...i received a return email with about an hour...stating, a new tip was in route and would a box and return label for the bad part.

i still plan to install this weekend, just not running the tip extension until they arrive.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back