What's new

Anyone else? (ticking and shaking)

TheShadow

Reaction score
2020 Chevy Trail Boss with the 5.2
So, last night, the truck started ticking and shaking a bit, then the service ESC came on, then parking brake light. Parked it for the night, got up for work and left the house at 3 a.m, didn’t even get off our street and check engine light and transmission light came on along with the ESC and parking brake light again, only this time, it was ticking, shaking, and making worse noises. Turned around and parked it back in the driveway and waited for the local Chevy dealer service dept to open and drove it roughly 3 miles tops to the dealership to drop it off. Truck has only 20k miles. Anyone else had this problem or know if it’s a known issue?
Thanks!
0B209F65-F822-4368-8B00-804B6DD56F7D.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E1A5672-97FD-4D18-A13B-63C65856C699.png
    0E1A5672-97FD-4D18-A13B-63C65856C699.png
    270 KB · Views: 54
2020 Chevy Trail Boss with the 5.2
So, last night, the truck started ticking and shaking a bit, then the service ESC came on, then parking brake light. Parked it for the night, got up for work and left the house at 3 a.m, didn’t even get off our street and check engine light and transmission light came on along with the ESC and parking brake light again, only this time, it was ticking, shaking, and making worse noises. Turned around and parked it back in the driveway and waited for the local Chevy dealer service dept to open and drove it roughly 3 miles tops to the dealership to drop it off. Truck has only 20k miles. Anyone else had this problem or know if it’s a known issue?
Thanks!View attachment 3421
The ticking sounds an awful lot like a collapsed lifter issue. It's a popular problem with these new engines, unfortunately. It happened to mine, but I did not get those lights or anything else. Just the ticking and vibrating but it was definitely bad lifters. Should be covered under warranty either way, at least.

Keep us updated, my 2020 TB has 48,000 miles and still running good.. Crossing my fingers I got a decent one… Definitely sounds like you have a collapsed lifter..

The ticking sounds an awful lot like a collapsed lifter issue. It's a popular problem with these new engines, unfortunately. It happened to mine, but I did not get those lights or anything else. Just the ticking and vibrating but it was definitely bad lifters. Should be covered under warranty either way, at least.
You are correct, just got the call from the service department that the lifters collapsed and bent the push rod too.

You are correct, just got the call from the service department that the lifters collapsed and bent the push rod too.
Sorry to hear that. The biggest delay on my repair was waiting on the dealership to get their hands on some new lifters, since they are in high demand. Insist on a rental car! What else sucks is that with your mileage, they won't replace both sides. They will strictly do the entire side of the engine that has the bad lifter. It doesn't make sense to me that they don't replace both sides while they have the intake manifold off, and knowing it is an issue.

If you can, purchase the Pulsar LT or a tuner that allows you to keep your engine in permanent V8 mode, that is supposed to help decrease your odds of future failures. I have only seen about a 1.5 MPG decrease since I have done that to mine. Worth no more issues!

Sorry to hear that. The biggest delay on my repair was waiting on the dealership to get their hands on some new lifters, since they are in high demand. Insist on a rental car! What else sucks is that with your mileage, they won't replace both sides. They will strictly do the entire side of the engine that has the bad lifter. It doesn't make sense to me that they don't replace both sides while they have the intake manifold off, and knowing it is an issue.

If you can, purchase the Pulsar LT or a tuner that allows you to keep your engine in permanent V8 mode, that is supposed to help decrease your odds of future failures. I have only seen about a 1.5 MPG decrease since I have done that to mine. Worth no more issues!
Once again, you are correct! I asked if they were gonna do both sides and they said no, that GM only allows them to replace the side that failed, and I said that is just stupid, why not just replace all 4 at the same time since you’re already there, makes no sense to not to, just to leave it to chance that the other side wouldn’t fail! Smh!
I definitely plan to get that pulsar lt tuner here in the coming days for sure.
Thank you!

Does anyone know what happens if the vehicle has this same issues after the 3 year 36K warranty? Makes me nervous that my truck has around 48,000 miles on it and could possibly fail.. Definitely something I would not want to pay out of pocket to fix.. Maybe it’s time for me to start looking at the new ZR2 if that the case.. Best of luck, and definitely demand GM gives you a rental vehicle..

Does anyone know what happens if the vehicle has this same issues after the 3 year 36K warranty? Makes me nervous that my truck has around 48,000 miles on it and could possibly fail.. Definitely something I would not want to pay out of pocket to fix.. Maybe it’s time for me to start looking at the new ZR2 if that the case.. Best of luck, and definitely demand GM gives you a rental vehicle..
The 3 year 36,000 is the bumper to bumper warranty. The powertrain warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles and should cover lifter issues.

2020 TB w/ 5.3…I had same issue at 17000 miles. I raised hell until they agreed to replace both sides. I had to wait a while for the parts, but was pleased that they replaced both sides. I would think by now, with as widespread as the issue has been, it would be standard for GM to just replace both banks when a lifter fails.

2020 TB w/ 5.3…I had same issue at 17000 miles. I raised hell until they agreed to replace both sides. I had to wait a while for the parts, but was pleased that they replaced both sides. I would think by now, with as widespread as the issue has been, it would be standard for GM to just replace both banks when a lifter fails.
Exactly!

It’s actually very poorly designed when you research how they build these motors.. To drop down cylinders being used via the ECU!!!All to keep Uncle Sam and the smog people happy!!!!

I have 2021 TB Custom and mine has the 5.3 without the DFM / AFM function. Is this problem with the lifters not going to be an issue like the ones with those functions?

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back