What's new

Anyone smoke their taillights?

Reaction score
I am looking into smoking my taillights but I do not know what is the best way to go without breaking the bank with Recons. Also, if anyone has smoked the OEM taillights, what is a good percentage to tint so the lights can still be seen...I do not want to create a road hazard.

Check over at the Silverado/Sierra forum. Same tail lights.
A lot more members so tends to be more general info not specific to the TB.
Good luck👍

I tried tinting my oem taillights without much luck, got too frustrated and just went with the Recon and sold the oem ones on eBay..

How about spraying them with VHT nightshades? Used this several times and works great - have a can left over from the Jeep- thought about doing it to mine.

1676396328536.png

I used VHT Night Shades and it turned out great. I put about 3 coats on and it was perfect. In some light it appeared black and in direct light it appeared smoked red. The LED lights had no problem displaying brightly. I masked off the reverse lights on mine.

I bought an aftermarket set of tail lights and have been trying to wrap them with Vivid film but it's my first attempt at wrapping and there's a lot of complex curves in the taillights so I kind of gave up. I have some spray tint but when I used VHT 25+ years ago and it came out flat and not glossy. I did some Camaro tail lights and used automotive clear with a bit of black mixed in. Sprayed a couple coats on it and they looked great.

I used VHT Night Shades and it turned out great. I put about 3 coats on and it was perfect. In some light it appeared black and in direct light it appeared smoked red. The LED lights had no problem displaying brightly. I masked off the reverse lights on mine.
Pictures please!

I bought an aftermarket set of tail lights and have been trying to wrap them with Vivid film but it's my first attempt at wrapping and there's a lot of complex curves in the taillights so I kind of gave up. I have some spray tint but when I used VHT 25+ years ago and it came out flat and not glossy. I did some Camaro tail lights and used automotive clear with a bit of black mixed in. Sprayed a couple coats on it and they looked great.
I sprayed clear on mine after nightshade dried.

I’m very impressed with how they look with the nightshades!! Guess I should have tried that instead of wrapping mine.. Still very happy with my Recon lights, plus I sold the oem for $350 on eBay.. Should have kept them… Great job guys, maybe I will try that nightshades on my 3rd brake light 😎

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at these too, but saw some reviews that they can or will come off. Still on the fence about it.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back