What's new

Aspiring Trail Boss Newbie....

ShesBossy

Reaction score
New to the forum world but my hubby loves his Toyota one...

I would appreciate y'alls advice. I am wanting to buy a new 2022 Trail Boss 5.3L 4WD short box in glacier blue. I am not sure if I need the 6.2, and I know it runs on premium fuel. I will be moving to Virginia soon and this will be my first 4WD truck.

I will also need to pull a bass boat/ATV trailer. We go camping regularly so I want to be able to do light offroading. It would be nice to compromise with "decent-er" gas mileage for work commuting but hubby says that's more a matter of driving habits (I have a heavy foot) and "unsprung weight+tread."

This will be my "mom" vehicle because I am not the minivan type, which he is grateful for. I have owned Chevy trucks in the past but it's been a while, and never a brand new one. The only feature I require is a sunroof.

Reading the forums, I see many have problems with the lifters and recommend the pulse tuner and severe-use maintenance schedule. Any other recommendations for a first-time Trail Boss owner?

My 2021 5.3 has been great. Also had the 5.3 in my 2008 Suburban and had 0 problems in 200,000 miles before I sold it. A small percentage of owners have had valve/lifter problems. Only GM knows the exact numbers of warranty repairs😬
I’ve heard great things about the Duramax Diesel and wish it was available in the 2021 TB.

I didn't know that a sunroof is even an option, but apparently it may be. A sunroof has certainly been an option on other, previous Silverado models, as a quick search has revealed. My 2021 is such a great truck. It would be unfortunate if not having a sunroof means you will not enjoy all of the other good things about these trucks.

It is very true that Driver Technique is important for fuel economy. I am able to get 20+ MPG because I drive very carefully ... at least in my TB.
But then, I have a Corvette for "Spirited Driving."

New to the forum world but my hubby loves his Toyota one...

I would appreciate y'alls advice. I am wanting to buy a new 2022 Trail Boss 5.3L 4WD short box in glacier blue. I am not sure if I need the 6.2, and I know it runs on premium fuel. I will be moving to Virginia soon and this will be my first 4WD truck.

I will also need to pull a bass boat/ATV trailer. We go camping regularly so I want to be able to do light offroading. It would be nice to compromise with "decent-er" gas mileage for work commuting but hubby says that's more a matter of driving habits (I have a heavy foot) and "unsprung weight+tread."

This will be my "mom" vehicle because I am not the minivan type, which he is grateful for. I have owned Chevy trucks in the past but it's been a while, and never a brand new one. The only feature I require is a sunroof.

Reading the forums, I see many have problems with the lifters and recommend the pulse tuner and severe-use maintenance schedule. Any other recommendations for a first-time Trail Boss owner?
Regarding towing, my family of 5 just got home from a 4,000+ mile road trip towing a 6,000ish pound RV. We crossed the Rockies coming and going, drove through the winding canyons around Hoover Dam, drove the 101 through NorCal and Oregon so we had plenty of terrain changes and ups/downs to navigate.

The 5.3L did not disappoint at any time. I had no problem accelerating up mountain passes or getting moving when I needed a quick pick up in speed. The 5.3L combined with the 10 speed is really capable and after this "refiner's fire" I fully trust my truck to tackle whatever I throw at it.

I love the idea of having the 6.2L in my truck but the 5.3L isn't holding me back in any way.

I'll be the one to say it and risk the flame war...

I have the non-H.O. 2.7 turbo (310 hp and 348 ft lbs) in my '22 LTD Custom TB. It has not left me wanting in any way, though I haven't towed anything with it. However, for moving people, hauling branches after a big storm, making the Home Depot trip, or hauling trash and recycables, it's been fantastic. If you get the newest 2.7, the H.O. version (310 hp and 430 ft. lbs), it'll actually put out MORE torque than the 5.3 does, (355 hp and 383 ft. lbs.) and is within 30 ft. lbs. of what the 6.2 does (420 hp and 460 ft. lbs).

Having said that - will it do everything a 6.2 will? No. Towing capacity is higher on the 6.2 than it is on the 2.7 (duh). But fuel mileage is better with the 2.7, and it makes nearly as much torque as the 6.2. I know truck guys like V8s - and for good reason! - but the world is changing and V8s may not be a viable option for a lot longer.

I don't want to argue; I just wanted to offer an opinion (and opinions are like armpits - everyone has a couple and they usually stink). I just think that for myself, and a lot of other truck owners, the 2.7 is more than adequate. Admittedly, if you're towing a huge fifth wheel, or using the truck as an agricultural implement, you'll want the 6.2, but I think a lot of buyers, if they really think about the ways they use their trucks, could not only make do with the four cylinder, but be completely satisfied with it. In fact, given that I live in Denver, I appreciate having the turbo because it doesn't tend to lose power at altitude like a naturally-aspirated motor would.

Finally, this is not my first 4x4, but it's definitely my first full-sized truck. I love this thing and wish I'd gotten one years earlier.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back