What's new

Best cold air intake to go with?

Johnny230

Reaction score
What’s up guys, got a 2020 5.3, looking at cold air intakes, I’m in New York so I know which ever one I get has to be “carb-approved” anyone have any knowledge on what I should get? Been looking at cold air inductions but not sure if I can use it in New York, also been looking at the classic K&N cold air intakes but even with those not sure which one to get, I don’t want to have any issues going for an inspection. thanks guys

Following! I've seen the S&B brand be really good. Anyone else have input?

Check out Roto-Fab also, I'm very pleased!

Attachments

• IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 520
I have the S&B on mine, not sure if it’s carb legal or not, that doesn’t matter here in Canada where I am, love the quality of product, visual looks great, MASSIVE filter lol, made tone of my exhaust totally different and got rid of a lot of the drone, but the Range AFM disabled helped with that a lot as well, sounds nice when u put it foot into it as well.

Well you can always buy GM's cold air intake its carb improved for all 50 States and from what a read it also comes with a tune that you can go to the dealer and have done. Its not cheap as you would expect last time I checked it was a little less than 500 for the system. But you are guaranteed not to get any BS from the dealer about the warranty.

Heres the link if your interested: https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...89794-84854464?c=bD0zJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

What’s up guys, got a 2020 5.3, looking at cold air intakes, I’m in New York so I know which ever one I get has to be “carb-approved” anyone have any knowledge on what I should get? Been looking at cold air inductions but not sure if I can use it in New York, also been looking at the classic K&N cold air intakes but even with those not sure which one to get, I don’t want to have any issues going for an inspection. thanks guys
S&B has the largest air filter and has functional air scoops ...I’ve had volant , k&n and airaid in the past ... for this Silverado model the S&B just seemed like the only choice ... just compare filter sizes ... thing is massive ...I went with the dry filter versus the oiled filter .

Attachments

• B3DEFE5A-C956-41D5-81CF-D11D6A6EC277.jpeg
    B3DEFE5A-C956-41D5-81CF-D11D6A6EC277.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 510
  • 11BBFB34-9914-43C4-A6AE-13CBBADAE229.jpeg
    11BBFB34-9914-43C4-A6AE-13CBBADAE229.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 511
  • 7F3CAC30-59FA-481D-AD09-D79A70358FB2.png
    7F3CAC30-59FA-481D-AD09-D79A70358FB2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 509
Last edited:
S&B has the largest air filter and has functional air scoops ...I’ve had volant , k&n and airaid in the past ... for this Silverado model the S&B just seemed like the only choice ... just compare filter sizes ... thing is massive ...I went with the dry filter versus the oiled filter .
That is one massive air filter. I especially like how the massive intake tube from the filter to throttle body actually tapers down to fit. That's nice but I think I prefer Cold Air Inductions set up. You still get a massive air filter but retain the stock lower air box. It is about half the effort the S & B installation is. The S & B removes the lower air box but still attaches to the stock air scoop which mixes outdoor air with hot radiator air. I watched the S & B installation video and the tech literally removes the stock air scoop, installs the S & B filter, then reinstalls the stock air scoop. If you want a good air scoop, buy a Stillen.

Attachments

• 20210418_121041.jpg
    20210418_121041.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 507
If worried, you could always save the stock airbox to place back on during inspections. It's a 5 - 10 minute swap (tops) if you use an intake that retains the stock lower air box.

That is one massive air filter. I especially like how the massive intake tube from the filter to throttle body actually tapers down to fit. That's nice but I think I prefer Cold Air Inductions set up. You still get a massive air filter but retain the stock lower air box. It is about half the effort the S & B installation is. The S & B removes the lower air box but still attaches to the stock air scoop which mixes outdoor air with hot radiator air. I watched the S & B installation video and the tech literally removes the stock air scoop, installs the S & B filter, then reinstalls the stock air scoop. If you want a good air scoop, buy a Stillen.
Just curious were does cold air inductions get it’s cold air from it it’s completely sealed or does it also connect to the stock air scoop... S&B has air scoops facing the drivers side fenders and ability to open an additional rubber grommet during cool clean weather. I’ve had volant in the past and it has the ability of adding a scoop tube... ultimately it’s all personal preference ..
Where does cold air inductions get its cold air from if it appears to be completely sealed .. yes S&B connects to factory scoop ..: it also has additional scoops towards drivers side fender ... it’s personal preference I suppose . If airbox is completely sealed would it not suffocate it self ?...

I went with the rotofab intake paired with the stillen air scoop

Attachments

• 20210408_185155.jpg
    20210408_185155.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 529
"Sealed" is a relative termed. The stock cold air intake is to the right, as looking at it, with an intake at the right corner. Ambiant air is mixed with radiator air that is hot. The air scoop is not slotted like the stock ones and keeps the hot radiator air out of the induction. Its a clean design.

Last edited:
It almost seems like you can’t really go wrong with any cold air intake that works with the factory intake. Mostly because of the Stillen air scoop I have just learned about lol (it’s happening). The quality of the tubing and filter should be the biggest concern. From there, it’s features, like the CAI intake I got has the window on top, that was a must for me so I can easily look at it without having to take the whole thing apart. From there, aesthetics, what do you like? If you really wanna get crazy, you could wrap it with heat reflecting tape (something I’m looking into when I move to Texas).

All of it will only go so far unless you can get GM to put the factory cold air intake tune in your truck. Since it seems to be set parameters for A/F mixture, unless someone can correct me on that.

How do you like that Stillen air scoop ?
I like it. I can't really *feel* a diff with or without ithe scoop really but the factory tube does connect in between directly to it and to my rotofab, so it should be pulling In direct air from the front grill.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back