What's new

Borla Touring Exhaust

Reaction score
I'm struggling to make a decision on this and looking for some opinions. At first all i wanted to do was swap out the stock exhaust tips with black quad tips. The only ones i could find that are 2.50x4.00 are the Wesdon tips that weld on. Talking to a friend of mine, he says you dont want to do that because first to weld them, they have to grind off the powder coat which can invite corrosion/rust. He suggested to find bolt ons. Which i cant find. Then i was thinking, damn, it might be nice to add a little growl to this thing. BUT i don't want it to loud because well, I'm not a kid anymore and besides, i dont want to wake the neighbors with winter time cold starts when i'm heading out the door to work. Doing some looking around, it seems that maybe the Borla Touring would accomplish this. But i just dont know. Anybody have this exhaust on their 5.3 ? Is it much louder that the stock ? AND is it worth it to drop $2,500 on this exhaust and installation compared to $250 for a set of tips and installation ? Oh my head hurts thinking about this.

Talking to a friend of mine, he says you dont want to do that because first to weld them, they have to grind off the powder coat which can invite corrosion/rust.

The easy fix to that is a cheap can of black spray paint. Touch up the welds with paint and it’ll keep the elements off. There’s a guy here that looks like he did that exactly with those tips.

I have the Touring. It gives you a nice rumble on cold start and when you get into it. Def louder than stock but not overbearing. My suggestion if you go this route, don’t spend over $2k on it. You can get it without the Borla tips for MUCH less. I kept the stock tips and am now looking for another set. To have Borla asking $600-$700 just for tips is insane. I installed it myself and saved install cost as well. Just need a saw and some hand tools and you are good to go.

I have the Touring. It gives you a nice rumble on cold start and when you get into it. Def louder than stock but not overbearing. My suggestion if you go this route, don’t spend over $2k on it. You can get it without the Borla tips for MUCH less. I kept the stock tips and am now looking for another set. To have Borla asking $600-$700 just for tips is insane. I installed it myself and saved install cost as well. Just need a saw and some hand tools and you are good to go.
I guess I didn’t realize it was that much of an up charge for the system with the black quad tips. That is insane. Thanks for your input.

The easy fix to that is a cheap can of black spray paint. Touch up the welds with paint and it’ll keep the elements off. There’s a guy here that looks like he did that exactly with those tips.
I guess I just didn’t think about getting a can of high temp paint to spray them. Thanks for that.

Yea it’s crazy how much it increases just to add tips

Attachments

• 1750D4C1-DC77-487B-ACE1-23653FB5FF7C.png
    1750D4C1-DC77-487B-ACE1-23653FB5FF7C.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 39
I’m old and didn’t want any extra sound.
I got some quad 4in tips and had my exhaust guy (yes I have an exhaust guy since I’m old) fab some mounts and weld them on. Regular black paint is fine. The exhaust is not very hot by the time it gets through everything and eventually exits out the tips.
edhansonsmuffler.com👍
21E39290-45C7-485B-89DF-6A9802A89329.jpeg
7E4A966A-DC5A-46CD-963C-10536D86C5B4.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m old and didn’t want any extra sound.
I got some quad 4in tips and had my exhaust guy (yes I have an exhaust guy since I’m old) fab some mounts and weld them on. Regular black paint is fine. The exhaust is not very hot by the time it gets through everything and eventually exits out the tips.
edhansonsmuffler.com👍
View attachment 5090View attachment 5098
I was looking at your pictures in a previous post and is the look im going for. Wish i had an exhaust guy, would make this a lot easier. Im going to have to start asking around to find a local reputable shop. Thanks for your input, always appreciated.

I had the wesdon quad tips welded on and removed the stock muffler and flapper and swapped with flowmaster super 10. Definitely louder on cold starts and good rumble while driving, but no drone and not bad at all when it warms up. I heard the 40 series is quieter if you want less noise.

Ok. so I'll admit, my plan is for this to be my forever truck (well into no more payments land!), and I ordered it knowing I was going to drop some $$$ into things that were important to me. Diamondback Tonneau, CAI AND a cat back Borla S with carbon fiber quad tips. I never second guessed any of them... the Borla is made incredibly well (hence the 1,000,000 mile warranty) and while I didn't have a muffler guy, and apparently they're not as easy to come by as they used to be, our local Midas shop did an outstanding job with installation. No lie, the S will notify the neighbors of an eminent departure when cold, but it settles down nicely (and quickly) with no drone and a beautiful rumble when asked. I switched my TB order last minute to the 5.3 (from 6.2) when the gas prices hit $6, AND on top of it GM announced the 5.3 was coming without DFM. I know the 6.2 would have gotten me in some trouble, but now I think I have the best of both worlds, that beautiful sound and I can use regular gas!!

I just scored on on a GM cat back system (84964744) Got it off eBay Brand new still in box for $1217.94 Delivered to my door. These systems sell for around $1800 on the GM accessories site. I believe its the Boral touring system without the fancy tips just going to use the factory ones that are part of the bumper. Going to have the local dealership install to retain my factory warranty. Going to sound like Heaven and go like Hell

Just had my GM performance exhaust installed today. Along with the CAI and I am totally pleased with the results. Its not that noticeable sound wise until you push the skinny pedal down then it sounds like heaven and goes like hell.

Most Reactions

Back