What's new

Bought best tire in perfect size for my needs

PHXPHOTOG

Reaction score
This hurt the bank, most expensive tires I have ever purchased but hopefully worth it. I got sick of puncturing sidewalls on the trail with the Duracraps. It happened four times. I replaced them with what is supposed to be one of the strongest sidewalls out there.

BFG KM3 LT285/70/R18 LRE Mud Terrain (34s)

Perfect fit and largest size without more mods. I did mud flap delete a long time ago. I also have the GM spacer leveling kit. They went on the stock wheels perfectly. I think I found the perfect balance I need for off road performance. On another vehicle I wore out 3 sets of BFG KO2 and loved them, great tires.

Steve

20240328_093950.jpg
20240328_094250.jpg

BFG KM3. Yup. I read where the new KO3's have quite stronger sidewalls, IIRC, 27% stronger. I would guess that the KM3's are at least, and probly more.

Mine's gonna need new tires soon, and with the highway driving I do, it looks like the KO3's are what I'll settle on.

vezepilot: FWIW, I found the best price at Costco. When they quote a price it includes everything including the road hazard guarantee and lifetime rotation. Most places charge extra for road hazard. Discount Tire was charging me $75.00 dollars apiece extra for road hazard. I always run a matching spare so I bought 5 at Costco.. It was $501.00 each so just north of 2,700.00 out the door. Here is the crazy part. I priced them 4 months ago and they were $418.00 each. I asked the guy how they could go up so much so fast? He said it has been a crazy year in the tire industry and they can barely keep up with all of the manufacture increases and he expects things to keep going up!
The new KO3 is probably awesome. KO2s have served everyone well for a very long time. I considered the KO3s but considering how hard I am on off road tires I went with the KM3 because they are getting good reviews even for their on road performance. We will see.

Thank you. I am planning my annual 10 day overland off road trip for August again so they will get well tested.

Thank you. I am planning my annual 10 day overland off road trip for August again so they will get well tested.
I am looking forward to that report. If it is anything like your last one, the pictures alone will be fantastic.

This hurt the bank, most expensive tires I have ever purchased but hopefully worth it. I got sick of puncturing sidewalls on the trail with the Duracraps. It happened four times. I replaced them with what is supposed to be one of the strongest sidewalls out there.

BFG KM3 LT285/70/R18 LRE Mud Terrain (34s)

Perfect fit and largest size without more mods. I did mud flap delete a long time ago. I also have the GM spacer leveling kit. They went on the stock wheels perfectly. I think I found the perfect balance I need for off road performance. On another vehicle I wore out 3 sets of BFG KO2 and loved them, great tires.

Steve

View attachment 8539View attachment 8540
Are they noisy on the highway?

Are they noisy on the highway?
Not yet. But I don't expect them to stay perfectly quiet for their lifetime. With big lugs like that I am sure they will start to hum at some point. It is all a trade off.

I'm not a tire expert but I can speak from experience.

The BFG KO2 is about to become the KO3, a revised and strengthened KO2. In my opinion the KO2 has been the best all terrain tire on the market for a long time. Wisper quiet and tough as nails. So good on road BFG gives you a 50,000 mile mileage warranty. I wore out 3 sets of them and loved them. They are tough enough for excellent off road performance with one caveat. They ball up in mud, as most all terain tires do.

To improve off road performance in all conditions manufacturers offer mud terrain tires. The trade off is less tire milage, noise, and diminished on road performance. If my truck was not off road every chance I get I would have chosen the KO3. But off road performance is my priority so I chose the KM3. I get around in the south western states in all kinds of terain. Even here in the Sonoran Desert we have mud. Our mostly dry river beds turn into raging washes during monsoon season. I hate water crossings. They may look cool but they terrify me. I don't like driving blind, especialy when it is certain you will have bad conditions under your tires. Thats just one reason I prefer mud terain tires.

Steve

Most Reactions

Back