What's new

Broken Valve Spring

CARPACK10

Reaction score
All, Friday (21 May 2021) night my 2021 6.2 Trail Boss with 10310 miles on it, lost power and check engine light came on. My wife was driving home from work and got off the interstate on to a frontage road when it happened. When I started it up to see what was happening you could hear a valve tick (Passenger side bank). The more power you gave the engine the louder it got. And a nice plume of smoke coming out of the Tail pipe. GM towed it to the dealership. This morning (Monday 24 May 2021) they called and said a valve spring was broken and the push rod was bent. And they were looking into cylinder damage. They were going to take the head off. It wouldn't be until Tuesday afternoon before they could tell me more. The funny part was the dealer had to complete the service bulletin on the valve springs before i could take it home. They wouldn't even let me drive it until the inspection. I had to drive another vehicle for a test drive. When i finial took it home (4 days later) they said it was good to go. Ill post more tomorrow when I get an update of the damage.

Any update? When was your truck manufactured? I thought this “valve spring” problem was limited to a single lot from a supplier and should have been rectified months ago.

All, Friday (21 May 2021) night my 2021 6.2 Trail Boss with 10310 miles on it, lost power and check engine light came on. My wife was driving home from work and got off the interstate on to a frontage road when it happened. When I started it up to see what was happening you could hear a valve tick (Passenger side bank). The more power you gave the engine the louder it got. And a nice plume of smoke coming out of the Tail pipe. GM towed it to the dealership. This morning (Monday 24 May 2021) they called and said a valve spring was broken and the push rod was bent. And they were looking into cylinder damage. They were going to take the head off. It wouldn't be until Tuesday afternoon before they could tell me more. The funny part was the dealer had to complete the service bulletin on the valve springs before i could take it home. They wouldn't even let me drive it until the inspection. I had to drive another vehicle for a test drive. When i finial took it home (4 days later) they said it was good to go. Ill post more tomorrow when I get an update of the damage.
lmfscrew has a You Tube channel with a 6.2 that had that same failure last week. He just did an update and it looks like it's a common enough problem to be familiar with the GM master mechanics.

I got it back yesterday. My truck was made in Aug/Sep 2020 time frame. I bought it in just before Thanksgiving. They came back and said the valve spring wasn't broke. Cylinder 4 had a bent push rod and collapsed lifter (Didn't say which). They replaced all lifters and guides on the passenger side (bank 2) head. The mechanic referenced Bulletin PIP5776. The truck is running good so far.

Last edited:
I had the same issue at 800 miles back in October 20'. Same issue, same bank, same bulletin. I'm now at 10600 miles and no issue at all. I did negotiate for a warranty extension to 100,000 miles, which was accepted by them with no hesitation.

I had the same issue at 800 miles back in October 20'. Same issue, same bank, same bulletin. I'm now at 10600 miles and no issue at all. I did negotiate for a warranty extension to 100,000 miles, which was accepted by them with no hesitation.
Who did you go through to get the warranty extension? Service manager or the service adviser.

I went directly through the dealer. I refused to accept the fix without the extended warranty. "Either extend the warranty to 100,000 or I'm fighting for a new truck or new crate motor." Done, No discuss at all.

Do you also have the 6.2?

Check out the other threads on this same topic. "Trailboss NOT" and "6.2 liter valve spring issue". Will let you know the research that's been done. Good luck.

Check out the other threads on this same topic. "Trailboss NOT" and "6.2 liter valve spring issue". Will let you know the research that's been done. Good luck.
Is this issue predominantly on the 6.2?
Is the 5.3 ok😬

Most Reactions

Back