What's new

Center console melting?

Greg in NorCal

Reaction score
Has anyone had the issue of the center console melting? Mine has grooves in it like the phone charging cable has melted into the center console. I've checked the charging cables and they don't get hot. Dealership says it is from the sun reflecting off of my homes windows and through the windshield and causing the cords to melt into the center console. One problem with that scenario is that the charging cables aren't left on the console, I drop them onto the floor. Any ideas? I'll add pictures when I get it back from the shop

Has anyone had the issue of the center console melting? Mine has grooves in it like the phone charging cable has melted into the center console. I've checked the charging cables and they don't get hot. Dealership says it is from the sun reflecting off of my homes windows and through the windshield and causing the cords to melt into the center console. One problem with that scenario is that the charging cables aren't left on the console, I drop them onto the floor. Any ideas? I'll add pictures when I get it back from the shop
Classic dealership bullshit…

Are you saying your plugging in your phone to charge with the center arm console USB ports?

I would first make sure you have OEM cables for your phone, then go from there.

Are you saying your plugging in your phone to charge with the center arm console USB ports?

I would first make sure you have OEM cables for your phone, then go from there.
I'm plugging an OEM apple charging cord into the USB port on the dash

Attachments

• Trail Boss center console 2.jpg
    Trail Boss center console 2.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Trail Boss center console 3.jpg
    Trail Boss center console 3.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Trail Boss center console 4.jpg
    Trail Boss center console 4.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Trail Boss center console.jpg
    Trail Boss center console.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 105
I'm plugging an OEM apple charging cord into the USB port on the dash
I tried to charge a Verizon hotspot from the dash the other day and it kept reboot the hotspot. That is the last time I used it. Your center console looks a lot different then mine.

Your only option now would be to cut the damage cable, plug it in and meter the cut end. Atleast you would know what kind of voltage and current is coming out of there.

I'm a former firefighter. I fought a hell of a lot of vehicle fires. NONE of them were started by a particle beam fired by a house!

It can't be the mac cable ether if the plastic coating on the cable is still perfect. And OP says they weren't in contact there.

Anyone besides me remember the days when rubber bass worm fishing lures would melt the plastic trays in an old tacle box that was not worm safe? When I was a kid I put some rubber worms in my Dad's old tackle box and it "melted" the trays. Any chance you set something down there that could be a chemical reaction. On the haz-mat team we had to be very careful about which protective suit we wore because plastics and rubbers are suseptible to chemical "melting". I know I am reaching far here......but it's more possible than your house attacking your truck.

I'm a former firefighter. I fought a hell of a lot of vehicle fires. NONE of them were started by a particle beam fired by a house!

It can't be the mac cable ether if the plastic coating on the cable is still perfect. And OP says they weren't in contact there.

Anyone besides me remember the days when rubber bass worm fishing lures would melt the plastic trays in an old tacle box that was not worm safe? When I was a kid I put some rubber worms in my Dad's old tackle box and it "melted" the trays. Any chance you set something down there that could be a chemical reaction. On the haz-mat team we had to be very careful about which protective suit we wore because plastics and rubbers are suseptible to chemical "melting". I know I am reaching far here......but it's more possible than your house attacking your truck.
I didn’t think about this. I have worms that cannot touch each other or they will melt each other.

I have never seen that at my dealership. Definetly looks like a hot cable was draped over it though but if it was that hot I would assume the insulation would be toast. That sucks, you can ask for GM assistance if they wont cover it under warranty, we usually do it as customer enthusiasm.

ive had a couple amazon "certified" cables burn the end of the connector but never got the cable portion hot, should get yourself a cheap usb power readout and see whats coming out of those jacks

My $0.02 on what may be going on;

1) Cheap rubber cables
(or)
2) Greasy/oily cables

The oil is getting onto the plastic/fabric and the sun is cooking it, creating a magnifying effect, and melting the plastic down. If the cable is sitting on the plastic when this happens, the material is just getting malleable and the cable's weight is creating the indentation on the now soft plastic below.

Still, this shouldn't happen! If it was the cables themselves, you'd smell a burning/cooking smell, and I doubt you do.

I’m going with your dealer’s explanation.
They are extremely knowledgeable and ALWAYS tell the truth🤣

Reactions: Baz

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back