What's new

Cold air intake

Dominic R

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 trail boss lt 5.3 and wanted to install a gm cold air intake so I would t have any warranty issues but gm is saying my truck is not compatible with the programming that’s needed for the intake.. My question is does this sound right and or is there a way around??? Thanks for the help!!

I put S&B on my 5.3 no problems & runs better. i dont think aftermarket air filters void warranty

I just bought a 2021 trail boss lt 5.3 and wanted to install a gm cold air intake so I would t have any warranty issues but gm is saying my truck is not compatible with the programming that’s needed for the intake.. My question is does this sound right and or is there a way around??? Thanks for the help!!
Do your self a favor, buy a S&B. I have a 6.2, so I can't speak on the 5.3. But the sound is amazing.

I’m not sure if that is right or not. I have a 2021 6.2L that came with the performance package which includes the GM cold air intake. I have not had any issues with it. Truck runs and sounds amazing.

Well I’d like to stick with gm’s intake but first I need to find out about this program that the dealer is saying I can’t get!

Well I’d like to stick with gm’s intake but first I need to find out about this program that the dealer is saying I can’t get!
Maybe found out from another dealer just to see what they say. My truck was special ordered and they don’t even put performance package on until it gets to the dealership. I had a recall to take it back in just to reprogram the CAI. Dealerships were just putting them in and not following the program that Chevy wants so they did a recall so dealerships would have to do it. Not sure if that impacts you or not.

Attachments

• 640DF2DC-0150-49A8-8BCC-D3CBB2D7D315.jpeg
    640DF2DC-0150-49A8-8BCC-D3CBB2D7D315.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 70
Ok I’ll call around and see what the other dealers have to say my guy is saying my truck isn’t compatible for the programming needed which I thought I bought the top model of trail boss besides the big motor it has everything…. I dunno they say it will throw a code and truck will run like crap

Ok I’ll call around and see what the other dealers have to say my guy is saying my truck isn’t compatible for the programming needed which I thought I bought the top model of trail boss besides the big motor it has everything…. I dunno they say it will throw a code and truck will run like crap
That’s weird when you are able to order them when they were letting you order the performance package before the stock on those items are limited now. Let me know what you find out.

Find yourself another dealer. The ECM probably does need a tune made for the performance package which is available and should work fine on a 5.3.

As a followup to my previous post, you currently cannot order the Chevy performance intake for the 6,2 Trail Boss unless it came with the truck from the factory. Their ECM tuning software checks the VIN and your dealer cannot download the tune for it unless the VIN matches a truck that had it from the factory. Really dumb. I wonder if anyone using 3rd party intakes on a 6.2 is having check engine light issues cause they don't have this tune. You can still order the performance pipes or one of the Borlas for the 6.2 from Chevy, but that doesn't require the tune.

Jumping in here to see who all has recommendations of cold air intakes (aside of the above mentioned ones). Since I can't go with the GM one, looking for opinions on what people are running. Previously had a K&N nighthawk, and it was okay. Kind of want to branch out into one that might have better performance than that one did.

As a followup to my previous post, you currently cannot order the Chevy performance intake for the 6,2 Trail Boss unless it came with the truck from the factory. Their ECM tuning software checks the VIN and your dealer cannot download the tune for it unless the VIN matches a truck that had it from the factory. Really dumb. I wonder if anyone using 3rd party intakes on a 6.2 is having check engine light issues cause they don't have this tune. You can still order the performance pipes or one of the Borlas for the 6.2 from Chevy, but that doesn't require the tune.
Been running a Rotofab for over a year, no issues! Sounds great runs great!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpg
    IMG_2113.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 72

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back