What's new

Cold start noise

Deadstockpomp

Reaction score
Not sure if it’s necessarily a problem but I have 8xx miles on my 6.2 boss and ever since I got it I realized on cold starts for like a second maybe a second and a half I hear a knocking/marble/ticking sound. I can hear it from inside my house sometimes with the window open. It goes away immediately and dosent do it on a warm start. Is this piston slap? Injectors? Anyone else hear this?

Last edited:
Maybe you could listen to another 6.2 and see if it sounds the same? The V6 in my Acura sounds a lot different than the 5.3 in my TB. Just a suggestion(y).

Occasionally I hear a bit of a "rattle" on cold starts, just for a moment.

After listening more carefully I have concluded that it is an exhaust noise. I beleive it is coming from the bottom of the truck, hence some kind of start up exhaust sound near the catalytic converters, maybe some sort of cavitating exhaust pressure effect on start up?

Not concerned, I ve had my 6.2 Trail Boss almost 2 years and have about 20K miles now.

Continue to be very pleased with the truck!!

Last edited:
Mine does that occasionally. It is the end of the exhaust pipe vibrating against the exhaust tip. The pipe end is just sitting in the tips and not perfectly centered.

Steve

Yeah, I've already hear this sound, and doesn't sound mechanical in nature (ie. engine/trans) so I'm not concerned.

This is the exact noise I’m getting ! You can hear the braaaaap for like a second. This is not my truck btw

My 6.2 has a bad case of the braaaaaaaps on cold starts too… I’ve got the Borla Touring cat back system, so I’m thinking it’s the cats.

My 6.2 has a bad case of the braaaaaaaps on cold starts too… I’ve got the Borla Touring cat back system, so I’m thinking it’s the cats.
I have a stock exhaust. I was doing some reading and it seems the oil pump can make weird noises like that on cold starts. I’m not 100% sure though

Reactions: Baz
It's been pretty cold in Ohio and when I remote start mine (front of truck towards me) I hear a weird sound that is similar to what everybody else is describing. Truck starts and a second later a sound that is almost like a rattle that lasts for a second and then stops. Not so sure it has anything to do with the exhaust as the sound appears to come from the front of the engine. I have 2400 miles on mine. Next time I cold start it, I'll pop the hood and listen a little more carefully to see if I can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I'm also going to record it for my dealer. My truck is completely stock.

Mine made all kinds of crazy noises when I started it today.. 9 degrees outside with 35mph winds though, Real feel is -21 at this moment..I have not noticed and strange noises on mine when the temperature is warmer, I will have to pay more attention when I start it again tomorrow..

Attachments

• 4D844D97-E2F0-471F-B3B7-5C7C93F6E64E.jpeg
    4D844D97-E2F0-471F-B3B7-5C7C93F6E64E.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 37
It's been pretty cold in Ohio and when I remote start mine (front of truck towards me) I hear a weird sound that is similar to what everybody else is describing. Truck starts and a second later a sound that is almost like a rattle that lasts for a second and then stops. Not so sure it has anything to do with the exhaust as the sound appears to come from the front of the engine. I have 2400 miles on mine. Next time I cold start it, I'll pop the hood and listen a little more carefully to see if I can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I'm also going to record it for my dealer. My truck is completely stock.
My 6.2 often makes the same weird momentary rattle type of sound at startup… I’m glad to hear it’s normal (knock on wood).

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back