What's new

Colorado Trail Boss Owners!

The thing with this Volunteer Offroad Recovery Portal is that recoveries are not easy to plan around.

So we got a call today ... folks slid off the road in snow on a mountain road near Georgetown, CO. About an hour away.
What was I planning to do today ... ?
Do we get a recovery report?

Yup, now that I’m back home. We have photos, and I need to rum ‘em through GIMP before I post.

Was a beautiful day, and it was satisfying to do a rather difficult recovery without too much trouble. Both a Jeep and a Trail Boss were required.

So Josh was up on road last night that is surprisingly TRICKY. Up above Georgetown, CO ... I drove past it twice. Definitely in the mountains.

GeorgetownRecoveryPin.jpg

That's a little over an hour from here, and another Volunteer was also on the way. They got there a few minutes before me, and two vehicles with winches were absolutely required:

IMG_1768.jpeg

It was difficult. We tried one method with winches ... and made it worse, I have to admit. Then we changed lines to pull it entirely sideways. Trying to pull the vehicle in the direction it was pointed wasn't working. The Safe-Xtract app said we need to apply more than 13,000 lbs.

We set Double Line rigging from Nicolas's Gladiator, but we couldn't figure out how to rig a Double Line pull from my truck. My line had to go up around some trees, over a large boulder, and then onto a Winch Ring tied to a coupla trees.

Once we got it up onto the road, pulling was easy.

IMG_1770.jpeg

The road is very rough, slippery and with a long drop all along the way.

IMG_1773.jpeg

It was a good day. The drive out, the recovery and the drive back took me only four hours.

And now that I'm home, I have figured out how we could have rigged a Double Line from my Trail Boss. It would have taken another Ring and a coupla Soft Shackles ... but also a lot more climbing around in snow that was waist deep on the uphill side of the road. Without that planning and lacking the double line rigging, my OpenRoad Winch was clearly maxed out. It could not have pulled any harder. And because my Winch Rope went sideways and uphill steeply, it was lifting my TB off the road. 😐

Last edited:
Very cool. Glad good people like you and all the others in Volunteer Off-road Recovery Portal exist.

Here is the Official report regarding the Recovery of Josh's 4Runner above Georgetown, CO Sunday the 16th.

Note there is a link provided to Nicholas and Noel's YouTube channel where they have published videos of off road fun.

Hey! glad to see this forum. I spend my time between Douglas and Grand County! :)

Wow, really? One of the reasons I am active on this board is because it is so positive. Seems to me most guys here are looking for good information or sharing their own tips and experience. Their is a TB facebook groop full of whiners and guys bad mouthing each other and the trucks. I am sure some of them would appreciate your domestic terorism joke more than I did. And if that comment makes you think I am some politicaly correct kind of guy pushing my opinions you would be wrong.

Steve
ok

Most Reactions

Back