What's new

Dealer suggestions

theUSAchevy

Reaction score
Just got back from the dealership and they recommended a few things other than the oil chance and tire rotation. 1st was brake fluid service, then 4x4 service front and rear diff and transfer case, and then coolant flush. Currently my 21 TB has 59k miles with the 5.3. Whats yalls thoughts on these suggestions. I feel like sometime they are just saying some things to see what you will pay for. For example in the same truck i replaced both wipers and a few weeks after I took it in for the oil change and the consultant was dead set on selling me a new set even after I told him i had replace a few weeks ago.

I am considering a few of these maintenance steps. I'm not sure if the Diagnostic Reports (emails) will properly inform me of the schedules for required service.
And besides, I don't believe I will be doing the diff service or a coolant flush myself. My '21 TB has nearly 42,000 miles on it now.

Currently I do the oil changes on our rides. I have not had the truck to a dealer since the first year. I think that taking it to my favorite dealer might be a good investment. I am also going to need a new windshield, due to blowing sand damage. And then new tires.

I am interested in others thoughts on this. I have always just done oil changes myself and never taken vehicles to the dealer for all of these preventative maintenance and fluid flushes etc., and in 20 years and multiple vehicles I have never had a repair that would have been avoided by preventative maintenance. But I have never owned a 4x4 or did regular towing before, so maybe this is different.

For a 60K mile service I think they're pretty spot on. I'd also add spark plugs and belts to that list if it were me. Coolant can go 5 years before replacement but I don't know what yours looks like.... Antilock brake and traction control systems need clean brake fluid to work properly. Rear diff is a must. Transfer case and front diff are too if you drive in auto or 4WD, and I would change fluids even if you don't. Preventative maintenance is Important! 🤙

For a 60K mile service I think they're pretty spot on. I'd also add spark plugs and belts to that list if it were me. Coolant can go 5 years before replacement but I don't know what yours looks like.... Antilock brake and traction control systems need clean brake fluid to work properly. Rear diff is a must. Transfer case and front diff are too if you drive in auto or 4WD, and I would change fluids even if you don't. Preventative maintenance is Important! 🤙
60k and it requires new spark plugs? Belts I get, and the coolant would depend on how extreme weather conditions you live in. Hot to cold every season. I totally agree about preventative maintenance. Just figured now and days manufacturers are installing 100k spark plugs.

60k and it requires new spark plugs? Belts I get, and the coolant would depend on how extreme weather conditions you live in. Hot to cold every season. I totally agree about preventative maintenance. Just figured now and days manufacturers are installing 100k spark plugs.
V8 spark plugs are 97,500 miles... but my preference is to do it at 60K. They can be a bear to get out after that many miles! Snapping a spark plug off is huge pain in the a$$ :ROFLMAO:

Are any of those things listed in the GM recommended 60K service? If not, under normal operating conditions, I wouldn't do any of it. Defiantly do the $100 cabin air filter replacement :ROFLMAO: :p

Last time I did a transfer case fluid change was on a 2005 Silverado. I think it was at about 172,000 miles when I got a "service 4WD" on the dash. Changed out the old fluid with 100% synthetic Mobile one gear lube. Never saw the "service 4WD" again.

Just make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain the transfer case. (y)

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back