What's new

Dealership left oil filter loose on my 2020 Trail Boss with 9000 miles on it

Miniroush

Reaction score
Took my 2020 trail boss in with 8025 miles on it for its second oil change as we were going to Florida for vacation 1600 mile round trip. Did not notice that the dealership had left the oil filter loose until truck was parked in the street at our house after returning from Florida. Went to move my truck to the driveway from in front of the house and noticed I had about a 4’ x 4’ patch of oil under the truck. Moved it to the driveway around 10 pm and got under it and saw the oil dripping from the oil filter at a rate of 1 drip every 5 seconds. By morning time the drip had basically come to a stop. Checked the dip stick oil was below the bottom of the normal line. Had dealership pick it up from my house and they simply filled it back up with oil and a new filter and tell they put it on the laptop and we’re all good no problems. Thoughts on damaged that may have occurred? What should I expect from the dealership? All I know is it ain’t all good from where I stand………..by the way dealership tells me they drained 5.5 quarts so wasn’t near out of oil, anybody think that’s what the dipstick shows. I told him that’s a starting point, we’ll drain it put in 5.5 quarts with a new filter, if matches the oil in my picture of the dipstick no problem I guess, but if you lied to me and it doesn’t match, than we have a problem because your WORD can not be trusted. Thoughts…………….

Attachments

• 9EDBA6B2-87C9-4E06-944D-70E3DCF6E3CC.jpeg
    9EDBA6B2-87C9-4E06-944D-70E3DCF6E3CC.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 43
  • C8E376FC-5719-4DC9-80DD-BD590AAAFC17.jpeg
    C8E376FC-5719-4DC9-80DD-BD590AAAFC17.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 7AD31201-A6C9-4207-9388-F4B4890D8C87.jpeg
    7AD31201-A6C9-4207-9388-F4B4890D8C87.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 29
Took my 2020 trail boss in with 8025 miles on it for its second oil change as we were going to Florida for vacation 1600 mile round trip. Did not notice that the dealership had left the oil filter loose until truck was parked in the street at our house after returning from Florida. Went to move my truck to the driveway from in front of the house and noticed I had about a 4’ x 4’ patch of oil under the truck. Moved it to the driveway around 10 pm and got under it and saw the oil dripping from the oil filter at a rate of 1 drip every 5 seconds. By morning time the drip had basically come to a stop. Checked the dip stick oil was below the bottom of the normal line. Had dealership pick it up from my house and they simply filled it back up with oil and a new filter and tell they put it on the laptop and we’re all good no problems. Thoughts on damaged that may have occurred? What should I expect from the dealership? All I know is it ain’t all good from where I stand………..by the way dealership tells me they drained 5.5 quarts so wasn’t near out of oil, anybody think that’s what the dipstick shows. I told him that’s a starting point, we’ll drain it put in 5.5 quarts with a new filter, if matches the oil in my picture of the dipstick no problem I guess, but if you lied to me and it doesn’t match, than we have a problem because your WORD can not be trusted. Thoughts…………….
document all of it with pics and noted of who and when you talked to them and contents of the conversation. you never know if you may need it for a claim later. record these things asap after they occur. hopefully they earn some trust back

That was a very slow leak from the looks of it. If it was a bad leak the area around your filter would have been covered in oil. You should not have any damage at all. The amount on the ground is small. Likely less than what the filter itself can hold.

The fact that the low oil lamp did not illuminate and it was only 2.5qts low, I would say your fine bub.

Thanks for your thoughts, definitely helpful in resolving this situation in my head…. Lol

I’d ask the dealership for a free filter and 8qts of oil then do the change myself for peace of mind.

Another reason I do my own maintenance.
If’ it’s done wrong, I know who to blame🤣

Most Reactions

Back