What's new

Dealership Oil Change Nightmare

BigBadChevyMN

Reaction score
Went to the local dealership yesterday to get an oil change and everything was going great until I left the dealership and was about 2 miles away. A warning popped up saying Low Oil Pressure - Stop Engine.... Not what I wanted to see. Pulled over and check the dip stick and was bone dry.... Called the dealership and they offered to have someone run out with quarts of oil to drive it back to the dealership or get it towed which I agreed was the right move. They thankfully arranged for the tow truck to pick up the truck off the side of the road and bring it back to the dealership. During my wait I checked under the truck and found a puddle of oil under the truck and saw it leaking from the oil filter fairly heavily (picture attached).

Once it got back to the dealership it was about another hour and half as they looked over the truck and perform another oil change. They came back and said the engine checked out fine and it was due to a defective oil filter which didn't seal... Has anyone heard of this happening? I have heard of a double gasket which makes it not seal but not a defective oil filter.

I had the dealership note that this happened to hopefully avoid any issue down the road if an engine problem comes up.

I knew I should have just changed the oil myself but was being lazy...

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_213934682.jpg
    PXL_20220414_213934682.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 105
that's BS..... If somethings not right you can tell when spinning on the filter.... If they missed it they would have picked it up when the engine was running a few minutes to make sure no leaks... changing the oil is super easy as the truck is high off the ground...
anytime I pick up a vehicle I look around the area they worked with the employee... Glad it wasn't worse

Thats what I thought as well that they would have caught this when they started the truck and checked oil levels again...

This dealership as the pit under the truck so I couldn't see anything under the truck as far as leak on the ground when I drove it away. I drove it out of their service bay.

Could have been a defective filter - everything is mass produced...
it happens

Yep, happened to my 2021 in January. I noticed my driveway was covered in oil spots about a week after my oil change.

They stated it was a bad filter. I think they aren’t taking the time to start and check for leaks after the oil change.

Attachments

• 6B51BD82-61CF-4DB7-834D-7FE185855777.jpeg
    6B51BD82-61CF-4DB7-834D-7FE185855777.jpeg
    914.7 KB · Views: 5
It's happened to a few guys I know so I never let the Dealership change my oil and I turned down a number of free oil changes they offered I take it to a local shop that has always taken care of my vehicles and they care , I don't get that felling from the dealership. I use Amsoil only way better oil in my opinion. The other morning my truck did a weird thing and it wouldn't start the display said steering wheel lock needs servicing so I called the dealership and they said have onstar drag it out of garage the shifter would not budge so I said thanks for nothing.. I pulled the ground off then put it back on started right up no problem since . I have 23k on my 2020 now no problems to speak of

well then there’s the question of what kinda crap do they put in your engine …..

Amsoil around 122 with filter and Mobile 1 85 bucks... both approx... 10 minutes to change oil...

What’s average cost to change oil on your own?
I buy 20qts of Costco/Kirkland synthetic
0-20W for $60. And 4 PF63 Filters for $20. So I guess about $25.
I drive about 10,000 mi a yr and change it when the computer tells me to. About 7,000mi based on my mostly hiway driving in mild conditions.

I drive about 10,000 mi a yr and change it when the computer tells me to. About 7,000mi based on my mostly hiway driving in mild conditions.
That’s not bad at all really. I have a sams club so I am sure they would have something comparable. I am closer to 15k a year

While my TB is still under warranty, I prefer to take it to the dealer because they do the required inspections as well as an oil change. When my 2011 got to be more than 5 years old, I started doing the oil changes myself, for sure. Also because I bought a Corvette. Which had absolutely NO HISTORY of visiting a dealer for service. And that's because the C6 Corvettes (2005 - 2013) are just a pure joy to work on. Both previous owners must have doen all the work. The car is flawless.

Also "my dealer" here is most certainly NOT the place where we bought my TB. I wouldn't take it to that Chevy dealer EVER. After the Chevy dealer here in town turned into a honda shop, I looked elsewhere. All other Chevy dealers are either bad or terrible around here. So I am forced to take my trucks to McCaddon GMC-Cadillac. awww ....

Only one of the TOP RATED dealers in the country. I am very fortunate. Next visit is Thursday. We'll see if current events have changed them ...

While my TB is still under warranty, I prefer to take it to the dealer because they do the required inspections as well as an oil change. When my 2011 got to be more than 5 years old, I started doing the oil changes myself, for sure. Also because I bought a Corvette. Which had absolutely NO HISTORY of visiting a dealer for service. And that's because the C6 Corvettes (2005 - 2013) are just a pure joy to work on. Both previous owners must have doen all the work. The car is flawless.

Also "my dealer" here is most certainly NOT the place where we bought my TB. I wouldn't take it to that Chevy dealer EVER. After the Chevy dealer here in town turned into a honda shop, I looked elsewhere. All other Chevy dealers are either bad or terrible around here. So I am forced to take my trucks to McCaddon GMC-Cadillac. awww ....

Only one of the TOP RATED dealers in the country. I am very fortunate. Next visit is Thursday. We'll see if current events have changed them ...
I'm on dealer number 3

Dang only 10k a year!!!! I assume your TB is not your daily

Most Reactions

Back