What's new

Dealership Vs Quick Lube

theUSAchevy

Reaction score
I wanted to see what the collective thought on getting an oil change at the dealership vs a quick lube shop. With my 2016 Z71 I took it to the dealership for every oil change and for a full synthetic it was a very fair price even cheaper than the quick lube by my house. The dealership kept very accurate service updates that I could see on the carfax report so that was something I liked to see. For those who want to tell me just to change it myself Im more than capable but id rather kick a few extra bucks and not have to deal with the old oil or the possible mess. Are there any other pros and cons for either service locations?

Tough one. I generally take to the dealer like you said and not deal with the waste oil and filter. Until the warranty is up I choose to take it there so everything is documented and recorded. I have access to a hoist which helps, so I do change oil once and awhile on my cars. Just don't know of everything to look at for wear so to say.

So those are the differences: a Dealership, a quick Lube Shop or doing it yourself. A GM/Chevy Dealership will perform the required inspections, and the oil change, perhaps rotate the tires, perform warranty or recall repairs, and maybe run your vehicle through their carwash.

Taking it to a corner Lube Shop is a lot more like doing it yourself: my understanding is that these do not perform the inspections that a dealership will do, just as I don't do the inspections either.

So I usually will take a rather new vehicle to a dealership every time, while the vehicle is still on warranty. After that, I do the oil changes myself ... or sometimes take it to a quick lube shop if I don't want the hassle. This is regarding the trucks that I have owned. On my 2011 truck I also did things like replacing the four exhaust O2 sensors. And honestly, after warranty work done in the first 5 years at dealerships, in over 120,000 miles that was all it needed: Oil Changes, tire rotations and O2 sensors. Didn't need coolant flush, light bulb replacements, water pump replacements ... nothing. That is why I stick with Chevy. :)

For the Corvette, it's a totally different story. I have tried taking this vehicle to the dealer, a VERY reputable GM dealership. They cannot mount tires on the rims nor balance the tires & wheels; they admitted they don't really know much about the car; and for work they might agree to do, they want to charge about THREE TIMES what a Corvette shop charges. So I (and apparently the two previous owners) perform ALL necessary inspection, maintenance and repair myself. Fortunately, it's actually enjoyable and worthwhile. And familiarity can lead to Hot Rod Mods ... :cool:

I do it myself. Its no so much about the $ but more about knowing the pan bolt isn’t stripped and the filter won’t leak. Plus I don’t have to drive it to the dealer and wait around.

... knowing the pan bolt isn’t stripped and the filter won’t leak.
The Pan Bolt!
That was one of the few problems on my Corvette when I bought it. Not the threads, but the Flats of the hex bolt. I had to use one of those gizmo-wrenches to grab the head to remove it before I could install a new drain bolt.

Update! So I took my TB into the Chevy house and come to find out the 1st oil change is free so I'm glad I took it there!!!! There were some pros and cons, I was in at 0700 and out around 0800, did the oil change, gave it a quick wash, they did find a nail in one of my tires and they patched it up no charge but forgot to tell me until I read over my paperwork. They also forgot to put my wheel lock key back in my truck so I had to go back by on the way home from work.

I have lifetime oil changes for free...(dealership) the problem is they use the cheapest bulk synthetic you can buy... I'm a oil snob I prefer Mobil or Amsoil.... and Wicks filters....Every so often I change oil myself when I'm in MX..... as soon as I add top of the line oil I definitely notice the truck spins up through the tach faster for sure... it truly is noticeable... same with previous vehicles being High performance or stock as with my race bikes, slipper clutches etc...
so what do I do since I have free oil changes ?.... and Mobil 1 in MX is approx. 150 bucks with filter ? I change the oil at the dealership every 3500 miles (that's when the oil is no longer clear) In MX ? yep I still get stiffed buying Mobil one or Amsoil... After the dealership work I always look at the truck with the employee to make sure all is well.. last week the only thing I caught was they didn't reset the oil life on the dash... keeps them on their game ? Quick lube shops ? Hell no !! ... (the damage they do under the hood and scratches on the vehicle..too sloppy and always in a rush, inexperienced young guys who don't care.... just my 2 C's

I have lifetime oil changes for free...(dealership) the problem is they use the cheapest bulk synthetic you can buy... I'm a oil snob I prefer Mobil or Amsoil.... and Wicks filters....Every so often I change oil myself when I'm in MX..... as soon as I add top of the line oil I definitely notice the truck spins up through the tach faster for sure... it truly is noticeable... same with previous vehicles being High performance or stock as with my race bikes, slipper clutches etc...
so what do I do since I have free oil changes ?.... and Mobil 1 in MX is approx. 150 bucks with filter ? I change the oil at the dealership every 3500 miles (that's when the oil is no longer clear) In MX ? yep I still get stiffed buying Mobil one or Amsoil... After the dealership work I always look at the truck with the employee to make sure all is well.. last week the only thing I caught was they didn't reset the oil life on the dash... keeps them on their game ? Quick lube shops ? Hell no !! ... (the damage they do under the hood and scratches on the vehicle..too sloppy and always in a rush, inexperienced young guys who don't care.... just my 2 C's
Man I tried like hell to get free oil changes and they wouldnt budge at all, I did get them to add on a spray in liner. I agree that is my biggest concern with those quick lube spots all they care about is how many cars they can get in and out a day, that and way over charge you to change a cabin or air filter lol!

Man I tried like hell to get free oil changes and they wouldnt budge at all, I did get them to add on a spray in liner. I agree that is my biggest concern with those quick lube spots all they care about is how many cars they can get in and out a day, that and way over charge you to change a cabin or air filter lol!
I just took mine into the dealer for my free oil change and they tried to get me to replace the engine and cabin filters while I was there, $144. LOL. No thanks!

Just ordered them both online for less than $50 total.

Most Reactions

Back