What's new

Diamondback Tonneau HD or SE?

Kjr3612

Reaction score
Anyone running a Diamondback ?
I’ve had a Bakflip MX4 for about a month. Not really thrilled with its weather protection or its rigidity. So pretty much set on moving to the Diamondback for those reasons, and few others. Ive been a Suburban /Yukon XL lifer owning about 10 different ones of those , and this is my first pickup. I can see myself using a rooftop tent in the future here , so trying to decide on whether I really need the HD version . The biggest hang up for me
Is the extra 35lbs of weight over the SE version. Am I overthinking that ? Is 35 lbs really that negligible ? Just feel like it’s extra weight I really don’t need as I don’t plan on hauling atv’s or dirt bikes up there, but maybe the extra strength is beneficial for the rooftop tent ?

Actually got the Diamondback before I took possession of my truck 🤣 I went with the SE for the same reasons that you explained about not hauling ATVs etc. It is a solid cover with great workmanship. Love the integrated anchor cleats. Was easy to install and had good instructions. I had issues with the locks on my old cover freezing up and I couldn't get into my bed without pouring a cup of warm water over them. I have had the Diamondback for two winters in PA and never had an issue with not being able to get into my bed for that reason. One thing to think about is if you are going to be using your truck to move large items like furniture, removing the cover requires tools and you need to remove the center section as well. They do sell the Switchback which was not available at the time of my purchase. That may give you a little more room in the back without having to remove the whole cover. Only slight negative with mine is that it's not 100% water tight. I get some very small leaks that are in no way a threat to my cargo. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Recommend this cover for sure. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_3113.JPEG
    IMG_3113.JPEG
    527.1 KB · Views: 27
Yea I don’t plan on hauling a lot of big items with a need for full bed access often . It’s more about security , weather resistance , and rigidity. I’m in upper Midwest, Wisconsin , so weather resistance is more of a priority.

Yea I don’t plan on hauling a lot of big items with a need for full bed access often . It’s more about security , weather resistance , and rigidity. I’m in upper Midwest, Wisconsin , so weather resistance is more of a priority.
Than this should be a good choice for sure.

Once you mount the additional rack and tent over a Diamondback cover your bed access is too limited for my taste. You can't flip the cover up enough to be useful. If I was going to go with a rooftop rig I would be looking at the roll up covers so I could get to all of the camping gear in the bed.

I added an SE to my TB about 5 weeks after I bought my truck (delivery time). I picked the SE because I can’t see any need for the higher loading capacity and like the fact the panels are a bit lighter. Just completed two separate week long camping trips and couldn’t be happier with the cover. No leaking issues for me from the cover (a very tiny about of water in a heavy rain from the tailgate but I don’t think it was the cover). I don’t haul tall stuff just camping gear etc and have a hitch rack for my bikes. I like the way it looks and functions. It’s super tough and I personally would never need the HD.

Once you mount the additional rack and tent over a Diamondback cover your bed access is too limited for my taste. You can't flip the cover up enough to be useful. If I was going to go with a rooftop rig I would be looking at the roll up covers so I could get to all of the camping gear in the bed.
I was eyeing the BAK Revolver X4TS as well.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back