What's new

Dynamic fuel management deleted.

Mathias

Reaction score
I learned yesterday that going forward, the 5.3L engine option will not have the DFM/AFM feature due to the chip shortage. I read the GM bulletin while at the dealership. It claimed a loss of 1mpg due to this deletion. Frankly, I consider this a good thing. Seems to me, one less thing to possibly go wrong over time.
I could have left with a 6.2l yesterday, they had 2 equipped as I want, but opted to order a 5.3l instead. The 10spd transmission has given new life to this power plant IMO. I’d driven Tahoe’s at work with 5.3l for years, our fleet never had a single issue with that engine.
Also due to the shortage, no safety pack option. Again, for me no big deal. Wife’s SUV has more alerts than I can stand!
I welcome comments or opposing point of views.

BenchTest

Reaction score
What trim level is yours that came with the 10 spd? Guessing LT?

PHXPHOTOG

Reaction score
2021 5.3L LT2 10 speed

Love the 10 speed. I tow a very heavy 30 foot travel trailer. When going down steep hills the 10 speed works so well I joke that it is like cruise control reversed. I can pick a gear to hold the rig back at any speed I choose. My foot hardly ever touches the brakes.

Steve

NHNightskyTrailBoss

Reaction score
I need to figure out if my new truck has this or not. It’s a 2021 TB LT 5.3 10spd. It has auto stop start but unlike the Ram I traded it does not tell you if it’s in 4CYL mode.

I will say, going from a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed to the 5.3 10 speed concerned me. I always drove my 5.7 with a pedal commander because it felt slow and unresponsive stock. I was concerned the 355hp 5.3 would feel sluggish like my inlaws 2013 5.3 Sierra. But the 10 speed really makes all the difference. I don’t even feel the need for a PC for tge new truck. Yet. lol

dagedoty

Reaction score
I need to figure out if my new truck has this or not. It’s a 2021 TB LT 5.3 10spd. It has auto stop start but unlike the Ram I traded it does not tell you if it’s in 4CYL mode.

I will say, going from a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed to the 5.3 10 speed concerned me. I always drove my 5.7 with a pedal commander because it felt slow and unresponsive stock. I was concerned the 355hp 5.3 would feel sluggish like my inlaws 2013 5.3 Sierra. But the 10 speed really makes all the difference. I don’t even feel the need for a PC for tge new truck. Yet. lol
I noticed on the window stickers of the new Silverados there is a a $50 credit for AFM/DFM delete due to the chip shortage. Your window sticker should show if it was deleted in yours.

NHNightskyTrailBoss

Reaction score
I noticed on the window stickers of the new Silverados there is a a $50 credit for AFM/DFM delete due to the chip shortage. Your window sticker should show if it was deleted in yours.
I didn’t see anything about a credit, but I also don’t see anything describing the engine besides being a 5.3 with a 10 speed. Do the AFM/DFM trucks still have auto stop start?

juicedgsr95

Reaction score
Mine with a build date of 4/21 also doesn’t mention AFM and I don’t see a credit on the window sticker. My Tahoe would show when it was in 4 cyl mode. This LT Trailboss does not show that.

NHNightskyTrailBoss

Reaction score
Mine with a build date of 4/21 also doesn’t mention AFM and I don’t see a credit on the window sticker. My Tahoe would show when it was in 4 cyl mode. This LT Trailboss does not show that.

Hmm, that’s what I thought. I’d love to figure out a way to determine if it has cylinder deactivation or not.

pbprime

Reaction score
My window sticker shows
ENG: 5.3L ECOTECH3 V8 W/O AFM
Credit - NOT EQUIPPED WITH

Most Reactions