What's new

Dynamic fuel management deleted.

Mathias

Reaction score
I learned yesterday that going forward, the 5.3L engine option will not have the DFM/AFM feature due to the chip shortage. I read the GM bulletin while at the dealership. It claimed a loss of 1mpg due to this deletion. Frankly, I consider this a good thing. Seems to me, one less thing to possibly go wrong over time.
I could have left with a 6.2l yesterday, they had 2 equipped as I want, but opted to order a 5.3l instead. The 10spd transmission has given new life to this power plant IMO. I’d driven Tahoe’s at work with 5.3l for years, our fleet never had a single issue with that engine.
Also due to the shortage, no safety pack option. Again, for me no big deal. Wife’s SUV has more alerts than I can stand!
I welcome comments or opposing point of views.

What trim level is yours that came with the 10 spd? Guessing LT?

2021 5.3L LT2 10 speed

Love the 10 speed. I tow a very heavy 30 foot travel trailer. When going down steep hills the 10 speed works so well I joke that it is like cruise control reversed. I can pick a gear to hold the rig back at any speed I choose. My foot hardly ever touches the brakes.

Steve

I need to figure out if my new truck has this or not. It’s a 2021 TB LT 5.3 10spd. It has auto stop start but unlike the Ram I traded it does not tell you if it’s in 4CYL mode.

I will say, going from a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed to the 5.3 10 speed concerned me. I always drove my 5.7 with a pedal commander because it felt slow and unresponsive stock. I was concerned the 355hp 5.3 would feel sluggish like my inlaws 2013 5.3 Sierra. But the 10 speed really makes all the difference. I don’t even feel the need for a PC for tge new truck. Yet. lol

I need to figure out if my new truck has this or not. It’s a 2021 TB LT 5.3 10spd. It has auto stop start but unlike the Ram I traded it does not tell you if it’s in 4CYL mode.

I will say, going from a 5.7 Hemi 8 speed to the 5.3 10 speed concerned me. I always drove my 5.7 with a pedal commander because it felt slow and unresponsive stock. I was concerned the 355hp 5.3 would feel sluggish like my inlaws 2013 5.3 Sierra. But the 10 speed really makes all the difference. I don’t even feel the need for a PC for tge new truck. Yet. lol
I noticed on the window stickers of the new Silverados there is a a $50 credit for AFM/DFM delete due to the chip shortage. Your window sticker should show if it was deleted in yours.

I noticed on the window stickers of the new Silverados there is a a $50 credit for AFM/DFM delete due to the chip shortage. Your window sticker should show if it was deleted in yours.
I didn’t see anything about a credit, but I also don’t see anything describing the engine besides being a 5.3 with a 10 speed. Do the AFM/DFM trucks still have auto stop start?

Mine with a build date of 4/21 also doesn’t mention AFM and I don’t see a credit on the window sticker. My Tahoe would show when it was in 4 cyl mode. This LT Trailboss does not show that.

Mine with a build date of 4/21 also doesn’t mention AFM and I don’t see a credit on the window sticker. My Tahoe would show when it was in 4 cyl mode. This LT Trailboss does not show that.

Hmm, that’s what I thought. I’d love to figure out a way to determine if it has cylinder deactivation or not.

My window sticker shows
ENG: 5.3L ECOTECH3 V8 W/O AFM
Credit - NOT EQUIPPED WITH

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back