What's new

Engine Break-in ?

JDenham

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s a flip of a coin conversation. But did anyone “ break in “ the new engine ?

I tried the best I could. I know other people that never worry about it and have never had issues.

I don’t think modern mass produced engines require any “break in”.

This is for a 2020 Silverado. Didnt feel like going out to the truck and grabbing the 2021 owners manual.

New Vehicle Break-In Caution The vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines: . Keep the vehicle speed at 88 km/h (55 mph) or less for the first 805 km (500 mi). . Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 805 km (500 mi). Do not make full-throttle starts. Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle. . Avoid making hard stops for the first 322 km (200 mi) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings. . Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Trailer Towing 0 288 for the trailer towing capabilities of the vehicle and more information. Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased.

A break in is done from factory. I am still one of those people that thinks doing an oil change early is a cheap investment. I did my first oil change on my 6.2l at 500. Second at 4k. I will continue to do oil changes at 4-4.5k from now on. Oil changes on a vehicle that utilizes oil to control cylinder deactivation and control should be done far more often then the factory recommended 7.5k in my opinion. In the end its your vehicle and your choice but an oil change is cheaper then a cam/lifter replacement.

A break in is done from factory. I am still one of those people that thinks doing an oil change early is a cheap investment. I did my first oil change on my 6.2l at 500. Second at 4k. I will continue to do oil changes at 4-4.5k from now on. Oil changes on a vehicle that utilizes oil to control cylinder deactivation and control should be done far more often then the factory recommended 7.5k in my opinion. In the end its your vehicle and your choice but an oil change is cheaper then a cam/lifter replacement.
I like how you think. I’m the same way. I took it easy. No hard acceleration and redline till 1k miles. Did my first oil change at 600 miles. Next one due at 5k and on from there.

I subscribe to similar thoughts. I'm still under 200 miles on the clock. It gets babied - hasn't been over 3k on the tach, gentle off the line, all that stuff. At the 500 mile mark it'll get an oil/filter change and fluid level inspections. Then it'll be on the "twice a year" oil change plan (I usually put less than 5,000 miles on in a year as I have a company vehicle that I spend HOURS in a day).

I hammered my 6.2 to let the computer know we aint limping this thing along.

Added CAI and exhaust and she runs top shelf.

420 hp isn't meant to be babied.

I hammered my 6.2 to let the computer know we aint limping this thing along.

Added CAI and exhaust and she runs top shelf.

420 hp isn't meant to be babied.
That's the beauty of having your own vehicle. Do what suits you.

Most Reactions

Back