What's new

Exhaust options for minimal drone

Grey

Reaction score
I’ve read as many opinions as I could and watched all the YouTube videos I could find, but still need some guidance.

Seeking opinions from those with real world experience. Truck is a 6.2 2021 LT, stock except for s&b CAI. Looking to add an exhaust system for a little more growl. I’ve got a loud car and a loud bike, so I’m not interested in blowing out eardrums. This is the first “nice” car I’ve had ever, so I’m REALLY enjoying the ride in the cab.

If the consensus is that the system Im looking for doesn’t exist, then so be it, I’ll stick with stock. I want as little interior drone as possible with a little more aggressive tone outside the truck. The dual/dual black tips look phenomenal as well.

So far, the leader for me is the flowmaster American thunder system. Borla touring is second, but it’s double the price, and I’m not sure it’s double what I’m looking for. Can anyone share any insight on that particular system or something else that may fit the bill?

I did a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system then later deleted the muffler. It definitely has drone. But I saw several people on this forum mentioning that a stock system with muffler delete, and keeping the resonators near the tips in place, is the best combination for maintaining no drone while adding a good growl. Cheap enough to start off with, then maybe move on to a different system if you don't like it.

I have the Borla Touring. The hum from my Duratracs is far louder than the exhaust at cruising speeds
That’s what I’ve gathered from videos so far.

I want to know how the flowmaster sounds compared to that. If it’s close, then I’ll gladly save $1k and spend it on other projects

I installed a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. Its not overly loud and sounds great, but there is definitely some drone depending on the driving situation

I installed a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler. Its not overly loud and sounds great, but there is definitely some drone depending on the driving situation

Thanks for the heads up. That’s what I was looking for. Is there any chance you have a video in the cab at cruising speed?

Thanks for the heads up. That’s what I was looking for. Is there any chance you have a video in the cab at cruising speed?
Its saying the file is too large. Send me your email I can send it that way. I have 3 different videos. Cold start, inside the cab from a stop to about 40mph, and exterior of the truck, driving away.

Borla Touring is just right for my taste… you can here the sweet music of the 6.2 without it being obnoxious.

What I am leaning towards doing eventually is just cutting out the stock muffler and flappers and dropping in the Borla S Type Crate Muffler with a short section of pipe (leaving the resonators in place). From what I have seen with some ZR2 owners, that is a pretty good setup for a bit more heart at cold-start and when getting on it a bit, but otherwise not much more noise than stock at idle or cruising.

I’ve read as many opinions as I could and watched all the YouTube videos I could find, but still need some guidance.

Seeking opinions from those with real world experience. Truck is a 6.2 2021 LT, stock except for s&b CAI. Looking to add an exhaust system for a little more growl. I’ve got a loud car and a loud bike, so I’m not interested in blowing out eardrums. This is the first “nice” car I’ve had ever, so I’m REALLY enjoying the ride in the cab.

If the consensus is that the system Im looking for doesn’t exist, then so be it, I’ll stick with stock. I want as little interior drone as possible with a little more aggressive tone outside the truck. The dual/dual black tips look phenomenal as well.

So far, the leader for me is the flowmaster American thunder system. Borla touring is second, but it’s double the price, and I’m not sure it’s double what I’m looking for. Can anyone share any insight on that particular system or something else that may fit the bill?
I have the S&B CAI, locked the flapper valve open, waiting on the Stillen intake scoop and AFE Apollo GT Series muffler delete pipe. My resonators are untouched(so far). I have the 5.3 19 TB. After the flapper and CAI there is a mild growl accelerating

I removed the old muffler and replaced with the Flowmaster 53071 70 Series Muffler. It sounds good, without the drone. It is not too loud either. I too have the 6.2. I also ditched the loud Duratrac tires for the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's. Huge difference. Kept the stock size 18's.

I appreciate everyone's feedback so far.

I am going to try the AFE Apollo muffler replacement first. Just found that this morning while I was looking through AFE's website. Looks like it's the same principle as their muffler delete, just instead of a straight pipe, its got a muffler added on. Looks plug and play, so won't have to weld on anything like a universal muffler. For $150, its worth a shot.

Seems like the consensus is that anything that keeps the resonators intact will help, so I get to save some $$$ by not going with a full system and still keep those resonators. I'll figure out options for dual/dual exhaust tips later on down the road. If I hate this, I'll figure something else out.

2019 TB Custom. AFE Apollo GT Series muffler delete pipe,flapper wide open,S&B CAI,throttle body spacer,waiting on Stillen scoop. Sounds good, a hearty cold start (very noticeable from stock) and some thoatiness driving. Reminds me of my 85 Blazer. It also seems I am getting a little umph when stepped on. (I couldn't post a recorded cold start on here). If you do this delete I recommend you have at least a 9 inch saws-all blade, 6 inch will not reach to make a decent even cut on the flapper side. Very easy install (pipe). Feed it to the rear pipe then seat and secure the front end first as the rear can be pulled forward to secure.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.JPG
    IMG_0392.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    323.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    408.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 122
I put on a Flowmaster Super 44, which is slightly louder and deeper tone than the 40 series. There is definitely some drone while cruising from 45-65 mph. I am saving up for exhaust tips which should help with the drone slightly.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back