What's new

Experiencing excessive inner tire wear.

T_Warren

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’ve just turned over 36,000 miles and am experiencing inner tire wear. Overall across the tire looks good. But the inner fronts are warring heavily on ever other tread. I’ve rotated them around every 5k so at this point all 4 have this issue. At 30k I got an alignment but still feel that the issue is present. Any ideas? Trail boss factory suspension and tires. Also I keep the pressure that the maintenance techs put in at 40 lbs. Thanks y’all!

Can you show pics? I ask because you mention every other lug is wearing. That is very odd to happen due to being out of alignment. These tires have alternating lug size at the shoulder. One set of lugs might be softer than the other set though.

At 30k I got an alignment but still feel that the issue is present.
Did they give you a printout of the alignment specs, the TB calls for -0.1 deg. camber (non TB calls for -0.4 deg.)
No issues yet on my Ol’ lady’s TB but less than 1K on the OD, plan on doing 2 leveling kit and set the camber to 0.0 deg., that’s where I run my GMC and always have had perfect tire wear…

I am at 33,000 and have the same issue. I rotate every oil change, and noticed between one of my rotations the tire noise was more than usual. I noticed the wear at that time and dont expect these tires will make it past 40k if I am lucky.

Thank you for the replies. I do not have a spec sheet. And here is a pic. My worry is that my next tire will have the same issue. Notice the tread in the middle next to my hand. Worn heavily

Attachments

• 159F661C-3C63-4C63-870D-D96B674D3B35.jpeg
    159F661C-3C63-4C63-870D-D96B674D3B35.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 242
Thank you for the replies. I do not have a spec sheet. And here is a pic. My worry is that my next tire will have the same issue. Notice the tread in the middle next to my hand. Worn heavily
Once it's happened to that extent, it's going to be 'bout impossible to correct those tires. If your camber isn't visibly negative, then it looks like a little too much toe in, most likely.
Always get the before/after printout of an alignment. At least you can begin to understand what was wrong, what was corrected and what may still be not right.
If your alignment checks out and you're interested in putting a bunch more miles on those tires, I'd have them flipped outside>in on the rims. Then try to run them primarily in the direction that normal tread "feathering" or wear will take the high spots off. (This is opposite for front and rear wheels) If you haven't rotated them in a while, you'll feel very slight "feathering" of the sipes in the tread blocks. Normal competent tire rotations that take this into account and change rotation direction or stress on tires (drives vs steers) "can" help you get this wear pattern partly back in order. More importantly, you won't be making it worse.

Or buy new tires...
FWIW, the half dozen TBs we have here (company trucks) ALL are very easy on tires, even the Duratracs which generally need attention like any other mudder. I keep up with my rotations, but I know a couple of the managers do not and the relatively even wear with aggressive tires speaks to how well these trucks "generally" are aligned.

Reactions: Baz
Hello everyone. I’ve just turned over 36,000 miles and am experiencing inner tire wear. Overall across the tire looks good. But the inner fronts are warring heavily on ever other tread. I’ve rotated them around every 5k so at this point all 4 have this issue. At 30k I got an alignment but still feel that the issue is present. Any ideas? Trail boss factory suspension and tires. Also I keep the pressure that the maintenance techs put in at 40 lbs. Thanks y’all!
Hi T_Warren
I’m having the same problem at 35000 miles you show here on all four tires because as you mentioned, I have rotated the tires for five times also. The mechanic I normally take my vehicles to said it was a suspension problem. I’m still under the warranty so I took it in to the dealership and I explain to them what the mechanic said. The dealership said the alignment was fine, and they shook down the front end and found nothing. The dealership is blaming it on the tires. He said those tires were funny.

Did you ever get a final resolution to your uneven tire wear?

I have the same wear on my O.G Duratracs. I now have 71k miles on them. Still have about 10k left before I hit the wear bar. I’ve been rotating them every oil change 6k give or take. I haven’t had an alignment since I bought it in 19’.

I have had several trucks over the years and have had that problem a couple of times on a front tire at around 30-35k , it ended up being a strut issue. The roads around here are horrible. I usually replace my shocks/struts now around 30k regardless and that seems to help. I do the normal 4k tire rotation, balance and air pressure routine.

Most Reactions

Back