What's new

Flares separating from fenders😬

Jmzvet

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s been almost a year since I installed my AirDesign fender flares. Been very happy with them until today. Noticed 3 of 4 are pulling away from the fender. An 1/8in gap currently but will get worse.
The only cure I believe will work is to remove them, scrape off the old 3M tape and adhesive, apply new 3M and adhesive, then reinstall.
It doesn’t rain much here and I rarely wash my truck with soap/water and its never been to a car wash.
Maybe when I reinstall I’ll run a very thin bead of black silicone on the edge to keep out dirt and water?
705D5E70-6542-489F-92DC-766F8EF2A1A6.jpeg
126C4F12-65DE-42BD-BC34-15CD21A8E0C8.jpeg

I saw somewhere else to use clear silicone for windshields. I'm hoping my Rough Country SF1 flares don't do this. They don't have any tape holding them at the top, only screws on the fender lip. It needs to warm up so I can clean everything up before putting them on as well as put a strip of paint protection tape where they will touch the paint so it doesn't leave rub marks.

I saw somewhere else to use clear silicone for windshields. I'm hoping my Rough Country SF1 flares don't do this. They don't have any tape holding them at the top, only screws on the fender lip. It needs to warm up so I can clean everything up before putting them on as well as put a strip of paint protection tape where they will touch the paint so it doesn't leave rub marks.
You won’t have any problems if they are screwed on.
I’m going to contact AirDesign and see if they have suggestions.

Those don't use any wheel well screws to mount? All of the kits I have seen have slide on U clips that go over the fender well edge and then screws to hold the flare in place.

The AirDesign are only 3M tape and adhesive glue.

Wow...that's a lot of money for something held on with duct tape and chewing gum! I was somewhat considering those because they are the only ones that allow for the factory mud flaps except for the rear. I was wondering how hard it would be to modify them to fit around them. It doesn't matter now though, I decided they weren't wide enough and went with Rough Country SF1 flares.

Ugh. Making me reconsider them now!

I saw a used 21 on a lot yesterday…evidently they had removed some larger flares that had been previously installed. There was an obvious line(s) where they had been. Very visible on a black truck. Still wanted $59k for it. NO WAY I could ever have it in my stable.

Man that sucks. I am sure the company will have some advice.. I might have to reconsider these in the future.. they might not make in the hot Alabama summers

The new ZR2 has similar looking flares.
I wonder how they are attached?

I wonder if they somehow use clips with it as well as adhesive. Could be a one piece flare and flap that uses the holes for the mud flaps

Jmzvet, I've got a set sitting in my shop yet to be installed. Think I'll hold off a little longer and see how this turns out for you. Hopefully Air Design can and will give you a reason and also a fix for the problem your having. I would hate to install mine and have this happen down the road!!! I'm in SW Louisiana where it rains about every third day and also in the woods hunting with mine all winter long. Mine gets a soapy bath at least once a week! So if water has something to do with them starting to separate, then I'm gonna be in trouble. Please keep us posted!!!!

It’s been almost a year since I installed my AirDesign fender flares. Been very happy with them until today. Noticed 3 of 4 are pulling away from the fender. An 1/8in gap currently but will get worse.
The only cure I believe will work is to remove them, scrape off the old 3M tape and adhesive, apply new 3M and adhesive, then reinstall.
It doesn’t rain much here and I rarely wash my truck with soap/water and its never been to a car wash.
Maybe when I reinstall I’ll run a very thin bead of black silicone on the edge to keep out dirt and water?View attachment 2880View attachment 2881
it looks like its having an adhesion problem between the flare and the 3m trim tape.... If so the problem might be the plastic had a finish or release agent on it which requires to be wiped down with alcohol or ? it looks like it stuck very well to the paint job...
FYI 3 M make a spray adhesive remover that will help greatly.... would be interesting to see the "glue side" of the flare.... I like the Idea... not to have to drill holes is big..most auto shops carry the 3M HD trim tape go as wide as you can and a continuous length after wiping down the glue side of the flare... maybe the MFG screwed up on that set and didn't prep the flare properly ?

The 3M tape is still stuck to the plastic. It lost adhesion to the metal fender.
I sent the info to AirDesign a few hours ago. They are headquartered about 45min from my house. I’ll drive up there if I have to.

The 3M tape is still stuck to the plastic. It lost adhesion to the metal fender.
I sent the info to AirDesign a few hours ago. They are headquartered about 45min from my house. I’ll drive up there if I have to.
wow, I would have bet against that.... they will probably tell you that the surface was not prepped properly.. wax or what ever... walking in there is good, If they are good people they will give you new .... I'm interested in the outcome as well... they are nice flares and look good on your rig..

Most Reactions

Back