What's new

Hello and Help

Oddfellow

Reaction score
Glad to join the forum, and hopefully very soon, join the community of Trail Boss ownership. I hate to do introductions with questions, but I have some.
I do not know if this is in the correct area, so forgive me if it is not. I thought I could manage with a midsize truck, but after not having one, I realize that I really need a full-size. I am currently looking at a new 2023 Custom Trail Boss. I really like the truck, but I have a few concerns. I currently own a 2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road with the six speed manual. My truck has the premium package which includes leather. I also have the LED headlight package. My truck also has BSM and adaptive cruise control. My question is, has anyone else made a swap like this? Will I regret getting rid of the adaptive cruise control and LED headlights? My main concern is the halogen headlights on the Custom Trail Boss. Are they decent, or will I regret going back to the halogen headlights? Thanks for any help in advance.

Just depends how much you use/enjoy the features of the Tacoma that you’ll be giving up. Mainly highway driver who likes adaptive cruise control? Probably gonna miss it. Turn it off every time you get in or don’t drive highway much to even use it? Don’t worry about it. I feel like the halogen bulbs aren’t a worry, most switch to Lasfit leds anyway.

Is the Trail Boss LT out of your price range? It has led headlamps. I believe adaptive cruise is also available on the 2023 LT.
Not really out of my price range. I just do not want to spend that much on a truck.

Just depends how much you use/enjoy the features of the Tacoma that you’ll be giving up. Mainly highway driver who likes adaptive cruise control? Probably gonna miss it. Turn it off every time you get in or don’t drive highway much to even use it? Don’t worry about it. I feel like the halogen bulbs aren’t a worry, most switch to Lasfit leds anyway.
The adaptive cruise control I can really live with or without. My biggest concern was the halogen headlights. I was wondering if they are adequate, or do they leave something to be desired. Thanks for the comments from everybody.

The adaptive cruise control I can really live with or without. My biggest concern was the halogen headlights. I was wondering if they are adequate, or do they leave something to be desired. Thanks for the comments from everybody.
If you are used to LED I feel like the halogen will leave you wanting more. If everything else meets your needs I feel like switching the bulbs is an easy enough fix.

Unfortunately the 22 refresh on the Custom changed the headlights and there are no aftermarket replacements. I don't know how the refresh headlights fare in terms of light output. I bought a 21 Custom and replaced the bulbs with LEDs which were a big improvement. Then I found and bought a pair of aftermarket headlights that have high and low beam projectors and put LED bulbs in those. I personally HATE halogens after running HID's and LEDs for years and getting used to the 6000K light spectrum they put out.

I could not got back to halogens after having having LED.. I’m sure Lastfit or someone else will have led bulbs soon for the new style… Cruise I could live without, but choose not too…

I am spoiled by LED. My wife’s Jeep compass has them and the LT I just bought has them. I didn’t think it was that big a deal, but I recently switched to driving my old 2000 Z28 after I sold my Jeep TJ and my truck hadn’t arrived yet.

It was like I was driving with an iPhone flashlight. Totally unusable. I bought a kit from lasfit THAT NIGHT for hi and lo beams, turn signals and side markers. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to halogen.

I would say just get the custom and buy some replacement bulbs, but I saw someone say earlier that they don’t yet exist. I’m sure they eventually will, but LED’s are now on my “must have” list for a vehicle.

I got the adaptive cruise control for the 2023 LT trailboss diesel, I think it was an 500$ upgrade if memory from last August serves me, although I havent used it yet as I am 500 miles on the odometer. I strongly suggest test driving a diesel with phenomenal fuel mileage, if your lucky enough to find one, I got 25 mpg in a sidewind/head wind on my first 150 mile trip home in cold weather and on summer diesel I am hoping for 29 mpg next time I make the trip. One thing to note and you’ve probably already noticed is the trailboss is a lot taller than your trd. I did not get the multi flex tail gate and almost wish I did I can barely reach a gallon of milk over the side of the bed and I am 6’2”.
Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. Still weighing out the pluses and minuses. Really wanting to stay with the Custom Trail Boss trim. I love the Tacoma TRD Off Road, but I am needing a full size and want to stay with something off road oriented.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back