What's new

Hidden 12v Power For Dash Cam

Baz

Reaction score
There was a hidden unused 12v power supply plug glued inside the headliner of my LT Trail Boss. I removed the roof console and it was sitting right there (circled in the photo below). I used a wire tap harness from Invisicord to tap into the purple/white wire for power and the black/white wire for ground. It makes for a nice clean dash cam install. Hope this helps someone.

770F4A23-A283-4C6A-8F9F-A6F427FAE361.jpeg

1FF2F7A9-B4A7-4A5A-916D-4C8DFA1D9C9B.jpeg
FAB45EDC-C908-4EB2-9642-18CC1AAB446C.jpeg
E3CE2A19-DFE7-4365-A1A5-B8E9FD52AB99.jpeg

I just have the basic rear view mirror which is why that plug was tucked away and glued inside the headliner. If you have the upgraded rear view mirror then the same plug is actually going to be in use just under the mirror cover itself.

Nice! Yeah I believe the plug is for the camera. I plan on using that to mount my radar detector. You saved me testing wires, thanks! How was that console to remove?

Use a plastic pry tool to remove the two L-shaped trim pieces (around the dome lights) uncovering two torx screws underneath. Remove the torx screws and pull the console down and it’ll pop free from the retaining clips.

Use a plastic pry tool to remove the two L-shaped trim pieces (around the dome lights) uncovering two torx screws underneath. Remove the torx screws and pull the console down and it’ll pop free from the retaining clips.
Thanks!

is it switched? Or full time hot?

Just getting around to doing this upgrade. Putting the wireless charging on hold for now. So, this wiretap harness, are you just jamming wires into the current harness? I went on Invisacords website looking for what you used. However, I couldn't figure that site out. Anyway, I have a big connector that is free. Do you know what that is used for?

20210218_164354147_iOS.jpg

20210218_164401083_iOS.jpg

I found it - http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58

I don’t know exactly what those plugs are for. What I did was use the invisicord wiring harness with the micro pins. The pins slide into the back of the plug where the wires are going in. Just stick the pin in where the correct wire is that you want to use. There’s no need to splice or take apart the plug. I hope that helps.

Here is the link to what I’m talking about. Just be sure to select the micro pin size.

Just getting around to doing this upgrade. Putting the wireless charging on hold for now. So, this wiretap harness, are you just jamming wires into the current harness? I went on Invisacords website looking for what you used. However, I couldn't figure that site out. Anyway, I have a big connector that is free. Do you know what that is used for?

View attachment 584

View attachment 585

I found it - http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58
The plug is used for the automatic rear view mirror.

Most Reactions

Back