What's new

Hidden Winch

It looks great. BUT......how functional is it? Winches require maintenance and care. Cables and synthetic line can bind and must be wrapped properly. Once you have encased a winch behind all that metal what does it take to get your hands and eyes on the winch?
🤦

That is sort of a valid point...is there access to the free spool lever too? Don't get me wrong I really like the concept but if you can't get to the winch it might not be very practical for frequent use.

It is a hidden winch. It comes with compromises. You have to use a remote switch and will have to remove a bit more bolts to gain access for maintenance/repairs. It is up to each person to decide if this is the right type for them. There are plenty of Bubba Gump looking bumpers to choose from for those that don't like a hidden option.

Yes it just replaces the plastic portion of the factory bumper with metal hidden winch mount/bumper… I’ll post a pic once I get it installed…
Ive been looking at this one for a month now so really looking forward to your opinion on the install and function.
What brand winch are you going to use?

It is a hidden winch. It comes with compromises. You have to use a remote switch and will have to remove a bit more bolts to gain access for maintenance/repairs. It is up to each person to decide if this is the right type for them. There are plenty of Bubba Gump looking bumpers to choose from for those that don't like a hidden option.
Agreed...I am not a fan of the "Bubba Gump" look either. We just don't have a lot of in between for our trucks. Waiting to see how it turns out too.

A winch is a high maintenance tool. Especially if it gets used. They can and do bind during recovery processes. What are you going to do then? Drop half your front end in the middle of a bog? This design is 100% for the aesthetics and not for practical use. I don't understand why they did not at least put some kind of access plate on it? Then it could work. I am not going to encase a winch behind a friging bumper that must be removed for basic use, care, and maintenance. Each to their own, it will look bad ass until you need to use it or care for it.

Last edited:
It takes 6 bolts and any lighting and/or parking assist sensor connecters to remove the front facia and gain access. Looks like it can be done from the front without having to see the bolts. Wrench, socket or cordless impact all have access to the bolt heads.

rc hid win bolts.JPG

Remove the three bolts that the arrows are pointing too on each side of the truck for a total of six.

rc hid win no bump.JPG

A winch is a high maintenance tool. Especially if it gets used. They can and do bind during recovery processes. What are you going to do then? Drop half your front end in the middle of a bog? This design is 100% for the aesthetics and not for practical use. I don't understand why they did not at least put some kind of access plate on it? Then it could work. I am not going to encase a winch behind a friging bumper that must be removed for basic use, care, and maintenance. Each to their own, it will look bad ass until you need to use it or care for it.

I have zero experience with owning a winch so let me ask you a couple questions. How often are you using a winch during your off roading adventures? Is it every adventure, one of five etc? What is the failure rate of a winch system? Is it every use, every other use, once out of ten uses etc? I understand a failure can happen at any time but you are making it out to look like it is going to fail every single time you use it.

Have you added a winch setup? You do a lot of off roading. Have you had times you could have used a winch?

Last edited:
Winches have to be properly maintained. The cable or synthetic cable must be wound properly with adequate tension. You need to be able to see the spool (in my opinion) to make sure this is done properly. It’s also VERY handy to be able to access the free spool level to pull line out…

It’s not about “failure”. It’s about proper usage. That setup might could be great with some access. Like I said I like the look, just questioning the functionality.

Winches have to be properly maintained. The cable or synthetic cable must be wound properly with adequate tension. You need to be able to see the spool (in my opinion) to make sure this is done properly. It’s also VERY handy to be able to access the free spool level to pull line out…

It’s not about “failure”. It’s about proper usage. That setup might could be great with some access. Like I said I like the look, just questioning the functionality.
This is correct. And there is more to it. Yes, I have been involved in winch recoveries many times. I don't want to sound snarky, but this is my 5th 4wd vehicle. I push them all hard. I have had my TB for 12 months and 10,000 miles. Over 1000 miles is off road. It is my passion. I have a lifetime of experience from southwestern deserts to the Rocky Mountians. In this video from a previous post you can see my Trail Boss off road.

Kind Regards,

Steve

What is the failure rate or rate of needing access? Especially when on trail? What is the rate of needing the winch to recover in the first place? I do see the access to the free spool lever as something that would make it better. Your only option here is to use the remote to let out line.

You both brought up good points against it. I am trying to gather data points that can help to determine if the trade-offs are worth it.

I asked for a lot more things that just failure rate but you seem not willing to answer/talk to any of them? Why? Have you actually not needed a winch in all the off roading you do? It does not look like you have added a winch to your current truck, why not? If you had winches on your previous trucks, how often did you need them for a recovery? How often did you need access to the winch other than the free spool lever? You have knowledge here that I do not have so please educate me.

It takes 6 bolts to get access to it so at home this is a non issue. On the trail there is a chance that it could be not possible to access the bolts depending on the situation and that would suck bad. How often is what will make or break the kind of setup.

You both brought up good points against it. I am trying to gather data points that can help to determine if the trade-offs are worth it.

I asked for a lot more things that just failure rate but you seem not willing to answer/talk to any of them? Why? Have you actually not needed a winch in all the off roading you do? It does not look like you have added a winch to your current truck, why not? If you had winches on your previous trucks, how often did you need them for a recovery? How often did you need access to the winch other than the free spool lever? You have knowledge here that I do not have so please educate me.

It takes 6 bolts to get access to it so at home this is a non issue. On the trail there is a chance that it could be not possible to access the bolts depending on the situation and that would suck bad. How often is what will make or break the kind of setup.

Need: Not always, no. That being said have you ever changed a flat tire without a jack and wrenches? Those are things that are needed when that issue arises. Same with a winch. You don't need it until you get stuck...then, unless there is another vehicle there to pull you out you are kinda screwed. It's common sense.

Have: Currently no, I don't off road my TB much at the moment. Other vehicles, yes. I work during the summer in an environment where a winch is a must. Both on my work truck and my Kawasaki Mule FXT. I have been in situations with those vehicles where I got stuck...not because I'm careless or not experienced, but because stuff happens. I have had to pull most of the line off the spool to reach a hitch point. Sure, I could have reversed the winch but that can be bothersome. Easier to free spool. I can say that the cable is harder to re-wind in a even manner across the spool on the Mule. I always re-wind it with tension after a recovery to make sure it's laying right and not kinking itself. That's important with a cable, synthetic not as much but still important. If the cable or synthetic breaks or gets in a bind on the spool, on the trail, there is no easy access for it. That's the drawback. There is no way to say when or where that could happen. Expect the best, be prepared for the worst.

Bottom line is do what you want to do. I love the look but question the functionality.

Ive been looking at this one for a month now so really looking forward to your opinion on the install and function.
What brand winch are you going to use?
Have the extension under the hood to attach the remote .. will take a pic tomorrow and post ..rough country 12K winch :

Attachments

• 9C0431AD-908D-419E-A4E5-44DED91811EE.jpeg
    9C0431AD-908D-419E-A4E5-44DED91811EE.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 206
  • DA743B69-5AD2-4D67-8C24-F39C87C4BAAC.jpeg
    DA743B69-5AD2-4D67-8C24-F39C87C4BAAC.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 190
  • A2D5954F-10E8-4886-8AF5-9F7D3DB8F1EB.png
    A2D5954F-10E8-4886-8AF5-9F7D3DB8F1EB.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • F9A52109-0A84-4EAF-9263-17FE14B5A2A1.png
    F9A52109-0A84-4EAF-9263-17FE14B5A2A1.png