What's new

Hood scoop / paint damage

Same damage on mine. Id be willing to completely swap hoods to a non "insert" hood to be honest. It serves no functional purpose besides currently causing damage and glare, and obstructs vision.

Yeah I found out about the glare issue this weekend. The sun caught the backside of the hood scoop which caused quite a glare for my passenger and myself. They really should have made at least this section with anti glare properties. Not sure of the best / easiest way to remedy this.

Yeah I found out about the glare issue this weekend. The sun caught the backside of the hood scoop which caused quite a glare for my passenger and myself. They really should have made at least this section with anti glare properties. Not sure of the best / easiest way to remedy this.
Some matte black vinyl should solve the glare on that area.

Not sure why GM doesn’t have a fix for the hood scoop issue yet, seems like a simple solution of a thin rubber gasket would address it easily.

Can you send some pics of the bottom of the "scoop"? That might address some of the issues.

talked to my service manager @ Fairfield Chevy in PA. He told me to stop by and he would take pictures and get me scheduled to have the hood repainted. Hopefully itll include some fix so it doesnt happen again.

talked to my service manager @ Fairfield Chevy in PA. He told me to stop by and he would take pictures and get me scheduled to have the hood repainted. Hopefully itll include some fix so it doesnt happen again.
Im not in your situation and haven’t seen the paint damage except in photos but not sure I’d want my entire hood repainted to touch up 1-2 very small spots.
The respray most likely will not be as good as the factory robot job.
Can you see the scraped paint while driving or only when you are looking for it?
I would ask what they charge for a hood respray (guessing $500) and take it in GM points then wait for an official fix. Then I would touch it up and move on👍
Of course this is coming from a guy who is ditching the stock hood and going aftermarket 😝.

A temporary fix you can do yourself is to remove the scoop and lay a layer of clear paint protection film down where the scoop touches the paint to absorb vibration which is causing the paint to chip in the first place. I put fender flares on my truck and laid down a stripe of protective film to prevent the flares from rubbing the paint even though they have a rubber edging where they touch the truck.

Got scoop back from painter-nice satin black. It is pretty apparent what causes the paint issue-inadequate and very poorly installed hood seal. Note the sloppy install. The square pads are not in the position needed to touch the hood. One of mine is even missing. Very poor design.
IMG_3694.jpeg

Looks nice. The paint work. Not the poorly attached bumpers👎

It needs an actual full rubber gasket around it and not a few foam pads that sort of stick in a few places!

That paint looks great. I strongly agree with you on the poor design. It amazes me that a vehicle built today at the cost we have to spend is manufactured like that. Anxious to see what GM is going to do. Winter is just around the corner here in Michigan and the salt spread on the roads will start eating through that bare metal (where there is no paint anymore) in days. Very disappointing.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back