What's new

I need a roof rack to transport a kayak, any recommendations? Thanks

American Trucks is one of many places to acquire goodies for your truck. This link is a page there which includes Bed Racks made to fit our Trail Boss trucks.

Most Tonneau bed covers, like my TruXport, unfortunately cover some or all of the Stake Slots that may be required for a rack.

American Trucks is one of many places to acquire goodies for your truck. This link is a page there which includes Bed Racks made to fit our Trail Boss trucks.

Most Tonneau bed covers, like my TruXport, unfortunately cover some or all of the Stake Slots that may be required for a rack.

Depends on your budget and ultimate goals. For example I want a rack but don’t want to lose the ability to use a bed cover for long overnight trips. I went with a retraxpro xr cover, this like the the other poster commented takes the bed pocket stakes away but it has a slot system in the rails to allow for racks or other systems compatible with it. Still have security for the bed and any cargo along with a rack of my choosing. My ultimate plan is for a roof top tent above the bed. But the system could be used with different types of racks. If you are just looking for a rack with no cargo cover then a Yakima or similar rack system for the bed with adapters is the way to go.

If you’re looking to move kayaks then a bed rack would suit your needs more, & there’s quite a few more options available. I’ve searched far & wide for a roof rack for the new body style & the only thing I’ve found is by KC. Looks great, follows the contours of the roof, but I’m not sure that it’d be great for kayaks, & at ~$2500....woof. As far as bed racks go I am going to go with a 12” by RCI. With the tonneau adapters it’s less than a grand, effectively raises the rack to 15” so you have minimal, if any, rear view obstruction, & includes side panels that you can mount various things to. I definitely like most of the other bed racks available, but all of the above at the price point is what sold me.

If money isn’t a concern, check out the smart tops by RSI. Beautiful & functional, but holy hell I can’t justify 4K+ on something when I’m already about to dive into a 3k roof top tent.

Depends on your budget and ultimate goals. For example I want a rack but don’t want to lose the ability to use a bed cover for long overnight trips. I went with a retraxpro xr cover, this like the the other poster commented takes the bed pocket stakes away but it has a slot system in the rails to allow for racks or other systems compatible with it. Still have security for the bed and any cargo along with a rack of my choosing. My ultimate plan is for a roof top tent above the bed. But the system could be used with different types of racks. If you are just looking for a rack with no cargo cover then a Yakima or similar rack system for the bed with adapters is the way to go.
Thanks for the advice. I need to to transport a kayak when pulling a camper. When not I will slide kayak in bed of truck

Thanks for the advice. I need to to transport a kayak when pulling a camper. When not I will slide kayak in bed of truck
Great choice on the cover. I need to roof rack when pulling a camper. I‘m thinking of just the roof bar I can remove when not using it. Thanks for the advice.

I run this cover and Yakima overhaul and it works out really well! Not sure if you’re still in the market, but I found it to be a great combination.

Most Reactions

Back