What's new

Lift float

I'd suggest it's either a veteran thing or a blue truck thing, but I qualify under both criteria and will argue neither describe me. I've blocked out the 30th & 31st to install my RL 2" kit. I hopefully won't need both days, but I'm deliberate (notice I didn't say "old" or "slow"). I'll check to see if I experience lift float.
Punch the gas pedal down and see if it feels like your axle is moving

Why wouldn't this be part of the lift kit if this is an issue?
this is severely aggravated with an increase on torque. obviously, diesels are way more prone to this. BUT, my dodge/cummins trucks run deaver rear leafs and this is not an issue. can i feel it happening, yes, but it is not exaggerated to the point that it bothers me.

i will beat down on my 6.2 (stock leafs) and see if i can notice it.

So, I’m driving in the freeway about 65-70 and switch lanes and it felt like movement from driver side to passenger side in the rear axle area… real quick. It was pretty nerve racking…still has the slight “float “ and drives fine off the freeway…. Going to take to another place to get ideas how to get rid of “float “ and that scary jolt

Drive through that same area and see if it does it again.
Theres a 50 yard stretch of freeway I drive on frequently and every time I drive on it, the rear end of the vehicle Im driving feels real loose and squirmy, if that makes any sense. It must be graded/sloped weird or something😬

there could be a resurface issue...St. Louis has a few places with 'TEST PAVEMENT" signs...small linear groove sin the surface...ALL tire brands start singing and get squirmy

i will also ad, my last alignment did show a fairly aggressive thrust angle on the right rear. MY truck was turning left fairly aggressively.

i have a good bit of cross castor dialed into the front to keep it driving straight

Last edited:
How do you get a thrust angle on one side rear of a solid axle leaf sprung truck?

my guess, would be tolerances and placement of the leaf alignment pins. we loosened the u-bolts and reset everything. most of it walked itself out during the tightening. if i recall correctly, it was .27 degrees.

i want to say the front is at +3.9 L and +4.4 maybe +4.7 R. it drives straight as an arrow now. i want to mention i feel some maybe the notorious TOYO Left pull...but that is more common to me in solid axle front ends...not IFS

it started a left pull the second i installed the toyo RT...the At3's did not do it.

IMG_2325.jpeg

Now, I have another lift place advising to remove the after market lift AND the manufacturers lift and replace with a NEW 4inch lift and will have to replace wheels with a negative 12🤔. Costing an additional $3800!!!. I think I’m just gonna deal with it for now!

Marketing genius by GM to get people (me) to pay a few thousand dollars for $100 in parts that turn regular a Silverado 4wd into a TrailBoss.

Now, I have another lift place advising to remove the after market lift AND the manufacturers lift and replace with a NEW 4inch lift and will have to replace wheels with a negative 12🤔. Costing an additional $3800!!!. I think I’m just gonna deal with it for now!
Have you gone back through and tightened or inspected everything ? Other than a mindset, there should not be anything out of the norm happening.

Maybe a better explinantion of the float feel is in order.

When turning you say the rear feels loose....what size tire / brand / wheel and brand, if aftermarket wheel...do you have hub centric rings....

Make a solid list itemized of every mod.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back