What's new

Long Distance in my Trail Boss

Trail Brian

Reaction score
Left Seattle October 1st and headed to the Baja, Mulege to be exact....just got back yesterday... 8074 miles.... best mileage was 27 MPG... averaged 23.2 MPG last two days heading North.... longest distance on a tank was 470 miles. same... light load two adults.... ran 41 PSI in stock tires, I run premium fuel always... changed oil down there with Mobil 0W20 ..... I now have 16669 miles total ... I ran the truck on twisty roads in full drift in Auto and ran down potholes and washboard at 50 to 70 MPH same way.... truck ran flawlessly... only issue was my rear park sensor shut off a couple times for no apparent reason... and the rear shocks get squirrely on washboard at higher speeds till I went into auto or 4 high.... I might be expecting too much..
2021 LT with 6.2........ I really love this truck.... I'm lifting it 6 inches with 35 x 12's and heading back in two months.... found I needed more clearance and hopefully a smoother ride....hoping this will make some new owners feel more at ease.....

Sounds like an awesome trip👍
Very surprised at the fuel mileage you got from the 6.2 in those conditions but you were there and I wasn’t. I can’t get close to that on the freeway with my 5.3😬

That is great fuel economy for sure. I have made several shorter trips from Minneapolis to NW Arkansas and southern Oklamhoma and the best I was able to get was in the 19s. I got my best MPGs during the summer, and ran close to 75 mph for the most part.

this was the last part of the trip, perfectly flat, no wind …. no hills and cruise set at 60 or 65 …. quick calculations at the pump confirmed the computer …. normal driving up the hwy for 20 or 25 miles on a normal day I see around 21 to 22 or daily average of 14 to 15 ….. heading down I saw 24.2 the very best

Sounds like an awesome trip👍
Very surprised at the fuel mileage you got from the 6.2 in those conditions but you were there and I wasn’t. I can’t get close to that on the freeway with my 5.3😬
my 5.3 in my Tahoe I saw 27.6 mpg same area …..6 speed in that one …. that was the very best and saw that once

this was the last part of the trip, perfectly flat, no wind …. no hills and cruise set at 60 or 65 …. quick calculations at the pump confirmed the computer …. normal driving up the hwy for 20 or 25 miles on a normal day I see around 21 to 22 or daily average of 14 to 15 ….. heading down I saw 24.2 the very best
I just can’t do 60 with the 6.2 for that long! Ha ha

Just got my TB w/ 6.2L and no DFM. Drove 92 miles each way across state, mainly flat with light up/down hill gradient. Averaged 22.7MPG at 60MPH.

EDIT: After digging, I DO have DFM. Crazy, I can't tell when it's in use.

20220206_171813.jpg

Should improve with K&N filter/elbow kit and tonneau cover. Going to try for 23MPG or better. My 2016 Canyon All Terrain best MPG was got 27.2 on the 3.6L w/ 6 speed trans. So I'm actually pretty surprised on a Full Size, Half Ton truck that's gotn4x4 capabilities to be getting anything over 20MPG with a large displacement engine.

Last edited:
Just got my TB w/ 6.2L and no DFM. Drove 92 miles each way across state, mainly flat with light up/down hill gradient. Averaged 22.7MPG at 60MPH.

Should improve with K&N filter/elbow kit and tonneau cover. Going to try for 23MPG or better. My 2016 Canyon All Terrain best MPG was got 27.2 on the 3.6L w/ 6 speed trans. So I'm actually pretty surprised on a Full Size, Half Ton truck that's gotn4x4 capabilities to be getting anything over 20MPG with a large displacement engine.
normal short hauls I get about the same milage …. the longer the time on the road and driving specifically to get good fuel economy is the key
E079DD6F-EAAB-4BE5-A241-DA5280AF7BF9.jpeg

That's impressive. My 6.2 makes it really hard to "drive for good fuel economy" !!! Speed kills mileage

Factory without DFM, or it has been disabled?
It doesn't have any mention about having DFM. It's got the start/stop, but none of the paperwork says DFM is active, and I don't notice anything when I've got the cruise set on the highway.

Interesting, I'm waiting on my 2022 LTD with the 5.3 and have already purchased a Pulsar unit, now I'm second guessing that decision.

Interesting, I'm waiting on my 2022 LTD with the 5.3 and have already purchased a Pulsar unit, now I'm second guessing that decision.
Keep in mind, I was doing 60MPH for 90 Miles to achieve that 22.7MPG. That's through some flat land, light gradients and some fair hills. I'm sure if I went from my place to my in-laws lake house, I'd probably get slightly better due to a more flat terrain.

EDIT: Also, I have the factory 18" wheels that are nitrogen filled.

EDIT 2: I was just at the dealership, they confirmed that I DO have DFM.

Last edited:
Get the pulsar…there will be times that you want the DFM off. (I know this to be true). Works great either way.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back