What's new

Looking for an overland rack

Reaction score
What are you guys using for a rack? I know I can’t use an actual overland rack as I’ve got a hard folding cover, so I’m looking for something that I can attach to the stale pockets. Also has to be able to accommodate opening the cover and be adjustable in height. I want to put a rhino rack platform on it. I’ve been looking at Thule as they appear to have a track system that goes in the pockets but I’m not finding anything that will allow me to flip my cover up. I don’t want just a plain old ladder rack as I don’t like how high they sit. Any suggestions are more than welcome. I didn’t think my cover over thoroughly when I bought the truck and selling it now isn’t really an option.

I’ve got the Putco Venture-Tec rack with Bakflip X4s rolling cover… love this set up.
B94A9D28-42CF-4A83-9DEA-995D305BF356.jpeg
EDDF7B02-00A4-4BDF-8370-6711A19AD449.jpeg
A748FBAE-7D0F-447B-A751-9A1F1ABBB867.jpeg
83D9407F-4BC5-4E20-9080-1BE5A60CEF28.jpeg
79907EF9-66B9-4233-ACD7-F27BC84E89C2.jpeg
0994AD50-58EB-444D-9210-34FDE022E763.jpeg

I have an RCI, they have standoffs you can buy with the rack for tonneau covers. I made my own stake pocket mounts out of extruded aluminum. I like the slots on the rack, I can add bike racks or RTT or Kayak mounts in minutes or anything else, just takes a couple of carriage bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_082430417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210712_082430417_HDR.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Baz
What are you guys using for a rack? I know I can’t use an actual overland rack as I’ve got a hard folding cover, so I’m looking for something that I can attach to the stale pockets. Also has to be able to accommodate opening the cover and be adjustable in height. I want to put a rhino rack platform on it. I’ve been looking at Thule as they appear to have a track system that goes in the pockets but I’m not finding anything that will allow me to flip my cover up. I don’t want just a plain old ladder rack as I don’t like how high they sit. Any suggestions are more than welcome. I didn’t think my cover over thoroughly when I bought the truck and selling it now isn’t really an option.
Yakima Overhaul HDs. Love them!

Attachments

• 14A6B57B-07C4-4609-BB1F-EA300AA9AF99.jpeg
    14A6B57B-07C4-4609-BB1F-EA300AA9AF99.jpeg
    561.4 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Baz
@Baz
I was admiring you truck with the putco rack. Love the pictures.
Would you mind answering a few questions:
1.) Are you still liking it?
2.) Does it stick out past the cab at all?
3.) Do you think it would block a rear facing dash cam that it at the top of the rear window?

I am currently trying to decide on getting it or not, but want to make sure it will work and I won't have regrets as I am having a hard time finding information.

Thanks

Baz - thanks for the information you sent to me directly.
If anyone else is interested.
The rack does stick out from the lines of the truck but only a slight bit above the bed rails.
The top of the rack falls just below the third brake light and roof spoiler.

I'm still on the fence so I pulled the rack off of Baz picture (thanks again Baz) and stuck it on mine. Let me know what you think.
TrailBoss Side View2.jpg

Last edited:
The rack does stick out from the lines of the truck but only a slight bit above the bed rails.

I'm still on the fence so I pulled the rack off of Baz picture (thanks again Baz) and stuck it on mine. Let me know what you think.
View attachment 2898
The Putco is the rack I've seen that I like the most if I add one to my Trail Boss.

There are others that are for the Gladiator and I've considered reaching out to one of them to see if they'd customize for a Silverado. I'd really like to get a Trailrax with their gullwing molle panels if they'd customize.

Ordered from Chevrolet as they currently have 20% off until 4/4/2022 which pushed me over the edge.
It comes with the cross rails and 36" light.

"Receive 20% below MSRP on accessories within the Bed Products category. Allowance based on total MSRP of parts in order, excluding tax, shipping and installation. Offer may not be combined with any other offers or discounts. Offer subject to availability. Chevrolet.com/accessories orders only from a participating dealer. Excludes non-accessory items shown. Offer valid 3/1/22 through 4/4/22."

Also ordered two of the side plates as well as the tie down points.

And just a FYI... I blame Baz as he posted picture of his truck and I like the look.. So Baz you'll get my bill :) Just kidding of course, I want to thank you again for the pictures and the information, much appreciated.

Now I just need to get the black traction boards...

Last edited:
Was just notified the rack in on backorder - no eta. Once received and installed, I will post pictures.

I was looking forward to getting the rack, but after checking Putco website which states "Usually Ships on or before Mon, Aug 29", I have decided to canceled it. Main reason for getting was trip to Outer Banks and it won't arrive in time.
Guess I shouldn't have ordered is on April fools day :rolleyes:

It a shame, I thought it would look awesome on my black Trail Boss.

View attachment 2898

Hi! Can you explain what you mean about the rack 'sticking out'? Based on all of these photos, it's smaller than the dimensions of the cab and bed from every perspective. Where is it sticking out, and in what manner? Thanks!

It does not follow the cab line perfectly. Where it comes out of the bed, it sticks out slightly before turning. See picture.
@Baz - would you be so kind to take a front to rear picture to show us better.

1654541603473.png

It does not follow the cab line perfectly. Where it comes out of the bed, it sticks out slightly before turning. See picture.
@Baz - would you be so kind to take a front to rear picture to show us better.

View attachment 3301
Oh that's kind of odd! Thank you for this angle. Much appreciated! I wonder if that whistles a bit at highway speeds.

If I had to guess, the rack was probably designed for the pre-2019 model Silverado. Don't quote me on this but, I think 2019 the cab was redesigned (angles in quicker than previous models). Would take quite a bit of expense for Putco to design just for the 2019+ and have in stock.
As far as whistling, I would imagine it doesn't as it doesn't seem to stick out that far. Would have to confirm from someone who has one though.

Most Reactions

Back