What's new

Misfire

KDub

Reaction score
2021 Trailboss Check engine light came on, under warranty so I took it to dealer. Engine has a misfire on 1 and 3 cylinder. Waiting on dealer to figure out why its happening. Anyone else have this occur?

Did you ever get a resolve on this? My check engine light came on at 800 miles with a misfire/ emissions code. Also had rough idle, so they replaced the lifters. Check engine light started flashing on the way home from the dealership. Usually it flashes for a bit and occasionally goes solid for a while. I've had it in a few times and no resolution. They want me to leave it, but they do not have a loaner available that I can work out of. I brought it in for an oil change and they test drove it, turned off the light and said they couldn't duplicate it. This was right before a 2700 mile trip I was taking. This whole time I keep being to to keep driving it, I'm next on the list for a loaner. I currently have over 11k miles on it now with no resolution. I started keeping a log of when the light flashes and goes solid.

Did you ever get a resolve on this? My check engine light came on at 800 miles with a misfire/ emissions code. Also had rough idle, so they replaced the lifters. Check engine light started flashing on the way home from the dealership. Usually it flashes for a bit and occasionally goes solid for a while. I've had it in a few times and no resolution. They want me to leave it, but they do not have a loaner available that I can work out of. I brought it in for an oil change and they test drove it, turned off the light and said they couldn't duplicate it. This was right before a 2700 mile trip I was taking. This whole time I keep being to to keep driving it, I'm next on the list for a loaner. I currently have over 11k miles on it now with no resolution. I started keeping a log of when the light flashes and goes solid.
Your situation sounds just like mine, the dealer couldn't duplicate the issue. They cleared the code and it came back on while driving home. So I just started to think what could it be causing it. It started soon after I filled up my gas tank. So when I filled back up I put in 89 octane fuel. I haven't had the engine light come back on since and that's been 6000 miles now. It took about 50-60 miles and the light went away after filling up with 89. I'm tempted to go back to 87 octane and see if it will throw a check engine light.
I have a buddy who has a 2019 TB and he only runs high octane and has 25,000 miles and never had an issue. Hopefully this helps you and its only a minor up cost in fuel.

Just curious if you had a chance to change fuel.
Put 93 in it at the beginning of the week, light was off... came on about 70 miles in. still does the flashing for a bit then back to a solid check engine light. Put 89 in it this morning. pretty sure its gonna be more bad lifters or coil packs.

Put 93 in it at the beginning of the week, light was off... came on about 70 miles in. still does the flashing for a bit then back to a solid check engine light. Put 89 in it this morning. pretty sure its gonna be more bad lifters or coil packs.
Sorry to hear. Best of luck to you. Hope it gets figured out soon.

2021 Trailboss Check engine light came on, under warranty so I took it to dealer. Engine has a misfire on 1 and 3 cylinder. Waiting on dealer to figure out why its happening. Anyone else have this occur?
19 Boss here - truck runs great, then runs like shit. 62.000 miles. Feels like a misfire...get that ticking noise from engine. Then it just goes away and runs great.....im pretty pissed off. Seems to fluctuate with the weather....as temperature and humidity change, so does engine performance....never had CEL come on....bought it certified used with 3k miles. I don't understand....the problem seems to be accompanied by a manic transmission that just freaks out occasionally at stop and go speeds.....computer issue? It's been doing this forever....had it into dealer a while back, got the ok...big surprise....any thoughts?

Thanks in advance....i'm pretty angry right now

edit: has 5.3L V8 with 8 speed trans

disabled DFM - same issues occurred prior to disabling

Also, the '19 has DFM, not AFM, correct?

Seriously - any advice/tips very welcome....I'm to the point of wanting to sell the damn thing.....but....not impressed at all.....POS in my opinion

Mobile 1 full synthetic 0w-20 forever. Should I consider a different oil in cold temps??

Thanks again
20210125_115234.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet it's a lifter spring issue on one of the dfm cylinders. Odd at that mileage though.

It was running like a damn beast the other day when it snowed and we had 80% humidity....now we are at 34% humidity....running like an old golf cart

you know what....i did go to a different gas station than usual last time.....i've noticed in the past that perhaps there is a correlation when I switch stations...I always run premium detergent gasoline regardless of the station.

Seems exceptionally odd that there is no CEL...ever. I'll prob. run scan tool later and post back with results.

Also....yesterday...for the first time ever...had the GPS cut out and radio was playing FM and Pandora music at the same time....very weird...totally new.

Sure....could be a fuel issue. My issues were with

Most Reactions

Back