What's new

New Trail boss on the way....

Wvufan

Reaction score
I have a 2021 trailboss 5.3L custom on order. 6-8 weeks for delivery I was told. Anyone have any issues with theirs? Anything to keep an eye on? Thanks. First new truck in nearly a decade. Pretty excited.

My order was entered March 10th.

With all of the parts shortages, I think we are in for a long wait.

I have a 2021 trailboss 5.3L custom on order. 6-8 weeks for delivery I was told. Anyone have any issues with theirs? Anything to keep an eye on? Thanks. First new truck in nearly a decade. Pretty excited.
Congrats man, such a good feeling. My only suggestion is getting rid of the "dynamic fuel management " on these trucks. Especially if you plan on getting exhaust. I have two complaints on this truck and thats one of them....although it looks like for what I've been reading that most 2021s with the 5.3 aren't comin with DFM because of a parts shortage thank goodness....my only other complaint is the tiny gas tank. Ridiculous that GM gets away with putting that small of a gas tank in these things. Anyways congrats, sorry for the rant!

What's wrong with the dynamic fuel management? I don't know for certain if my 2012 has it. Doubtful. And with regard to fuel tank, are they 24 gallon tanks? My 2012 has a 26 gallon.

Congrats man, such a good feeling. My only suggestion is getting rid of the "dynamic fuel management " on these trucks. Especially if you plan on getting exhaust. I have two complaints on this truck and thats one of them....although it looks like for what I've been reading that most 2021s with the 5.3 aren't comin with DFM because of a parts shortage thank goodness....my only other complaint is the tiny gas tank. Ridiculous that GM gets away with putting that small of a gas tank in these things. Anyways congrats, sorry for the rant!
Interesting. How would I figure out if my 2021 5.3 has the DFM or not?

DFM is in the higher trim levels. My Custom trim level has the AFM, Active Fuel Management. Difference is AFM can only shut down Four of the cylinders, and I think it is always the same four.

But DFM can shut down any number or even ALL OF THEM when it's appropriate ... I guess for a miles-long downhill. It will indicate on the Window Sticker whether it has Active or Dynamic.

My 2011 Silverado had only 23 gallons useable, and that worked fine for many long trips, such as to either coast or to Idaho. I am currently getting about 20 MPG ... even calculated from a Fill-up, not just the Average in the DIC.

I have thought about why I'm getting such good gas mileage. We are at an elevation of about 5,000 feet. There is less air up here, and the fuel system is regulated by how much air is being drawn in. Less air means less Horsepower and less fuel used.

In my airplane, which has an engine that produces 118 HP at sea level, it has been calculated that at 10,000 feet it only produces 61 HP Wide Open Throttle. Not much, but enough to go 165 MPH steady. A friend flies his similar airplane at 17,500 feet, makes only 75 HP, draws only 5 GPH or 40 MPG ... and travels at well over 200 MPH. Less air, less horsepower, less fuel required. And less Drag, too.

edit: This altitude thing can be a little frustrating. I can't squeak the tires in anything but First in my Corvette ... because up here it just isn't making the advertised 400+ horsepower.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the dynamic fuel management? I don't know for certain if my 2012 has it. Doubtful. And with regard to fuel tank, are they 24 gallon tanks? My 2012 has a 26 gallon.
My 2013 has it, not sure when it started.
Go to the real time mpg display in your driver information center it will show V4, or V8 if you have it.

My 2013 has it, not sure when it started.
Go to the real time mpg display in your driver information center it will show V4, or V8 if you have it.
You are correct sir. 9 years I've owned this truck and never payed attention. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah I think the tanks 24 or could be 26 but buddies new F150 came with a 35 gallon tank. Not an issue if you're cruising only freeway driving not towing. Start towing anything and that 24 gallons goes real quick, especially with my thirsty 6.2 haha

And yes the dynamic fuel management sucks. Prob still better then the active fuel management of yesteryear but it gets amplified with any kind of aftermarket exhaust

Hello fellow Mountaineer! Born and raised in in Parkersburg myself and spent countless, blurry hours in Morgantown during my younger days!
Yes sir. My time in Morgantown is pretty foggy too. We know what happens on game day!

I guess I will have to call the dealership to find out if mine has it. Mine is a 2021 model bought 3 weeks ago. The window build sticker shows to have AFM.

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back