What's new

Oil Separator Filling Up Fast

brewtus

Reaction score
How often is everyone needing to empty their catch cans? Installed mine at 7000 miles and it used to go 1k-2k miles before filling. Now with cold weather I just ran 600 miles of highway and it is full already with a lot more condensation vs. oil. Everyone else seeing the same thing? Anyone use the can extensions available to prevent the need from emptying so much?

It's possible you are getting more water in your fuel. If you aren't already, try filling up with top tier and ethanol-free fuels over the next tank or two, see if that slows it down.

It's possible you are getting more water in your fuel. If you aren't already, try filling up with top tier and ethanol-free fuels over the next tank or two, see if that slows it down.
Very interesting suggestion! I did fill up from local farm/co-op pump that I normally don't use, and it was a FULL TANK fill-up.

This is due to the cold weather. Warm air from the crankcase is entering the cold catch can and thus causing condensation. This is an issue with catch cans, but oil and air separators are made to address this and don’t have this issue because it uses a coolant line to warm up the can.

Your option is to either empty the can more regularly in the winter until it warms back up or remove it completely.

Last edited:
Another question - anyone notice more fumes or burning oil type smell from the engine compartment since installing a catch can? Don't see any leaks anywhere, and the can is on the base tight with no leaks, o-ring is good but I really notice the smell from the engine compartment now. Especially when motoring around stop and go driving.

Most Reactions

Back