What's new

Ordered...But how long?

DuckyDJ

Reaction score
Hello...
I ordered a new 2022 Trail Boss (Sand Dune Metallic) at my dealer's on May 27th. ...It is June 23rd today.
I didn't really follow what my dealer was trying to explain about the order not being at GM until a slot opens up & they accept it. ...But it was something along those lines.
Anyway, does anyone have a guesstimate as to how long it might be before GM accepts my order?
It would just be nice to know that the wheels are in motion. ...so to speak.
Right now, I feel like I don't want to get my hopes up that I'll even get the truck. ...since GM hasn't even accepted the order yet.
I appreciate any feedback.

The dealer has to have an open order allocation for the order to be placed. Once they have one they can place the order and GM can slot it for production. I was lucky the dealer had an open order allocation after they couldn't find the truck I want. I ordered it and it was at the dealer in 5 weeks. I'm in Michigan and it was produced in Fort Wayne IN. I had talked to the sales lady on Tuesday and it was released for production and it was at the dealer lot on that Thursday!

Dude you're likely to be a a couple of months. I'd honestly set the expectation at 90 days if you're super lucky, 120 most likely unless we run into more shortages (likely).

Just don't get on the dealership guys because they don't have any control over the JIT issues

To give you an idea for my ‘22 LTD TB LT 6.2:

11/16/2021 - Accepted by Product Control
1/12/2022 - Scheduled for Production
2/1/2022 - Produced/Built
6/17/2022 - Arrived at dealership

Hopefully yours goes a lot faster.

Must have been built short then. There were tons of trucks "In Transit" when I was trying to buy mine that had the options I wanted but were all 5.3's. I think the reason I got mine so quick was because I opted for the 6.2.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Ikaika, forgive my ignorance. What shortages? And what does JIT stand for? I promise I won't harass the dealership.
:)

I feel like I could be in for a long wait...huh? And soon, my order may be encroaching on the 2023 push. I could be competing with whatever quota of 2023 they need to build.
UGH...

Thanks for the feedback all!

Ikaika, forgive my ignorance. What shortages? And what does JIT stand for? I promise I won't harass the dealership.
:)

I feel like I could be in for a long wait...huh? And soon, my order may be encroaching on the 2023 push. I could be competing with whatever quota of 2023 they need to build.
UGH...
A good example is the semiconductor shortage but there are going to be more disruptions.

Just in Time (JIT) is the manufacturing method of producing parts based on demand as opposed to manufacturing a bunch of surplus parts in advance.

Essentially, they build (or order through sub-manufacturers) parts as they need instead of having a warehouse filled with V8 parts.

At this point it's the global model and works brilliantly until there's a snag in the supply chain. In our current environment the situation was bonkers and is demonstrated with computer chips. Multiple consumer products relied on a similar material. Because so many consumers products rely on it the pressure came from multiple industries as opposed to one. In theory, my purchase of a PS5 and a Series X caused the delay of your (and mine) TB. While they don't rely on the same exact chip they do rely on the same base materials.

At the heart of the issue is a lack of innovation which is arguably driven by lame (but effective) business strategies of only evolving (i.e.: dedicate financial resources) when forced to. Madden is a great example of this.

Anyhow, that's my best attempt to keep JIT approachable (after smoking a bowl).

@Ikaika
I have to admit that I just don't understand how the pandemic caused all this shortage/chip mess.
Did they just close down plants or something? ...Seems odd to me since I still had to work just like normal. :)
Regardless, I'll just be patient and HOPE that my order goes through.

@Ikaika
I have to admit that I just don't understand how the pandemic caused all this shortage/chip mess.
Did they just close down plants or something? ...Seems odd to me since I still had to work just like normal. :)
100% worth the wait, bud. I grabbed a ZR2 Silverado because someone backed out and the TB with a Pulsar is chippier but the tech upgrades and suspension are ridiculous.

@Ikaika
Because people weren't buying vehicles or traveling because of the Covid lockdowns. People were staying home and buying TVs and game systems so manufacturers shifted product mix towards those. They hit max capacity and can't make enough for both markets. It didn't help that the crazy winter in Texas froze up their wind turbines and took that plant offline. There was a fire in one in Taiwan that caused a partial shutdown. I think there was another issue at the 3rd of 4 plants in the WORLD that make microchips. Things are only going more and more electronic and computer controlled so the demand is higher than production capacity. Last I heard it will be into 2024 before things get back close to "normal".

Because people weren't buying vehicles or traveling because of the Covid lockdowns. People were staying home and buying TVs and game systems so manufacturers shifted product mix towards those. They hit max capacity and can't make enough for both markets. It didn't help that the crazy winter in Texas froze up their wind turbines and took that plant offline. There was a fire in one in Taiwan that caused a partial shutdown. I think there was another issue at the 3rd of 4 plants in the WORLD that make microchips. Things are only going more and more electronic and computer controlled so the demand is higher than production capacity. Last I heard it will be into 2024 before things get back close to "normal".
Makes sense.
I'm not a gamer guy at all. And not much TV either. So I didn't even consider that shift.
Perhaps a little surplus would not be a bad thing? All businesses need to have a disaster recovery plan I guess. :)

Just to add a bit more context...

Automotive engineers have been using older, larger chipsets for years. Most of the tech world has moved on much faster and uses smaller, more capable chips en masse. When COVID slowed the world the automotive OEMS were the largest consumers of the older chipsets and they were all pretty much coming out of just a few plants. Since OE production was slated to slow way down, chip production was also reduced. But then there were some natural disasters that impacted those plants and vehicle production rebounded much faster than anticipated.

Those plants that were capable of making these chips had shifted some of their capacity to smaller chips, that autos didn't use yet. Plus a plant or two were offline. So after the COVID slowdown we didn't even have the same capacity to make enough of the older automotive chips.

It has been improving over time but the biggest benefit is OEMs are starting to shift toward more modern chips. Unfortunately, automotive engineering is far from an overnight process.

Interesting...
So...the question:
Is my order going to go through and am I going to get my truck? :)

Most Reactions

Latest Discussions...

Back