What's new

Possible lifter failure

crice2425

Reaction score
Damn.... I think the lifter problem found my truck. The check parking brake light, ESC light and the check engine light are on. And OnStar is telling me I have an emissions system problem. The engine makes a ping noise for about 15 seconds and shacks a little and then the noise stops. It's a 2022 5.3 with 15,000 miles. Towing it to the dealer today and have an appointment Monday Jan 8th. Stay tuned.

Yikes!!! Definitely sounds like the lifter issue..
Yep... hoping not. Lol. Now I'm wondering about the inventory of replacement parts. And how long the repair is gonna take. Also if a loaner/rental car will be provided. Rental cars are hard to come by.

Yep... hoping not. Lol. Now I'm wondering about the inventory of replacement parts. And how long the repair is gonna take. Also if a loaner/rental car will be provided. Rental cars are hard to come by.
Happened to me just a couple months back. If it is any consolation, repairs only took a week.

Damn.... I think the lifter problem found my truck. The check parking brake light, ESC light and the check engine light are on. And OnStar is telling me I have an emissions system problem. The engine makes a ping noise for about 15 seconds and shacks a little and then the noise stops. It's a 2022 5.3 with 15,000 miles. Towing it to the dealer today and have an appointment Monday Jan 8th. Stay tuned.
*UPDATE*
At the dealer this morning. It is a lifter failure and I asked the service guy "I thought they were supposed to fix those before they went out to the customer?" And I got the most lost look on his face. I also asked him "What do they do to fix those?" And he said "they replace the whole bank" which is a better answer then when I expected. Curious to see how long it'll take to fix. They are gonna put me in a rental car. So there is some positive news. Hope everyone has a wonderful day and a great week.

What was your build date?
So I'm getting conflicting info on how to find the build date and the truck isn't with me. Please help? Is it the 7th and 9th characters of the VIN?

check your door jamb sticker with all of the RPO codes on it. Should give Month/Year. Can be narrowed down further by lookin at any number of component stickers on the truck that give month/day/year and time. My seat mounting brackets on rear seat had them, wiring harnesses do, many places to look.
IMG_0656.JPG

check your door jamb sticker with all of the RPO codes on it. Should give Month/Year. Can be narrowed down further by lookin at any number of component stickers on the truck that give month/day/year and time. My seat mounting brackets on rear seat had them, wiring harnesses do, many places to look.View attachment 4690
Yes, the truck is at the dealership getting fixed right now, so I won't have access to it

Also, to get the engine date - on the back of the passenger cylinder head from underneath.......

Julian date A=Plant 2=2nd shift 21 is year and 228 is the day of the year (8/16/21). Good luck and let us know how the repairs turn out.

IMG_0665.JPG

*UPDATE*
At the dealer this morning. It is a lifter failure and I asked the service guy "I thought they were supposed to fix those before they went out to the customer?" And I got the most lost look on his face. I also asked him "What do they do to fix those?" And he said "they replace the whole bank" which is a better answer then when I expected. Curious to see how long it'll take to fix. They are gonna put me in a rental car. So there is some positive news. Hope everyone has a wonderful day and a great week.
At least they do the whole bank. I was angry that they didn't replace both sides if they know there is an issue, and while they have the intake manifold off.

Most Reactions

Back