What's new

Pulsar LT preventing lifter failure?

brewtus

Reaction score
OK, I just kicked over 8k miles on my '21. I was purposely waiting until then to disable DFM to make sure I didn't have the lifter failure, as the original TSB was for 8k to replace both banks if they fail, now its up to 16k miles. Anyhow, I am thinking of the Pulsar LT to prevent the switching on/off all the time and minimize the opportunities for failure. Also, I can hear and slightly feel the DFM kicking in on highway even with stock exhaust. I want 10th gear back on the highway and not have to run L9! With all that said, has anyone had the Pulsar on to disable DFM for extended mileage WITHOUT lifter failures. Looking for some good evidence to support purchasing one other than just getting rid of the nuisance of it.

Also, I did run an '07 up to 130k+ miles with AFM and no failures, and had a '16 with DFM that went to 28k OK, but want to keep this truck well into the 100k+ mileage range

Thanks.

Pulsar does nothing to prevent lifter failure. It is a faulty metal part failure, it has nothing to do with the electronics. There is a guy on YouTube I had watched several of his videos and he had a Pulsar and STILL had lifter failure. He was under the false impression the Pulsar would prevent lifter failures.

I understand that. For vehicles where lifters are not KNOWN FAULTY (the bad batch late 2020/early 2021), a "switching failure" can still cause a bent pushrod by mis-timing event. If the lifters aren't switching on/off all the time, then mis-timing cannot occur and cannot cause a bent pushrod. I do understand lifters are a mechanical component and can still fail, I am just trying to increase my ODDS against failure.

My '21 was NOT in the bad batch affected by the KNOWN FAULTY components that the TSB addressed - but I was still being cautious by waiting and letting the lifters exercise for the 8k miles before considering DFM disable.

The gentleman on Youtube could have 1) had an engine with bad batch, or 2) experience the switching failure (which Pulsar should have prevented) - who knows for sure.

I'm just over 10K on my 6.2 and it's driven in Drive and I drive it hard. I'm right around the border of the end date of the bad batch of lifters. There's too many funky things the Pulsar does I've seen threads on for me to want to spend $500 on a flaky add on. The only sure fire way to avoid DFM issues is to tear the motor apart and replace all the DFM parts with non DFM parts and try to find someone to tune it out of the computer.

36K on my truck. Drove with Pulsar since 6K. My truck was built 7/21 so outside of bad lifters. No problems, but worth it cause it truly unleashes that 6.2. I use it tto shut off DFM, up the speed limiter and change throttle sensitivity. My truck didnt come with auto stop/start cause of chip shortage. Thank God for that.

I think the lifter failures are specific, but not exclusive to build dates prior to 5/2021. Can anyone confirm this?

Lifter failures have been happening on Chev/GMC trucks with AFM and DFM for years; there does appear to be a specific build timeframe that seems more prone to this though and I often wonder if it was related to factory (Silao vs Fort Wayne).
I work with someone who's 2016 Silverado had a lifter failure about a year after he bought it brand new. So it's not specific to the 2019-2022 generation.
I'm not sure who on here has the title of "newest truck with a lifter failure" though. My 2022 LTD has about 25k miles on it and so far so good. 🤞🏻

Last edited:
I have the pulsar lt installed for this very reason to prevent a possible issue, now whether or not it truly works? All I know is that I do like the features of the pricey device.

36K on my truck. Drove with Pulsar since 6K. My truck was built 7/21 so outside of bad lifters. No problems, but worth it cause it truly unleashes that 6.2. I use it tto shut off DFM, up the speed limiter and change throttle sensitivity. My truck didnt come with auto stop/start cause of chip shortage. Thank God for that.
Hi, do you know the difference in mpg after adding the pulsar? I have a 21 6.2,just towing a utility trailer it goes from about 19.5 to 11 mpg on hwy.

Lifter failures have been happening on Chev/GMC trucks with AFM and DFM for years; there does appear to be a specific build timeframe that seems more prone to this though and I often wonder if it was related to factory (Silao vs Fort Wayne).
I work with someone who's 2016 Silverado had a lifter failure about a year after he bought it brand new. So it's not specific to the 2019-2022 generation.
I'm not sure who on here has the title of "newest truck with a lifter failure" though. My 2022 LTD has about 25k miles on it and so far so good. 🤞🏻
Just looked back at the TSB for the KNOWN suspect lifter batch was from 9/1/20 through 3/31/21. Just ordered Pulsar LT for mine - I am outside the range with an engine build of 8/16/21, but less switching on/off of the lifters = less chance to fail......

I have the pulsar lt installed for this very reason to prevent a possible issue, now whether or not it truly works? All I know is that I do like the features of the pricey device.
Agree! I have had mine in since 4000 miles. Now at 25000 miles and no problems. Love the pulsar. Build date 8/21 5.3L

Last edited:
Just looked back at the TSB for the KNOWN suspect lifter batch was from 9/1/20 through 3/31/21. Just ordered Pulsar LT for mine - I am outside the range with an engine build of 8/16/21, but less switching on/off of the lifters = less chance to fail......
My truck was built in 2/21. I need to check that engine build date although it is most definitely in that bad batch.☠️

Installed Pulsar yesterday. Turned DFM off and Level 2 (15%) increased throttle response. Huge improvement in driveability on highway - feels much smoother and throttle is crisp. Well worth it in my opinion, especially if you have to disable start / stop too. Mine never came with that due to chip shortage. Anyway highly recommended.

Most Reactions

Back