What's new

Rear window leak??

The dealership had mine replaced by a glass company after trying the sealing repair first.... which didn't work.

The new rear window hasn't leaked since its install about a year ago!

GM dealer tech here...I see this all the time after it rains. GM released a bulletin to remove the third brake lamp spoiler and attempt to reseal the window with seam sealer. If that does not work then rear window replacement is necessary. I just bought a 2021 and im crossing my fingers they have corrected the shitty rear window sealant problem.

Do you have any idea why the new TSB notes that the 11611049 nuts have to be replaced? Is it because the seal that comes with the nut is compromised when removing it? I find it ridiculous to have to buy (8) $4 nuts to replace perfectly good ones.

Is there an aftermarket rear glass option that’s better quality than the GM part? I want to get this fixed one time only.

Just curious if any of you have experienced the rear window leak that seems to be prevalent on these new body style GM trucks? I also follow the GM Truck Forum and there are hundreds of pages of comments from owners that have experienced a leak.

The leak is most common with the T1 trucks with rear sliders, though they have not completely ruled out the possibility of it coming from the roof spoiler. I initially learned of the issue on the forum before I actually experienced it myself, but it got me looking! Sure enough each time I wash the truck I find water drops running down the inside of the rear window, on the driver's side! It has only been slight up to now but any leak is a bad leak and it sounds like from other's comments on the GM forum that it gets worse!!

The fix or TSB from GM looks like a mess, they initially silicone around the outside of the rear window, and some of the pictures posted of the work completed looks horrendous. I asked my Service Advisor what they were doing about it and she replied this is the first she's heard of it. I am very surprised to hear this coming from the largest Chevy dealer in Kansas, I know they sell dozens of these Silverados every month?? Anyway, I am holding out until the leak becomes an issue, or they develop a better fix for it.

This is extremely disappointing to have to deal with on a new $60K truck... I certainly expected better from GM. I hate to think I may have to deal with water damage to my headliner or other interior components, as well as possible mildew concerns. I love this truck so far but this has me very concerned. I believe that the problem is widespread with the GM half tons and I'm guessing those who don't know to look for the problem are going on oblivious to the issue. I for one plan to ride my dealership hard (and Chevrolet if necessary) for a quality fix to this problem.

GM needs to hear about this from everyone who is experiencing the problem if we are going to get them to properly acknowledge and remedy the problem!!
I started this project last night. Dropping the headliner and removing spoiler to seal everything else up to stop this bullshit.

Reactions: Baz
I started this project last night. Dropping the headliner and removing spoiler to seal everything else up to stop this bullshit.
I have a leak but it isn’t visible. But for the last few months i noticed water under my weather tech mats. After going thru the car wash and after it rained and my truck was outside at work. Usually parked in my garage. But since I have 42,000 miles on it, it’s out of warranty and I only had it for two years. Local service dept said i would have to pay whatever they charge a hour to service my truck and find the leak.

Update, I fked this project up bigly......have to remove silicone and start over.

Attachments

• FvvGBNdWwAAOP4u.png
    FvvGBNdWwAAOP4u.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 8
Update, I fked this project up bigly......have to remove silicone and start over.
I ended up sticking a sponge on the window just behind the headrest to keep any water from trickling down behind the seat… working so far but it’s ghetto. It’s basically the same effort that the GM Engineers put in hahaha!

I ended up sticking a sponge on the window just behind the headrest to keep any water from trickling down behind the seat… working so far but it’s ghetto. It’s basically the same effort that the GM Engineers put in hahaha!
Lmao. Nice

Just curious if any of you have experienced the rear window leak that seems to be prevalent on these new body style GM trucks? I also follow the GM Truck Forum and there are hundreds of pages of comments from owners that have experienced a leak.

The leak is most common with the T1 trucks with rear sliders, though they have not completely ruled out the possibility of it coming from the roof spoiler. I initially learned of the issue on the forum before I actually experienced it myself, but it got me looking! Sure enough each time I wash the truck I find water drops running down the inside of the rear window, on the driver's side! It has only been slight up to now but any leak is a bad leak and it sounds like from other's comments on the GM forum that it gets worse!!

The fix or TSB from GM looks like a mess, they initially silicone around the outside of the rear window, and some of the pictures posted of the work completed looks horrendous. I asked my Service Advisor what they were doing about it and she replied this is the first she's heard of it. I am very surprised to hear this coming from the largest Chevy dealer in Kansas, I know they sell dozens of these Silverados every month?? Anyway, I am holding out until the leak becomes an issue, or they develop a better fix for it.

This is extremely disappointing to have to deal with on a new $60K truck... I certainly expected better from GM. I hate to think I may have to deal with water damage to my headliner or other interior components, as well as possible mildew concerns. I love this truck so far but this has me very concerned. I believe that the problem is widespread with the GM half tons and I'm guessing those who don't know to look for the problem are going on oblivious to the issue. I for one plan to ride my dealership hard (and Chevrolet if necessary) for a quality fix to this problem.

GM needs to hear about this from everyone who is experiencing the problem if we are going to get them to properly acknowledge and remedy the problem!!
Hey Spyderwebb I am having the same problem with water getting into my 2021 Trail boss. With the light grey interior can't tell if it is leaking by the window or not. And can't tell exactly where the water is coming from. But i just started experiencing these issues this February 2023 because my truck stayed in my garage due to me not working. But now I am back to work and I can't even take threw a car wash or leave in the rain because it takes on water so bad. Dealer won't help cause the warranty expired but when I took it to them with the problem I had 42,000 miles and the warranty was a 3 yr/36,000 miles. So don't know what to do but trade in. Any suggestions?

If I were you, I'd take it to an independent auto glass company and have them remove and reinstall the rear glass. Mine hasn't leaked since the dealership had it replaced (by an independent auto glass company). Let them know exactly what the issue is.....don't be surprised if they've encountered it before!

It's a shame that GM is not offering a recall on this!!

Good luck, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, it's a great truck otherwise!

Reactions: Baz

Most Reactions

Back