What's new

Rear window leak??

Spyderwebb

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you have experienced the rear window leak that seems to be prevalent on these new body style GM trucks? I also follow the GM Truck Forum and there are hundreds of pages of comments from owners that have experienced a leak.

The leak is most common with the T1 trucks with rear sliders, though they have not completely ruled out the possibility of it coming from the roof spoiler. I initially learned of the issue on the forum before I actually experienced it myself, but it got me looking! Sure enough each time I wash the truck I find water drops running down the inside of the rear window, on the driver's side! It has only been slight up to now but any leak is a bad leak and it sounds like from other's comments on the GM forum that it gets worse!!

The fix or TSB from GM looks like a mess, they initially silicone around the outside of the rear window, and some of the pictures posted of the work completed looks horrendous. I asked my Service Advisor what they were doing about it and she replied this is the first she's heard of it. I am very surprised to hear this coming from the largest Chevy dealer in Kansas, I know they sell dozens of these Silverados every month?? Anyway, I am holding out until the leak becomes an issue, or they develop a better fix for it.

This is extremely disappointing to have to deal with on a new $60K truck... I certainly expected better from GM. I hate to think I may have to deal with water damage to my headliner or other interior components, as well as possible mildew concerns. I love this truck so far but this has me very concerned. I believe that the problem is widespread with the GM half tons and I'm guessing those who don't know to look for the problem are going on oblivious to the issue. I for one plan to ride my dealership hard (and Chevrolet if necessary) for a quality fix to this problem.

GM needs to hear about this from everyone who is experiencing the problem if we are going to get them to properly acknowledge and remedy the problem!!

I notice water on the inside of the back window after washing too, but I live in AZ, moisture is not really an issue here., but kid dumps more water in the back of my truck, I wish GM had a fix for that too.

GM dealer tech here...I see this all the time after it rains. GM released a bulletin to remove the third brake lamp spoiler and attempt to reseal the window with seam sealer. If that does not work then rear window replacement is necessary. I just bought a 2021 and im crossing my fingers they have corrected the shitty rear window sealant problem.

Just checked the bulletin. Applies to 2020 models as well up to VIN
FLINT: # LF262557

FORT WAYNE: # LZ285396

SILAO: # LG333724

Just checked the bulletin. Applies to 2020 models as well up to VIN
FLINT: # LF262557

FORT WAYNE: # LZ285396

SILAO: # LG333724
My 20 was assembled at Ft Wayne and is a higher VIN than what you have here...about 6,000 higher! so that list is not accurate!

Last edited:
My 20 was assembled at Ft Wayne and is a higher VIN then what you have here...about 6,000 higher! so that list is not accurate!
I'm just stating what the bulletin lists. Doesn't mean any truck outside that list wont have an issue, that just what GM states.

2021 Trail Boss here. Made an appt, soonest they had was 12/28. I have 1000mi in the odometer.

Attachments

• 7C54BB13-3F21-46C0-9CFA-1029D9CB7871.jpeg
    7C54BB13-3F21-46C0-9CFA-1029D9CB7871.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 6E32C22C-B7D2-4F08-9E77-52709F84CD74.jpeg
    6E32C22C-B7D2-4F08-9E77-52709F84CD74.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 259
I had this issue "fixed" on 12.21.2020. I went through car was today, and although no visible water is on the seats, window, rail etc. etc. I did take a napkin and place it between the headliner and the window. Low and behold, it was moist. Not very moist at all, but however it was moist. So I called dealer, I would like the entire window replaced, but the dealer said since they fixed it via the TSB, they need to contact the GM Engineer (??) to see what the next step is. Seems like trying to re fix this band aid job is just a waste of the dealers time as well as mine.

Mine just showed a drop around the plastic piece (the other drops on the window are all outside). So I’m just debating if I should watch it for now and see if it gets worse, or bring it in to the dealership during the holidays so they can rip it apart and do a half-assed holiday patch job. Does anyone know if my Putco rack would need to be removed for the techs to work?

Attachments

• 35412513-275F-4A84-970A-14B59A1A2986.jpeg
    35412513-275F-4A84-970A-14B59A1A2986.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 92

Most Reactions

Back