What's new

Snow Cables, not chains??

Elk Hunter

Reaction score
I do a lot of hunting all over the west with my Trail Boss, in fact it's a dedicated hunting rig and set up as such. Part of my gear has always been a good set of tire chains, but per the owner's manual you must use cables and not chains due to ABS wiring clearance and possible damage. I purchased a pair of cables as recommended, but honestly have never had any experience with cables and I'm afraid of their lack of strength and ability to hold up. To date I haven't needed them as the Trail Boss has been excellent in snow and mud for me so far.
Has anyone had any experience and used either chains or cables in snow and mud with their Trail Boss? Mine's a 2020 LT Trail Boss 5.3, 29,000 miles and zero problems.

I do a lot of hunting all over the west with my Trail Boss, in fact it's a dedicated hunting rig and set up as such. Part of my gear has always been a good set of tire chains, but per the owner's manual you must use cables and not chains due to ABS wiring clearance and possible damage. I purchased a pair of cables as recommended, but honestly have never had any experience with cables and I'm afraid of their lack of strength and ability to hold up. To date I haven't needed them as the Trail Boss has been excellent in snow and mud for me so far.
Has anyone had any experience and used either chains or cables in snow and mud with their Trail Boss? Mine's a 2020 LT Trail Boss 5.3, 29,000 miles and zero problems.
I don't have experience with either on my Trail Boss, but I only have experience with chains in the past. Someone did point out to me that if I wanted to upgrade my tires to 35's someday, that I would not have room to put chains on my tires. He pointed out how close that arm is on the inside edge of the front tires, as it already barely has any clearance between that and the tire. So I suppose this makes sense.

I would suggest seeing if you can get a measurement between your tire and any tight spots, and see how that compares to the chain link widths on the set you are looking to purchase.

Yeah, with the 1-1/2 inch wheel spacers that I added, there seems to be plenty of clearance for Chains. I've been out several times using my Piedmont chains without problems.

It sounds like there isn't enough room unless the 1.5" wheel spacers are added. Is that what you're seeing?

Tight-fitting chains seem warranted. The Piedmont set that I use (link above in Pistols post) fit very well, with no need for spiders to pull them tight. And good quality, so that it is unlikely that the chains will break. Security Chain, Piedmont ... do not use cheap knockoffs not made in USA. I've seen videos on utoob showing cheap tire chains breaking immediately.

Without these chains I would never have been able to pull Elk Hunter Scott (Ford F250) out of the snow at Boswell Creek CO/WY State Line.

InSnow.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you running 1.5 wheel spacers or as the truck is set up from the factory? I'd like to not run spacers if possible.

Yes, I installed Supreme Suspensions 1-1/2" spacers (AmericanTrucks.com) ... originally just for the (a.) more Stable steering, and the (b.) more attractive Stance. Only later did I realize the (probable) necessity for using chains.

And it was even later that I was reminded that bolt Torque for the Spacers and the stock Wheels is 140 ftlbs., not just 100 ftlbs. I have done some rock crawling, lots of jeep trails and dirt roads, deep snow while towing, and 20,000+ miles at freeway speeds. Spacers work well.

Most Reactions

Back