What's new

So am I hearing GDI "Tick"?

BenchTest

Reaction score
I haven't been able to see a specific chat going on here addressing this, so I'll ask. I have a '21 5.3L that has a low-volume, defined, rythmic "tick, tick, tick" about once every 3/4 of a second. Is this the side effect of a GDI engine and it's high pressure fuel pump? Guessing it's normal on these engines? Thanks folks!

Roller tick? As in roller lifter? That'd be a hard pill to swallow at 83 miles. It does not change between hot/warm/cold, nor does it change cadence with RPM.

Then not that. If it’s not changing with temp or RPM. Where is the sound coming from? Is it at idle or does it persist when in gear?

If the engine is running, it's present. I'm sure it's still there at higher RPM, but with engine revs, I lose the ability to hear the noise. It's not loud enough to hear over everything else.

If the engine is running, it's present. I'm sure it's still there at higher RPM, but with engine revs, I lose the ability to hear the noise. It's not loud enough to hear over everything else.
I believe these trucks have high pressure fuel pumps ?

Yes, it's a GDI engine, so it has a high pressure pump as well as a low pressure or "transfer" pump in the tank.
Figured it did. Explains the ticking noise. Lexus also has the famous tick on there vehicles due to the high pressure fuel pumps

Most Reactions

Back